This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northeastern 2015-16: Hobey Roy Kenobi and the Freshman Force

One day away from the start of the 2015-16 season and no season thread. So you're all stuck with this one.
    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Re: Northeastern 2015-16: Hobey Roy Kenobi and the Freshman Force

Good ranked opponent tomorrow. Hopefully we can get some payback for last year.
    Go Huskies
    GO NU HOCKEY
    Always bullish on the future.
    We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Pretty in-depth feature Ryan Fallon and myself wrote about Kevin Roy in advance of tomorrow's season opener. Hope you guys enjoy it!

Northeastern Captain Kevin Roy Back for Degree, Primed for Memorable Season: http://www.wrbbsports.com/2015/10/09...orable-season/

Comment

Originally posted by josh_brown View Post
        Pretty in-depth feature Ryan Fallon and myself wrote about Kevin Roy in advance of tomorrow's season opener. Hope you guys enjoy it!

Northeastern Captain Kevin Roy Back for Degree, Primed for Memorable Season: http://www.wrbbsports.com/2015/10/09...orable-season/
        Nicely written article. You folks are turning the WRBB site into a valuable source of information for our fans. I hope you are able to use it to whip up spirit as well as attendance.

Comment

I have to agree. Comprehensive yet very readable with a good flow that keeps your attention. Couldn't help but notice this sentence: ""He’s a two-time Hobey Baker Award Candidate and a frontrunner for the 2016 edition."

Unless I missed something, those are the first words I've seen from any source that promote KRoy's Hobey Baker candidacy. Never too early to promote the cause on both the local and national stages. Hopefully, we're not ceding the thing to Jimmy Vesey.

Comment

Game day and the season opener to boot...and no buzz?

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
              Game day and the season opener to boot...and no buzz?
              Here's a bold prediction: We will open the season better than we did last year against Vermont. We should learn a lot tonight. My only takeaways from the exhibition game were that Cotton and Williams are ready to play D1 hockey. Couldn't tell if the other freshmen are ready, since the competition was so weak. I thought Schule also looked good, but will likely sit out in favor of the two Thayer kids. That would be a nod solely to reputation - I thought Schule looked more ready for D1 than they did. Would love to score a few early to give D. Roy a cushion. I like the Huskies tonight. Lots of firepower.

Comment

I'm pretty confident we'll be one of the highest scoring teams in HE. I think we have the best offensive player (and it isn't that close), 3 lines who can produce, and there is a lot of incoming talent between Cotton, Griffin, Gaudette and Kurker. I have no idea what to expect in net and on the blue line. I see DRoy as a goalie who won't steal us many games but won't lose many games on his own either (cough...Rawlings...cough) Can Matt Benning become a legit 1st pairing HE d-man? Hopefully. Did Saucerman get smarter this summer? Probably not. Can Williams or Barry have a Newton or Bitetto-like impact as a freshman. I have no idea. Good test to start the year in Colgate, I think we come out fired up though...Huskies win 5-3.

A side note, is Darou playing tonight? He didn't play in the exhibition and I wasn't sure why.
                2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
                2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

Really enjoyed Kendall Coyne doing color commentary on your stream tonight.
                  BS UMass Lowell 2015
                  PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

Posted this on the other thread.. forgot about this one..

PK looks so much better.. hopefully that will continue. Bit undisciplined at times tonight but glad we got it done. Stevens goal though tad selfish, was pretty slick. Finn was very good for Colgate. Will wait for a few more gms before i pass any judgement on our goaltending. Overall, nice going NU.
                    GO NU HOCKEY
                    We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

1st trip to the barn since February, and I really enjoyed it, even though it was a nail bitter. The good news is that NU skated circles around a ranked opponent, the bad news is I am not sure the opponent really deserved to be ranked. That said, the freshman who played looked good, nothing like what you might expect from anyone playing in their 1st NCAA Div. 1 game. We made some undisciplined plays but really out skated Colgate for the almost the entire 60 minute affair. The D was surprisingly solid, and the O put up like 48 shots. That said, this is what brigs me to my major concern, 2 goals on 48 shoots isn’t enough and while younger Witt made 2 or 3 great saves, especially one on a break with like 2 or 3 minutes left to preserve the win, the fact is that he only faced 15 shots and went mostly untested. The G will be the key for this season. However, overall nice job Huskies. Go play the same home and home vs. Bentley next week and you can start 3 and 0. Happy to get the W.
                      Last edited by RossiRules; 10-10-2015, 11:00 PM.

Comment

What a difference a year makes. In last year’s home opener the Huskies looked like they weren’t very ready to start the season in their 6-2 loss to Vermont (and down at one time 5-0). It was a red flag on what turned out to be horrible 0-8-1 start to the season. This year they outshot, outplayed and outscored a top 20 team in Colgate.

Except in goal where Colgate’s Charlie Finn was outstanding in stopping 41 shots, the Huskies looked to be the better team. One of the areas that seems much improved is their ability to clear the puck out the defensive zone and set up the offense that put an impressive 42 shots on goal. The PK looked good too. It’s only one early season win but it’s a good beginning.
                        Last edited by scorer; 10-10-2015, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
                          Posted this on the other thread.. forgot about this one..

PK looks so much better.. hopefully that will continue. Bit undisciplined at times tonight but glad we got it done. Stevens goal though tad selfish, was pretty slick. Finn was very good for Colgate. Will wait for a few more gms before i pass any judgement on our goaltending. Overall, nice going NU.
                          "Pretty slick"? That will end up being a top 10 goal this year in NCAA D1. Guy undressed 3 players. All I know is it took 10 weeks to get win #1 last year. We're way ahead of schedule!
                          Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
                          Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

Well, my voice is still trying to recover from that game. But what a game it was. Completely different team from the end of last year. John Stevens said it to me after the game, last year they would have found a way to lose that game. Not this time. Completely dominated a good, physical Colgate team. Competed hard, outshot them by about 30, had a number of quality chances that could have turned the game into a bloodbath. The score does not reflect how dominant NU was. Spend the vast majority of the game with the puck and in the Colgate zone.

Derick played well, shut down two breakaways and and cut the angle off well near the end of the game when Colgate had the puck at the right dot. Defense hung him out to dry a couple times but he stood tall. Didn't realize this but he had a .926 even strength save percentage last year (h/t @neuhockey on Twitter). That's very solid. Alleviates some of my concerns. PK did very well today, shot suppression was great the whole game- first time in over 20 years NU held a team to < 20 shots.

The Stevens line was the best line, not just because of the goals, but all three played physical and forechecked fantastically. 2nd line was good too, very impressed with Gaudette. Kurker needs to stay out of the box. Roy line was ehh, not great.

That crowd though...easily a Top 5 DogHouse that I've been a part of. That was incredible.

If you haven't seen Nolan Stevens' goal- you need to. Goal of the year is sealed already https://***********/GoNUmhockey/stat...12812269092864
                            "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
                              . .If you haven't seen Nolan Stevens' goal- you need to. Goal of the year is sealed already https://***********/GoNUmhockey/stat...12812269092864
                              I would have hit #9 with the pass right after the blue line (and pass early).. still.. now that it went in.. pretty slick.
                              Good for us. (and Stevens)
                              GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Working...
                              X