X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University Terriers 2015-2016 Season Thread Part the 1st

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
    Listed at 5,225. Don't be fooled, the lower bowl there only holds 5,500 or so and there weren't more than a handful in the uppers. There weren't much more than 4,000 in attendance tonight. UConn's been fudging their attendance numbers like crazy since joining HE.
    It was a rough estimate based on assuming about 300 seats per section multiplying by about 20 sections. You obviously know the arena much better than I (the last time I was there was for an America East basketball game which had to be 15 years ago, if not more). My point was simply that, being a big state school, it's only the tip of the iceberg. 4,000 on a Tuesday night is as good as we have done at BU (in general - Sean, you don't have to go back to try to prove me wrong - I'm sure "occasionally" we may have had more but certainly not as a rule). So it's only going to get better. I was very impressed with the support.

Comment

• Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
      Mass Pike to 84 to the 684 to the saw mill pwky to the HH pwky . Thats how to get to NYC to avoid traffic and get to Nardelli's to mangia. What's a mattah fa you?
      Mookie was saying that one can only find nardelli's south and west of Hartford
      So if Mookie for some reason is drivin from mass to Hartford Mookie is SOL
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Ugh... fluke losses to bad teams suck.

If it makes you feel any better, we lost to Uconn last year. It happens with young teams (and teams that don't recruit for two years)
        Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
        The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
          If it makes you feel any better, we lost to Uconn last year. It happens with young teams (and teams that don't recruit for two years)
          Funny you say that...the big "highlight" on the jumbotron before the introductions last night was the last ten seconds of UConn's win over BC with the announcer screaming "And the Huskies get their first ever Hockey East win!!!!!!" When you're a young program, you don't have a lot of highlights to show...

Comment

The announcer also referred to BU as BC - was it announcing shots on goal or maybe a penalty?

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
              The announcer also referred to BU as BC - was it announcing shots on goal or maybe a penalty?
              Yes! It was during the announcement of the double minor...absolutely unbelievable!!! I was actually in the concourse attempting to find the popcorn (there is only ONE stand in the entire building that sold popcorn) and heard it as plain as day. I'm thinking, "OK...it's one thing if we're playing like Fresno State or something, but UConn???? Jeez..."

Comment

And by the way, was that goal horn LOUD or what? Hysterical to see the old Whalers division championship and retired numbers banners still hanging from the rafters (along with the "Hockey's First Family" Howe banners)

Comment

While I'm on a roll, did anyone notice that the "posts" counter seems to have stopped incrementing? I just added four posts and am at the same number I was when I started...

Comment

And, of course, the second I pressed "Save" and it appeared, it seems to be working again...

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                      Ugh... fluke losses to bad teams suck.

I don't think it was a fluke loss. BU has not been good this year. Especially in our own zone. We weren't great in there last year, but still were significantly better than this. With so many returning players, I don't understand why our D is so bad.

Comment

• Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
                        I don't think it was a fluke loss. BU has not been good this year. Especially in our own zone. We weren't great in there last year, but still were significantly better than this. With so many returning players, I don't understand why our D is so bad.

BU is not a good team, period
                        All Eichel last year
                        Back to barely above where they were before he came
                        I don't see PC collapsing because the supposed @team/Gillies" left. Gillies was amazing but Leaman has built a program and a team/culture
                        BU coddled a player for one year. But hey, both teams got to raise banners!!

Comment

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
                          I don't think it was a fluke loss. BU has not been good this year. Especially in our own zone. We weren't great in there last year, but still were significantly better than this.
                          Agreed. I got distracted and forgot to respond to that comment. That was my whole point when I was describing the potential of the UConn program. If anyone considers this a "fluke," they had better be prepared for many more "flukes" down the road. As I mentioned previously, BU had several horrendous giveaways in their own end. And hence the mention of them playing a "25 minute" game. Last year their talent bailed them out. That won't be the case this year. But, it's understandable that when one looks at the schedule, they may still "underestimate" UConn because they have only been in the league for a year. So it's still too early to say if BU was overconfident (even though they shouldn't have been after entering the 3rd period tied 1-1 just three days before) or not, but this has been, in general, an issue that has plagued the Terriers. Even when they had top level talent they have had trouble really putting teams away. They need to start realizing that the name of the front of the sweater doesn't mean they can just show up and win.

