PDA

View Full Version : Boston University Terriers 2015-2016 Season Thread Part the 1st

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

Sean Pickett
12-05-2015, 12:34 PM
Complete no-show game after the first five minutes. Very disappointing. They can't afford to dig themselves in too big a hole so early in the season.I agree, the worst game I have seen this season (note: I have only been to home games, so I have can't compare it to the Connecticut loss at Hartford. I was especially disappointed with their play in the third after tying it up. And the last two minutes was excruciating.

I also think Coach Quinn made a mistake starting Maguire and then leaving him in the entire game. Truthfully, I was expecting LaCouvee to be the starting goalie the rest of the season and was surprised to see Maguire in net. I talked to another fan after the game who though Maguire had a good game, but I feel that LaCouvee could have made the difference last night. I have been disappointed in Maguire's play this season and last night when he gave up the breakaway goal after the bad turnover I was reminded that it seems to me is unable to stop the puck when facing a breakaway (and which is highlighted when compared to LaCouvee stopping a penalty shot and then doing well in a shootout).

Sean

brassbonanza
12-05-2015, 12:43 PM
I agree, the worst game I have seen this season (note: I have only been to home games, so I have can't compare it to the Connecticut loss at Hartford. I was especially disappointed with their play in the third after tying it up. And the last two minutes was excruciating.

I also think Coach Quinn made a mistake starting Maguire and then leaving him in the entire game. Truthfully, I was expecting LaCouvee to be the starting goalie the rest of the season and was surprised to see Maguire in net. I talked to another fan after the game who though Maguire had a good game, but I feel that LaCouvee could have made the difference last night. I have been disappointed in Maguire's play this season and last night when he gave up the breakaway goal after the bad turnover I was reminded that it seems to me is unable to stop the puck when facing a breakaway (and which is highlighted when compared to LaCouvee stopping a penalty shot and then doing well in a shootout).

Sean

While the breakaway goal was weak as far as breakaway goals go, Maguire wasn't the reason they lost. No one would've stopped their third goal because all five guys were standing around not moving their feet and the UVM guy had a clean net to shoot on after that pass. I expect Connor to play tonight though.

mookie1995
12-05-2015, 07:19 PM
Lucky
That was a bull**** call to make. If the refs don't see it to call they shouldn't be able to conference together and a dude is laying on the ice.

Sean Pickett
12-05-2015, 09:44 PM
Lucky
That was a bull**** call to make. If the refs don't see it to call they shouldn't be able to conference together and a dude is laying on the ice.I missed the game as my daughter had two of her own, but I don't mind if refs confer to get a call right. When they get it wrong however...

While the breakaway goal was weak as far as breakaway goals go, Maguire wasn't the reason they lost. No one would've stopped their third goal because all five guys were standing around not moving their feet and the UVM guy had a clean net to shoot on after that pass. I expect Connor to play tonight though.Yes, but I'm not so sure that LaCouvee would have given up the first or second goals. That said, he gave up too many goals today, but it would appear the team played better overall so it didn't cost them.

Does anyone know why Sneddon replaced Mike Santaguida with Pat Feeley after the third BU goal?

Sean

Sean Pickett
12-05-2015, 09:52 PM
So, a hat trick each game, plus an extra goal in one of the games? Anyone recall the last time a Terrier had back-to-back hat tricks?Well, Ahti didn't quite match the 7-1-8 scoring line this weekend.

Chris Drury was the last player to have back-to-back hat tricks for the Terriers: he scored 4 goals vs. Merrimack on 9 Dec 1995 and had a hat trick and an assist vs. Dartmouth on 12 Dec 1995.

Sean

Scarlet
12-05-2015, 09:58 PM
Does anyone know why Sneddon replaced Mike Santaguida with Pat Feeley after the third BU goal?

He got hurt. He looked like he was in a lot of pain.

Harry Cleverly
12-05-2015, 10:04 PM
Lucky
That was a bull**** call to make. If the refs don't see it to call they shouldn't be able to conference together and a dude is laying on the ice.

