This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tater View Post
    Even if they pull it from the jumbotron the quality should be much better. I could take a video of the jumbotron from my phone and it would look better than what is on terrierTV.
    Not like the ****ty product they push is free either
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• 4 PM Game Time Attendance

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
      4200 for the afternoon start wasn't bad, but last week's home opener vs. Wisconsin had a bigger crowd.
      I took a look at last season's home game start times and there were only three 4 pm starts: the exhibition vs. St. Thomas (3,542), the Saturday after Thanksgiving vs. Colgate (4,585) and the second Hockey East quarterfinal game vs Merrimack (3,069; on TV). Other than the attendance figures for the 4 pm games, I have looked at comparing games from last season to this season. However, last season BU played Michigan on Saturday this weekend and that is likely not a fair comparison to the Connecticut game this past Saturday. However, BU did host Connecticut on Saturday, 8 November last season and will playing Michigan at 4 pm on 22 November this season.

So for the first 4 pm vs. 7 pm comparison using Connecticut:
      11/8/14 7pm 4,658
      10/24/25 4pm 4,199

That's a 10% drop in attendance season-to-season. But, before everyone points to this as proof the 4 pm games don't work you also need to look at the season-to-season attendance totals. After 4 games (2 exhibition, 2 regular, both last season and this season) attendance has taken a 14% drop (17,948 in 14-15 vs. 15,472 in 15-16). If you only want to include regular season games then after 2 games attendance has taken a 7% drop (10,485 in 14-15 vs. 9,714 in 15-16). Game-by-game you can only compare the Canadian exhibitions directly as they were both 4pm starts on the first Saturday of October: St. Thomas (last season) 3,542 vs. Acadia (this season) 2,974. The U18 exhibition game was on the third weekend of October both seasons, but last season was a Saturday 7pm game (3,921) and this season was a Friday 7:30pm game (2,784) with the season opener the next night. Last season's first 2 games were Michigan State (4,639) and Michigan (5,846) and this season's were Wisconsin (5,515) and Connecticut (4,199).

It will be interesting to see how Saturday's game vs. Denver compares to last season's game vs. Providence.

Sean
      Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
      Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
      BU Hockey highlights and extras
      NCAA Hockey Financials
      Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
      I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

• Re: 4 PM Game Time Attendance

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
        I took a look at last season's home game start times and there were only three 4 pm starts: the exhibition vs. St. Thomas (3,542), the Saturday after Thanksgiving vs. Colgate (4,585) and the second Hockey East quarterfinal game vs Merrimack (3,069; on TV). Other than the attendance figures for the 4 pm games, I have looked at comparing games from last season to this season. However, last season BU played Michigan on Saturday this weekend and that is likely not a fair comparison to the Connecticut game this past Saturday. However, BU did host Connecticut on Saturday, 8 November last season and will playing Michigan at 4 pm on 22 November this season.

So for the first 4 pm vs. 7 pm comparison using Connecticut:
        11/8/14 7pm 4,658
        10/24/25 4pm 4,199

That's a 10% drop in attendance season-to-season. But, before everyone points to this as proof the 4 pm games don't work you also need to look at the season-to-season attendance totals. After 4 games (2 exhibition, 2 regular, both last season and this season) attendance has taken a 14% drop (17,948 in 14-15 vs. 15,472 in 15-16). If you only want to include regular season games then after 2 games attendance has taken a 7% drop (10,485 in 14-15 vs. 9,714 in 15-16). Game-by-game you can only compare the Canadian exhibitions directly as they were both 4pm starts on the first Saturday of October: St. Thomas (last season) 3,542 vs. Acadia (this season) 2,974. The U18 exhibition game was on the third weekend of October both seasons, but last season was a Saturday 7pm game (3,921) and this season was a Friday 7:30pm game (2,784) with the season opener the next night. Last season's first 2 games were Michigan State (4,639) and Michigan (5,846) and this season's were Wisconsin (5,515) and Connecticut (4,199).

It will be interesting to see how Saturday's game vs. Denver compares to last season's game vs. Providence.

Sean
        I would imagine that having Eichel on the team last year helped with last seasons attendance, so there is likely some hangover from that as well.

