X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University Terriers 2015-2016 Season Thread Part the 1st

[QUOTE=Hokydad;6214476]
    Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
    I know you don't know much about hockey, but Eichel had little to do with our D last year, and it was still markedly better than this year's.

Furthermore, why do you keep posting in BU threads? We know Providence won the national championship last year. We were there. That's great for them. It just seems odd that you're so into the team, considering your son wasn't good enough to play in a game. But whatever floats your boat.[/QUOTE

Eichel with puck on his stick and dominating game is best defense moron

I didn't know this was a private blog. If you don't like others on it, leave, it is a public forum, not a club

And you even edited that post....
    Originally posted by Hokydad
    Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
      hell you can throw in a FR F who was going to be relied on for big minutes not showing up on campus as well!
      Hey, at least one of our top D isn't missing a couple months in the first semester! Oh.

Also BU finishing 2nd or 3rd in HE, and making the NCAAs would be considered a successful season by me, given where this program was when Parker left (and that they wouldn't have been top 3 in the league without Eichel last year). Also seeing that the incoming classes appear to be much better than the last two non Quinn recruited classes they will be replacing and the program could easily continue to improve from that in the following years.

The only part about copying BC from last year I would be bothered by is losing in the first round of BP, HE, and NCAA tournament.

Comment

If you can point me in the direction of your D1.5 talent like Straight, Sit, Spiro, Smith let me know. Otherwise you are going to be ok compared to BC last year. I'm not even sure how they made the NCAAs now that I think about it - must have been a down year.
        Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
        The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

• Originally posted by Agganis View Post
          Also BU finishing 2nd or 3rd in HE, and making the NCAAs would be considered a successful season by me, given where this program was when Parker left .
          ???
          They finished 2nd or 3rd in Hockey East every one of Parkers last 4 seasons with the team.

While I kind of agree with you, I'd guess most people on here would not consider a 3rd place in Hockey East, maybe make it to the garden and on the NCAA bubble (maybe in/maybe out) to be a successful season.
          Last edited by ericredaxe; 10-28-2015, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
            I know you don't know much about hockey, but Eichel had little to do with our D last year, and it was still markedly better than this year's.

Furthermore, why do you keep posting in BU threads? We know Providence won the national championship last year. We were there. That's great for them. It just seems odd that you're so into the team, considering your son wasn't good enough to play in a game. But whatever floats your boat.
            Providence didn't kick Hokydad out of the locker room shower the way that BU did when he was bugging Eichel so he has a soft spot for them...
            Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
              Providence didn't kick Hokydad out of the locker room shower the way that BU did when he was bugging Warsofsky so he has a soft spot for them...
              Fixed your post.

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                BU is not a good team, period
                All Eichel last year
                Back to barely above where they were before he came
                I don't see PC collapsing because the supposed @team/Gillies" left. Gillies was amazing but Leaman has built a program and a team/culture
                BU coddled a player for one year. But hey, both teams got to raise banners!!
                I know I am late to the party here, but 2 years ago you said BC was not sustainable because of their reliance on one line, that one line, even one that dominant, could not carry a team. Yet BU's success was "All Eichel" (admittedly one of if not the most impactful player in college hockey in the past 20 years). Am I missing something (besides your ballwashing of Leaman?)
                BS UMass Lowell 2015
                PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
                  I know I am late to the party here, but 2 years ago you said BC was not sustainable because of their reliance on one line, that one line, even one that dominant, could not carry a team. Yet BU's success was "All Eichel" (admittedly one of if not the most impactful player in college hockey in the past 20 years). Am I missing something (besides your ballwashing of Leaman?)
                  Yes you are missing something. BC ran out of steam with that one line in the semis (and let's be honest they were lucky to get past your UML squad in Worcester to some degree) and didn't even get out of the QFs of HE after facing a solid defensive team in Notre Dame. BU also ran out of steam but got one round further in the NCAAs (they did have more depth than BC and no guys like Smith, Sit, Straight, Spiro, etc). Neither team won the big one. PC had a more even lineup and won with it.

I think for the most part those teams with that one crazy line are relying on a formula that does not work. See Oshie, Toews, Duncan at North Dakota. Some of the good BC teams went with Gionta, Farkas, Bellefeuille on one line for a part of the season once or two years then had good success later in the year after splitting them up - though they did fall short of the big one even after splitting them up but it wasn't because of the one big line.

Eventually that one line will get neutralized by a good checking line or have an off night and you're done. It's not a good formula in the tournament setting.

I think the differentiation between BU last year and BC two years ago was that BC was truly a one-line team and that one line was ridonkulous whereas you had a better team with BU but that one line with Eichel wasn't truly crazy on talent, it just had better production because Eichel himself was so off the charts he made those guys with him so much better.

Just my opinion.
                  The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

• Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                    ???
                    They finished 2nd or 3rd in Hockey East every one of Parkers last 4 seasons with the team.

While I kind of agree with you, I'd guess most people on here would not consider a 3rd place in Hockey East, maybe make it to the garden and on the NCAA bubble (maybe in/maybe out) to be a successful season.
                    On planet agganis, david quinn can do no wrong!