If the two referees don't see it, but one of the linesmen do, they can confer and make the call. Especially when it is something egregious.

Harry Cleverly
12-05-2015, 10:09 PM
Sean

Maguire was the primary reason that Parker's last team got to the Hockey East finals, and lost 1-0 to a much-better Lowell team. He has proven to be a big game goaltender.
He is still working his way back after a year off.
I will take Maguire's best over the best that I have seen so far from LaCouvee, who has been the better goalie this year.
Quinn did not blame Maguire for Friday's loss, nor should anyone else.

mookie1995
12-05-2015, 10:28 PM
If the two referees don't see it, but one of the linesmen do, they can confer and make the call. Especially when it is something egregious.

the two refs were looking at it and didn't raise an arm. heck MOOKIE was looking at it and didn't see a penalty. something EGREGIOUS that would cause a 5 minute major generally isn't something that nobody in black/white except for the single linesman is a stretch.

that all came about cause Doyle laid there and brought about a stoppage whistle. they figured they had to call something

Sean Pickett
12-05-2015, 10:32 PM
Maguire was the primary reason that Parker's last team got to the Hockey East finals, and lost 1-0 to a much-better Lowell team. He has proven to be a big game goaltender.
He is still working his way back after a year off.
I will take Maguire's best over the best that I have seen so far from LaCouvee, who has been the better goalie this year.
Quinn did not blame Maguire for Friday's loss, nor should anyone else.I agree Maguire was a big game goaltender and I think he was better than O'Connor their first two seasons. I believe I also wrote a few posts stating that before the season started. However, after watching him in several games this season and looking at this stats it is apparent he is not the same this season as he was his first two seasons. LaCouvee is the better goalie this season and that is what is important. It also appears to me that the team plays better in front of LaCouvee for whatever reason.

As for blaming a goalie for a loss, it will always happen. I recall a few here blaming O'Connor for losing the NC game, yet I recall Coach Quinn did not blame him. Coach Quinn does not appear to be one to throw any of his players under the bus and I respect that. Furthermore, I said the whole team played poorly, but that a better goaltending performance may have pulled a win (or tie) out of the game. There are times you need a goalie to win you the game and this season I have no confidence that Maguire is capable of doing that.

He got hurt. He looked like he was in a lot of pain.Thank for the information. You never like to hear that. I hope it is not serious.

Sean

brassbonanza
12-05-2015, 10:46 PM

As was explained to me, linesmen can only confer and call things that aren't judgmental - black and white calls like too many men. This was a judgmental call, one that was 100% missed.

Re: Santaguida's injury, it looked like he hurt his back from what I saw in how he was slumping over. Seems he actually hurt it a few seconds before we scored the third goal when he was down and lost his stick. Tough for him, he played really well all weekend.

Sean Pickett
12-06-2015, 10:02 AM
As was explained to me, linesmen can only confer and call things that aren't judgmental - black and white calls like too many men. This was a judgmental call, one that was 100% missed.I checked the 2014-16 NCAA Men's and Women's Ice Hockey Rules and Interpretations (http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/IH16.pdf) and rule 34.3 is very clear that linesmen are required to tell the referees of any penalties that they see:

34.3 Stopping Play - The lineman shall stop play:
1. When the puck goes outside the playing area;
2. For encroachment into the faceoff area;
3. For the puck being played with a high stick or hand pass;
4. For the goal cage becoming dislodged;
5. For premature substitution of a goalkeeper (see Rule 75);
6. For an injured player(s) (see Rule 8) or official;
7. For too many players on the ice;
8. When a stick, puck or any foreign object is thrown on the ice;
9. To report a goal not observed by the referee;
10. To report an ineligible player playing the puck; or
11. When a player or goalkeeper’s helmet becomes dislodged.
At the first stoppage of play, the linesman must report to the referee any
incident or conduct calling for a penalty.

The referees are not required to call a penalty, but may do so based on what they are told by the linemen according to rule 33.1:

33.1 Disputes -
...In case of any dispute, the referee may change the decision or that of any other official, provided the change is made before play is renewed. The referee’s decision is final; there is no appeal...

