PDA

View Full Version : Boston University Terriers 2015-2016 Season Thread Part the 1st

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

Tater
10-29-2015, 09:51 AM
I haven't had too much time to be on here recently but two quick takes.

Beware reading too much into 4 games. Especially the first 4 games. It is obvious that this very young team is still trying to get comfortable with themselves and saying that BU is not going anywhere or lucky to make the NCAA is an overreach at this point IMO. I like the fact that they have outshot the opponent every game so far and usually by a wide margin. Union is better than we thought, UConn is no longer an AHA team and could be an average HEA team this year, and well BU outshot Wisconsin 44-18. The team needs to find a way to cash in on all these shots but let's give them a little more time.

I won't cry because BC lost a very talented freshman forward to the OHL, but it sucks to see this happen again in college hockey. Certainly no respect for the kid for bailing on his team after 5 games and they whole way he went about it. Message to take away from this? Don't be surprised if all of these projected first rounders BU has lined up don't show to BU.

Losing Letunov to UConn still stings badly. That kid can play.

brassbonanza
10-29-2015, 10:23 AM
Losing Letunov to UConn still stings badly. That kid can play.
admissions@bu.edu

Rogie21
10-29-2015, 10:27 AM
Yes you are missing something. BC ran out of steam with that one line in the semis (and let's be honest they were lucky to get past your UML squad in Worcester to some degree) and didn't even get out of the QFs of HE after facing a solid defensive team in Notre Dame. BU also ran out of steam but got one round further in the NCAAs (they did have more depth than BC and no guys like Smith, Sit, Straight, Spiro, etc). Neither team won the big one. PC had a more even lineup and won with it.

I think for the most part those teams with that one crazy line are relying on a formula that does not work. See Oshie, Toews, Duncan at North Dakota. Some of the good BC teams went with Gionta, Farkas, Bellefeuille on one line for a part of the season once or two years then had good success later in the year after splitting them up - though they did fall short of the big one even after splitting them up but it wasn't because of the one big line.

Eventually that one line will get neutralized by a good checking line or have an off night and you're done. It's not a good formula in the tournament setting.

I think the differentiation between BU last year and BC two years ago was that BC was truly a one-line team and that one line was ridonkulous whereas you had a better team with BU but that one line with Eichel wasn't truly crazy on talent, it just had better production because Eichel himself was so off the charts he made those guys with him so much better.

Just my opinion.

Agree with this for the most part. Having more scoring depth rather than one AAA line is more likely to yield success. BUís 2009 title team had two very strong scoring lines, plus a third line that combined for 60 points and a fourth line with guys who totaled 21 goals.

Iíll grudgingly concede that the Gaudreau line (13-14) has a bit more overall talent than Eichelís line (2nd half with ERod and OíRegan). But I donít buy that BU rans out of steam down the stretch. Their GF and GA averages actually improved slightly during the eight playoff games and facing great goalies in the NCAAs. From the Beanpot title game thru the NCAA final, they were 9-2, with both losses by a goal. I think most BU fans would agree that in the final, failing to match PCís intensity early in the third period and OíConnorís whoops are key reasons BU didnít close the deal.

Hokydad
10-29-2015, 10:33 AM
Agree with this for the most part. Having more scoring depth rather than one AAA line is more likely to yield success. BUís 2009 title team had two very strong scoring lines, plus a third line that combined for 60 points and a fourth line with guys who totaled 21 goals.

Iíll grudgingly concede that the Gaudreau line (13-14) has a bit more overall talent than Eichelís line (2nd half with ERod and OíRegan). But I donít buy that BU rans out of steam down the stretch. Their GF and GA averages actually improved slightly during the eight playoff games and facing great goalies in the NCAAs. From the Beanpot title game thru the NCAA final, they were 9-2, with both losses by a goal. I think most BU fans would agree that in the final, failing to match PCís intensity early in the third period and OíConnorís whoops are key reasons BU didnít close the deal.