With this weekends game being on Halloween night, I would imagine it will be relatively poorly attended as nobody with children who are of trick or treat age will be attending.

They should have held this weekends game on Sunday.

My instinct on the 4PM vs 7PM debate is that for everyone who does not like 4PM there is someone who prefers it.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post

My instinct on the 4PM vs 7PM debate is that for everyone who does not like 4PM there is someone who prefers it.
          I can't find one season ticket holder in person at the games or before/after that prefers 4pm over 7pm. There are only 2 people that I know of that prefer the 4pm starts, you and buoldtimer. So in my very informal, unscientific poll it is at least 8-1 preferring 7pm. Now, I know similar people tend to flock together so I am sure the split is much closer, but that is just from my personal experience. Certainly that notion of 85% supporting it or whatever that garbage that the AD was trying to serve us isn't true.

There were certainly more kids than normal Saturday afternoon as far as I could tell. That and the earlier start time can't be good for beverage sales.

Though in defense of a 4pm start on Halloween, wouldn't that time be MORE Family-friendly? A family could still go to the game and then go trick-or-treating afterwards, right? What time do kids trick-or-treat nowadays?

Oh, and ericredaxe, if there is anything worse than a Saturday 4pm start, it is a Sunday 4pm (or anytime) start.
          Last edited by Tater; 10-26-2015, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tater View Post
            I can't find one season ticket holder in person at the games or before/after that prefers 4pm over 7pm. There are only 2 people that I know of that prefer the 4pm starts, you and buoldtimer. So in my very informal, unscientific poll it is at least 8-1 preferring 7pm. Now, I know similar people tend to flock together so I am sure the split is much closer, but that is just from my personal experience. Certainly that notion of 85% supporting it or whatever that garbage that the AD was trying to serve us isn't true.

There were certainly more kids than normal Saturday afternoon as far as I could tell. That and the earlier start time can't be good for beverage sales.

Though in defense of a 4pm start on Halloween, wouldn't that time be MORE Family-friendly? A family could still go to the game and then go trick-or-treating afterwards, right? What time do kids trick-or-treat nowadays?

Oh, and ericredaxe, if there is anything worse than a Saturday 4pm start, it is a Sunday 4pm (or anytime) start.
            I think you are correct that similar people tend to flock together. In the group of season ticket holders that I know well / sit with I'd say that it is 7-1 in favor of mixing in some 4PM games.

Trick or Treat in my town is from 5-7 PM (yes local police departments generally announce the time now) so weather the game is at 4 or 7 if someones kids want to trick or treat you are not going to the game. My group should have 16 tickets going unused if anyone is looking for extras.

Comment

Haven't read the entire thread, so not sure if it was mentioned, but coaches like 4pm so they can go recruit after the games. A lot of junior games are at 7 or later, so it free's them up to go to a game or get a head start on a recruiting trip. From a coaches perspective, it's ideal.

Comment

In this case, the Sunday game works better. Absolutely no one will be there because of Halloween. The only better option would've been a 1 pm game, but with both teams playing the night before the turnaround time is too short. Denver having traveled so far, a Sunday game is probably not to their liking, but I would've bet the attendance would be comparable or better Sunday at 4 as opposed to Halloween at 4 or 7.

That said, include my group of STHs, about 10 in total, who all prefer the 7pm games. Wasn't a deterrent for us getting tickets, but the preference for us is clear. My beef has been with the way BU handled it, not necessarily the start time itself. That they first did not tell STHs prior to renewing that start times would be changed for non-TV purposes (as this is to be expected among STHs) then sprung that after payments were made is borderline dishonest. Then they go and claim there was "overwhelming feedback" from fans when, at least in my group, not a single one of us was solicited for said feedback on start times. From what I understand, there was no actual "overwhelming feedback", that it was a cover story for them simply wanting to try it out and get more kids and families into the games. What it comes off as though is the STHs being taken advantage of.
                ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Certainly that notion of 85% supporting it or whatever that garbage that the AD was trying to serve us isn't true.
                  It was 85% of the people that responded to the survey last year. Not 85% of season ticket holders. You don't respond, this is what happens. Majority of people who responded said 4pm is good, apparently.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                    It was 85% of the people that responded to the survey last year. Not 85% of season ticket holders. You don't respond, this is what happens. Majority of people who responded said 4pm is good, apparently.
                    And 85% also felt FOH should just collect the money and that's it? The program that was set up as before appears gutted and now there is a $2500 level only for coaches corner.
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                      Not sure what survey that is, but none came to my inbox that I'm seeing. When did it go out?
                      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                        Not sure what survey that is, but none came to my inbox that I'm seeing. When did it go out?
                        Same here. Don't recall being asked about 4PM start times, and isn't it a little convenient they announced this AFTER season ticket renewals were due?

