Penn State Hockey 2015-2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penn State Hockey 2015-2016

Pumped to see what another season brings to our young program. Biggest concern from me is how will the offensive firepower fare without Casey Bailey. Also as alluded to below, last year we were solid at home but really struggled on the road, and nobody emerged as the #1 goalie.

In Sunday's exhibition, PSU fell 2 goals behind to Windsor before cranking out 5 unanswered goals.

They open D-I play Saturday at Canisius, and then a big home opening weekend hosting Notre Dame.

---
    (B1G columnist Drew Claussen's preview):

After its most successful campaign in the program’s short history, expectations at Penn State are sky high.

“We’re coming off of a very exciting season for us,” coach Guy Gadowsky said. “Now the challenge is to build upon that.”

Gadowsky likened the program to a freshman player that found early success and said that obtaining prolonged success will be difficult. The bench boss also spoke highly of his “leadership group” multiple times during his time on the Big Ten’s preseason media call.

“I feel like we have the largest leadership group that we’ve ever had and that’s going to only benefit us,” he said.

Talk of competing for a Big Ten title and making the NCAA tournament for the first time in program history is already floating around Happy Valley, which is pretty impressive considering that the team is entering its third year in the Big Ten and fourth year of varsity status.

Gadowsky, however, said he isn’t worried about the talk going to his players’ heads.

“You can’t forget where you came from,” he said. “This leadership group is more concerned about getting back to our roots, maybe focusing more on the foundation and not getting caught up in the results, and I really like that.”

One thing that should help the Nittany Lions along the way is a distinct home-ice advantage. Penn State went 13-2-3 at Pegula Ice Arena last season. It will play eight of its first 10 contests at home this season.

“I can’t tell you how much fun it is to compete in that arena. The atmosphere is phenomenal,” Gadowsky said. “Not only is it fun, it’s very motivating.”

Last season
    18-15-4, 10-9-1 (fifth) in the Big Ten. Lost to Ohio State in the first round of the Big Ten tournament.

Names to know
    Junior forward David Goodwin is the top returning scorer for the Nittany Lions. He lit the lamp 15 times last season and added 19 assists. Matthew Skoff and Eamon McAdam will both be back in goal this season after both saw time in net last season.

Three questions
    1. Who will replace Casey Bailey and the 22 goals he scored last season?

2. Can someone establish himself as the No. 1 goaltender? Skoff went 7-6-2 last season, McAdam went 5-4-1 and PJ Musico went 6-5-1.

3. Can Penn State improve its play away from Pegula Ice Arena? The Nittany Lions went 4-9 in opposing teams’ arenas last season and were 1-4-1 at neutral-site venues.

Crystal ball
    Leadership group aside, I don’t know whether the Nittany Lions have the experience to compete for a conference title. They may be able to take a run at a first-round bye in the postseason tournament.

Re: Penn State Hockey 2015-2016

W 6-1 at Canisius
    L 4-7 vs Notre Dame
    W 5-3 vs Notre Dame

24 votes in the poll

Home this weekend vs. AIC

Next weekend, looking to see how they fare against the first ranked opponent, #17 St. Lawrence, again at home

Comment

beat up on AIC last night. getting a lot of shots on goal again this year, even against notre dame. defense is a worry though. at least the games should be exciting this year, even in losses.

Comment

Yep, looks like they're sticking with their offensive philosophy of Just Shoot, Baby.

45, 36, 39, 57, and 44 SOG thus far

Comment

it seems like all the psu games have been streamed on the gopsusports website so far. are all the games on the site this year? definitely was not the case last year.

Comment

I haven't seen anything explicitly saying all games will be streamed on gopsusports, but I think all except Canisius have been so far, even the exhibition vs. Windsor. So it seems pretty promising so far, fingers crossed.

Comment

another game streamed on the psu site. 1-1 now. psu actually scored twice on a shift but the ref didnt think the 1st one went in.

Comment

disappointing tie. the PP was awful and let the team down. you need to win games when u outshoot the other team 52-26.

Comment

My understanding is that all, non-conference home games will be streamed online for free.

Comment

Ranked!

Comment

Originally posted by sideshowbob View Post
                      Ranked ahead of Notre Dame!
                      Updated >=)

Comment

is the psu msu game on tv or streamed tonight?

Comment

didnt see the game but its a nice start for psu in conference play. 4-2 over msu. game was blown open in the 2nd when psu scored the first 4 goals of the game.

Comment

That's it guys, crush the sparty. Sure it would be better for Michigan if you split but I hate sparty so much I want you to crush their dreams.... Don't give them an inch!
                            Originally posted by alfablue
                            Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                            Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                            I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
                              That's it guys, crush the sparty. Sure it would be better for Michigan if you split but I hate sparty so much I want you to crush their dreams.... Don't give them an inch!
                              We appear to be! 6-1 in the waning minutes. Exciting way to open up conference play. Course it'd be nice if I could see the thing. @ecem I have the audio stream on but yeah for some reason these games weren't on the normal video streams. My dad's up there and I'm getting reports back from him. Quite a longer trip for me, though

Comment

Working...
                              X