I know this is a closed, private forum but still going to chime in

Have you watched the tape of the goals BU scored? We talk about BU goalies bad goal. Gillies played outstanding but look at the first two goals and tell me if they were goals he would normally let in
The one from the side walk is one he would stop 99% of the time. Hard to fathom it went in
PC better on ice and clearly better coached. Prepared for the moments and did their jobs. BU was not and walked into that in zone face off, after a time out like they were in a coma
One team grabbed it and regardless of score played hard and followed plan, one team did not

Go watch highlights and watch two of those goals

Could have been 3 or 4-1 PC

Nick Papagiorgio
10-29-2015, 11:29 AM
I’ll grudgingly concede that the Gaudreau line (13-14) has a bit more overall talent than Eichel’s line (2nd half with ERod and O’Regan). But I don’t buy that BU rans out of steam down the stretch. Their GF and GA averages actually improved slightly during the eight playoff games and facing great goalies in the NCAAs. From the Beanpot title game thru the NCAA final, they were 9-2, with both losses by a goal. I think most BU fans would agree that in the final, failing to match PC’s intensity early in the third period and O’Connor’s whoops are key reasons BU didn’t close the deal.

Well, whether the wording is right on or you don't agree with it ("ran out of steam"), I think the general point is that in the one-and-done format, even for a short tournament like NCAA hockey, the 'one-line teams' (not that BU was a clear-cut one-line team) are very susceptible and not that successful. Which I think we probably agree on.

Nick Papagiorgio
10-29-2015, 11:30 AM

Have you watched the tape of the goals BU scored? We talk about BU goalies bad goal. Gillies played outstanding but look at the first two goals and tell me if they were goals he would normally let in
The one from the side walk is one he would stop 99% of the time. Hard to fathom it went in
PC better on ice and clearly better coached. Prepared for the moments and did their jobs. BU was not and walked into that in zone face off, after a time out like they were in a coma
One team grabbed it and regardless of score played hard and followed plan, one team did not

Not for nothing, but some of those goals against North Dakota were also awful.

Tater
10-29-2015, 11:36 AM
Not for nothing, but some of those goals against North Dakota were also awful.

As was at least one of North Dakota's! :eek:

brassbonanza
10-29-2015, 11:40 AM

Are we really comparing bad goals in the Providence game?

Nick Papagiorgio
10-29-2015, 11:41 AM

Looks like it. Sometimes you just have to go with it.

J.D.
10-29-2015, 12:15 PM
I got to sit next to omaha cheerleaders and see BU lose in excruciating fashion. A FF for the ages! ;)

BU Fan 84
10-29-2015, 01:27 PM
I got to sit next to omaha cheerleaders and see BU lose in excruciating fashion. A FF for the ages! ;)

You got to see a woman with your own eyes ... and you didn't even have to pay her?! Must have been the best night of your life.

Nick Papagiorgio
10-29-2015, 01:37 PM
You got to see a woman with your own eyes ... and you didn't even have to pay her?! Must have been the best night of your life.

He asked her out for pizza after the game but she said no. Like DBUF did to a certain BU Fan on this board.

J.D.
10-29-2015, 01:38 PM

You here all week???

Aerman
10-29-2015, 02:16 PM
admissions@bu.edu

Ditto Masonious
Admissions@unh.edu. 😒

brassbonanza
10-29-2015, 02:21 PM
Ditto Masonious
Admissions@unh.edu. 😒

Did UNH actually reject him as well?

Aerman
10-29-2015, 02:23 PM

Yep

claver2010
10-29-2015, 02:28 PM

smh, just like they rejected Johnny

Sean Pickett
10-29-2015, 02:53 PM
I haven't had too much time to be on here recently but two quick takes.

Beware reading too much into 4 games. Especially the first 4 games.Last season after 4 games BU had scored 16 goals/4 per game. This season BU has scored 13 goals/3.25 per game, not that bad.
Last season after 4 games BU had given up 4 goals/1 per game. This season BU has given up 13 goals/3.25 game, not that good.
Last season after 4 games PC had scored 9 goals/2.25 per game.
Last season after 4 games PC had given up 17 goals/4.25 goals per game.
Last season PC started 1-3-1 and ended up the NCAA champions.

Sean

Hokydad
10-29-2015, 02:55 PM

Sad but true
Point was watch those first two goals. Goalie was by far team MVP but to mention bu fluke goal hundreds of times and not the PC borderline fluke one
Watch the first goal

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N58_speevDo

DLG
10-29-2015, 03:22 PM
think enough about last season
You can't win without first line scoring and that has been a problem this year
I would move JFK to first line center and move O'Reagan to wing with Ahti
Can juggle next two lines but I did like Olsson and Lane together.