With so many returning players, I don't understand why our D is so bad.
                          Specifically in regard to the D, you could say that Grzzzz being out disrupted the unit. That's legitimate. Let's see what happens going forward. My personal opinion is that, although there are a lot of freshmen, they may not have yet assimilated to the point where they will be later in the season. It's too early to panic. But it's a tough league and you have to bring it every night. This may require a change in the BU mindset. We are used to getting "up" for three or four "big" opponents and then coasting through the weaker "half" of the league. If you watched the introductions last night and saw where some of these UConn players are from (specifically I can remember, off the top of my head, Moscow, Texas, British Columbia, Finland), you realize that the talent pool is so much deeper than in the past. BU and BC aren't the only schools getting this talent anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                            BU is not a good team, period
                            All Eichel last year
                            Back to barely above where they were before he came
                            I don't see PC collapsing because the supposed @team/Gillies" left. Gillies was amazing but Leaman has built a program and a team/culture
                            BU coddled a player for one year. But hey, both teams got to raise banners!!
                            I know you don't know much about hockey, but Eichel had little to do with our D last year, and it was still markedly better than this year's.

Furthermore, why do you keep posting in BU threads? We know Providence won the national championship last year. We were there. That's great for them. It just seems odd that you're so into the team, considering your son wasn't good enough to play in a game. But whatever floats your boat.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                              Agreed. I got distracted and forgot to respond to that comment. That was my whole point when I was describing the potential of the UConn program. If anyone considers this a "fluke," they had better be prepared for many more "flukes" down the road. As I mentioned previously, BU had several horrendous giveaways in their own end. And hence the mention of them playing a "25 minute" game. Last year their talent bailed them out. That won't be the case this year. But, it's understandable that when one looks at the schedule, they may still "underestimate" UConn because they have only been in the league for a year. So it's still too early to say if BU was overconfident (even though they shouldn't have been after entering the 3rd period tied 1-1 just three days before) or not, but this has been, in general, an issue that has plagued the Terriers. Even when they had top level talent they have had trouble really putting teams away. They need to start realizing that the name of the front of the sweater doesn't mean they can just show up and win.

Specifically in regard to the D, you could say that Grzzzz being out disrupted the unit. That's legitimate. Let's see what happens going forward. My personal opinion is that, although there are a lot of freshmen, they may not have yet assimilated to the point where they will be later in the season. It's too early to panic. But it's a tough league and you have to bring it every night. This may require a change in the BU mindset. We are used to getting "up" for three or four "big" opponents and then coasting through the weaker "half" of the league. If you watched the introductions last night and saw where some of these UConn players are from (specifically I can remember, off the top of my head, Moscow, Texas, British Columbia, Finland), you realize that the talent pool is so much deeper than in the past. BU and BC aren't the only schools getting this talent anymore.
                              I don't think it's an issue of not getting up or taking them seriously. It isn't a lack of skill or talent, either. I think the team is just not good in the defensive zone. Sure, having the captain out may contribute a little bit to the issue but there are five other guys that played all of last season and did a better job than they are now. After the loss to Union, Quinn said it was bad d-zone coverage but luckily it is something that is easily correctable. Here we are a couple weeks later and it has gotten worse.

I remember one year, maybe five years ago, Parker said he introduced a new d-zone system and it would take the team awhile to get used to it. I haven't read Quinn's comments after last night yet, but I am interested to hear what he has to say about it.

Comment

I agree it wasn't a fluke, they're having trouble finding their identity. This isn't the scoring juggernaut that last year's team was. Lines need to be shifted, there are guys together who don't mesh, particularly at the top. Danny and Ahti need a distributor on their line, and don't have one now. It'd be interesting to see JFK on that line, but that would be bunching two C's on the same line. Of course not having Grzelcyk hurts the overall D performance markedly, but McAvoy has shown to be prone to mishaps in his own zone, Switzer looked totally lost at times last night, and even Hickey has been making some poor decisions. Ironically, the most productive line, within the context of what they're expected to do, has been the fourth line. They've played excellent all season.
                                ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Working...
                                X