Sean

Rogie21
12-06-2015, 10:03 AM
I missed the game as my daughter had two of her own, but I don't mind if refs confer to get a call right. When they get it wrong however...

Yes, but I'm not so sure that LaCouvee would have given up the first or second goals. That said, he gave up too many goals today, but it would appear the team played better overall so it didn't cost them.

Watching the highlights, you can see that Shaw came quite a few strides and then went in very high on Somerby. Sneddon said the refs told him Brady "ran him from the red line." Maybe not from that far, but it sure looked like textbook charging. Because he clearly intended to go high on the 6-5 Somerby, the major was justified. As you say, getting it right is what counts.

Disagree about LaCouvee last night. While he certainly would like to have the first goal back, the second and third were the direct result of horrendous turnovers by MacLeod (who was also beaten on the first goal) and by MacAvoy. You can watch the last one on the video highlights (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRi8lJbA5TA) and see LaCouvee had no chance. The number of d-zone turnovers in the two games was, to me, the most distressing aspect of the series.

Sean Pickett
12-06-2015, 10:14 AM
Watching the highlights, you can see that Shaw came quite a few strides and then went in very high on Somerby. Sneddon said the refs told him Brady "ran him from the red line." Maybe not from that far, but it sure looked like textbook charging. Because he clearly intended to go high on the 6-5 Somerby, the major was justified. As you say, getting it right is what counts.

Disagree about LaCouvee last night. While he certainly would like to have the first goal back, the second and third were the direct result of horrendous turnovers by MacLeod (who was also beaten on the first goal) and by MacAvoy. You can watch the last one on the video highlights (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRi8lJbA5TA) and see LaCouvee had no chance. The number of d-zone turnovers in the two games was, to me, the most distressing aspect of the series.Thanks for the recap of the major.

As for LaCouvee, I was referring to goals Maguire gave up on Friday, not Saturday's game.

I also agree about the d-zone turnovers, which have been occurring for far longer than this past weekend. As Coach Quinn was a d-man you would think that it would not be an issue, but it is. The opposing teams are doing a great job of intercepting far too many attempts to get the puck out of the d-zone. Just another reason why I have been told Coach Quinn needs to be fired (seriously).

Sean

Bomber
12-06-2015, 11:22 AM
Just another reason why I have been told Coach Quinn needs to be fired (seriously).

Sean

Seriously?

mookie1995
12-06-2015, 11:26 AM
Seriously?

Hoky has pretty much nailed him to the cross already for the numerous holes in his coaching :p

Seems unless jack can recruit another Eichel for DQ we are just spinning our wheels :D

Scarlet
12-06-2015, 11:58 AM
The defense has a big test this weekend, especially if Grizz isn't back as Hickey will be at the WJC camp for Canada.

BU Fan 84
12-07-2015, 09:12 AM
The defense has a big test this weekend, especially if Grizz isn't back as Hickey will be at the WJC camp for Canada.

We don't have any games during the WJCs, right? Because I think we'd be in some trouble if we did. If Hickey, McAvoy and JFK made their respective rosters and Grizz, Olsson and Roberto were unable to play, we'd only have 17 skaters.

Agganis
12-07-2015, 09:18 AM
We don't have any games during the WJCs, right? Because I think we'd be in some trouble if we did. If Hickey, McAvoy and JFK made their respective rosters and Grizz, Olsson and Roberto were unable to play, we'd only have 17 skaters.

Correct, which we should expect to be the new normal under Quinn's staff, a smart move given who they are recruiting. I am unsure if Hickey is leaving for his camp before or after this weekend's games though.

J.D.
12-07-2015, 09:26 AM
New normal? BU has always had kids in the WJC just like other programs. Certainly don't have a problem building your schedule like that, it's a shrewd move. Now I'm curious if any other programs do that or will do that. If everyone started doi g it, kinda takes away from the holiday tournaments.