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                      ???

Valid point, but finishing 2nd or 3rd during that period, when Maine and UNH had dropped from what they once were but before ND joined and before Leaman and Bazin had built up PC and UML to what they now were is not comparable to finishing 2nd and 3rd now, to me at least.

And I wouldn't consider 3rd place, and a HE semifinal loss, and no NCAA tournament birth a success this year.

Comment

I haven't had too much time to be on here recently but two quick takes.

Beware reading too much into 4 games. Especially the first 4 games. It is obvious that this very young team is still trying to get comfortable with themselves and saying that BU is not going anywhere or lucky to make the NCAA is an overreach at this point IMO. I like the fact that they have outshot the opponent every game so far and usually by a wide margin. Union is better than we thought, UConn is no longer an AHA team and could be an average HEA team this year, and well BU outshot Wisconsin 44-18. The team needs to find a way to cash in on all these shots but let's give them a little more time.

I won't cry because BC lost a very talented freshman forward to the OHL, but it sucks to see this happen again in college hockey. Certainly no respect for the kid for bailing on his team after 5 games and they whole way he went about it. Message to take away from this? Don't be surprised if all of these projected first rounders BU has lined up don't show to BU.

Losing Letunov to UConn still stings badly. That kid can play.

Comment

Originally posted by Tater View Post
                          Losing Letunov to UConn still stings badly. That kid can play.
                          admissions@bu.edu
                          ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                            Yes you are missing something. BC ran out of steam with that one line in the semis (and let's be honest they were lucky to get past your UML squad in Worcester to some degree) and didn't even get out of the QFs of HE after facing a solid defensive team in Notre Dame. BU also ran out of steam but got one round further in the NCAAs (they did have more depth than BC and no guys like Smith, Sit, Straight, Spiro, etc). Neither team won the big one. PC had a more even lineup and won with it.

I think for the most part those teams with that one crazy line are relying on a formula that does not work. See Oshie, Toews, Duncan at North Dakota. Some of the good BC teams went with Gionta, Farkas, Bellefeuille on one line for a part of the season once or two years then had good success later in the year after splitting them up - though they did fall short of the big one even after splitting them up but it wasn't because of the one big line.

Eventually that one line will get neutralized by a good checking line or have an off night and you're done. It's not a good formula in the tournament setting.

I think the differentiation between BU last year and BC two years ago was that BC was truly a one-line team and that one line was ridonkulous whereas you had a better team with BU but that one line with Eichel wasn't truly crazy on talent, it just had better production because Eichel himself was so off the charts he made those guys with him so much better.

Just my opinion.
                            Agree with this for the most part. Having more scoring depth rather than one AAA line is more likely to yield success. BU’s 2009 title team had two very strong scoring lines, plus a third line that combined for 60 points and a fourth line with guys who totaled 21 goals.

I’ll grudgingly concede that the Gaudreau line (13-14) has a bit more overall talent than Eichel’s line (2nd half with ERod and O’Regan). But I don’t buy that BU rans out of steam down the stretch. Their GF and GA averages actually improved slightly during the eight playoff games and facing great goalies in the NCAAs. From the Beanpot title game thru the NCAA final, they were 9-2, with both losses by a goal. I think most BU fans would agree that in the final, failing to match PC’s intensity early in the third period and O’Connor’s whoops are key reasons BU didn’t close the deal.
                            The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
                              Agree with this for the most part. Having more scoring depth rather than one AAA line is more likely to yield success. BU’s 2009 title team had two very strong scoring lines, plus a third line that combined for 60 points and a fourth line with guys who totaled 21 goals.

I’ll grudgingly concede that the Gaudreau line (13-14) has a bit more overall talent than Eichel’s line (2nd half with ERod and O’Regan). But I don’t buy that BU rans out of steam down the stretch. Their GF and GA averages actually improved slightly during the eight playoff games and facing great goalies in the NCAAs. From the Beanpot title game thru the NCAA final, they were 9-2, with both losses by a goal. I think most BU fans would agree that in the final, failing to match PC’s intensity early in the third period and O’Connor’s whoops are key reasons BU didn’t close the deal.
                              I know this is a closed, private forum but still going to chime in

Have you watched the tape of the goals BU scored? We talk about BU goalies bad goal. Gillies played outstanding but look at the first two goals and tell me if they were goals he would normally let in
                              The one from the side walk is one he would stop 99% of the time. Hard to fathom it went in
                              PC better on ice and clearly better coached. Prepared for the moments and did their jobs. BU was not and walked into that in zone face off, after a time out like they were in a coma
                              One team grabbed it and regardless of score played hard and followed plan, one team did not

Go watch highlights and watch two of those goals

Could have been 3 or 4-1 PC

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
                                Well, whether the wording is right on or you don't agree with it ("ran out of steam"), I think the general point is that in the one-and-done format, even for a short tournament like NCAA hockey, the 'one-line teams' (not that BU was a clear-cut one-line team) are very susceptible and not that successful. Which I think we probably agree on.

Comment

Working...
                                X