This is a dumb idea that appeals to like 2 people, both of whom are probably in bed by 7:30 most nights. It amazes that BU as a whole has spent years living down Silber's top down, my way or the highway philosophy which led to paltry alumni giving, but now the same attitude seems to be prevailing in the athletic department.
                        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

• Re: Boston University Terriers 2015-2016 Season Thread Part the 1st

Originally posted by ZRhett1 View Post
                          I've been wondering this for the past two years... The Terrier TV Webcast is pulled directly from the Jumbotron, which really bugs me because the quality is terrible. I'm curious why they can't just stream directly from whatever is filming those HD goal videos like you mentioned?
                          Did some checking and learned that TerrierTV game Webcasts utilize the Arena’s four standard-definition cameras. The individual goal videos posted are from the team’s own video system, which has a single HD camera that is set higher up in the arena than the four SD units. The game highlights video, in this case, is largely from the Agganis cameras, with the exception of Hickey’s knock-hockey goal.

A nice addition to the BU athletics Web site is posting links to each player’s goals scored on their bio page, e.g. Fortunato.
                          The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Trick or Treat in my town is from 5-7 PM (yes local police departments generally announce the time now) so weather the game is at 4 or 7 if someones kids want to trick or treat you are not going to the game. My group should have 16 tickets going unused if anyone is looking for extras.
                            Wow, that sucks. Probably our most marquee OOC home game this year.

I swear I trick or treated after dark when I was a kid. Times have changed. (though I think that when we roll the clocks back for EST is later in the calendar now?)

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                            I have received (and taken) a couple of surveys the past several years. I don't recall one asking about 4pm start times.

Comment

My beef has been with the way BU handled it, not necessarily the start time itself.
                              I agree that BU should have communicated that they were moving more games to 4pm (even without specifics of which games) as soon as whoever in the university decided to change their scheduling philosophy.

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                              Same here. Don't recall being asked about 4PM start times
                              I recall a survey sent via email late spring or early summer. I don't specifically remember whether or not it reference game time changes or what was asked about it, but I remember a survey.

And in case anyone cares I sit in a group of over a dozen 23-26 year olds who overwhelmingly support the 4pm start time as we have 3 more hours of drinking time post game on these handful of Saturdays, which is more valuable to us than the late afternoon time gained by a 7pm start.

Comment

In this case, the Sunday game works better. Absolutely no one will be there because of Halloween. The only better option would've been a 1 pm game, but with both teams playing the night before the turnaround time is too short. Denver having traveled so far, a Sunday game is probably not to their liking, but I would've bet the attendance would be comparable or better Sunday at 4 as opposed to Halloween at 4 or 7.
                                A 1pm Sunday game could have worked for both teams. It may have mitigated potential attendance concerns for a 4pm start on Halloween, would not have conflicted with a Patriots game, and would've enabled Denver to still fly home on Sunday evening and for their student-athletes to be in class on Monday.

That said, include my group of STHs, about 10 in total, who all prefer the 7pm games. Wasn't a deterrent for us getting tickets, but the preference for us is clear.
                                Ditto w/ most STHs I know. Most of the issues I know people have with 4pm are first-world problems.

For me, the 4pm start this past Saturday was a bit of a nuisance given what I had to do that day. I even considered skipping the game just so I wouldn't have to rush around earlier in the day.

For this Saturday I had booked my return flight to Boston months ago assuming the game would be 7pm. Even if my flight arrives on time, I may have just enough time to run home and drop my luggage off before heading to Agganis.

Comment

Working...
                                X