College Hockey in Michigan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College Hockey in Michigan

I know this isn't a new topic, but it's interesting to think about how the addition of women's programs at the two Big Ten schools in Michigan would change the whole landscape. Under the current setup, we will never see much cross-regional play, because the current conference setups (particularly in the WCHA) leave so few opportunities for non-conference play.

In exactly the same way that the creation of a Big Ten conference shook up the men's game, a Big Ten conference would do the same for women. There would be opportunities for the better eastern programs to join up with the UMDs and UNDs to improve the level of play, and it would free up more non-conference opportunities for everyone. You would see more players from the east coming west to play college hockey.

I have heard all the reasons why UM and MSU won't start programs, but a guy can dream, right?

Originally posted by Leather helmet View Post
    I know this isn't a new topic, but it's interesting to think about how the addition of women's programs at the two Big Ten schools in Michigan would change the whole landscape. Under the current setup, we will never see much cross-regional play, because the current conference setups (particularly in the WCHA) leave so few opportunities for non-conference play.

In exactly the same way that the creation of a Big Ten conference shook up the men's game, a Big Ten conference would do the same for women. There would be opportunities for the better eastern programs to join up with the UMDs and UNDs to improve the level of play, and it would free up more non-conference opportunities for everyone. You would see more players from the east coming west to play college hockey.

I have heard all the reasons why UM and MSU won't start programs, but a guy can dream, right?
    Those 2 and Notre Dame...big, beautiful rink & money to burn. If even one of those 3 schools bit the bullet it would be seismic.

Comment

Re: College Hockey in Michigan

In exactly the same way that the creation of a Big Ten conference shook up the men's game, a Big Ten conference would do the same for women.
      NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO kill it with fire
      Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
      Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
      Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Don't hold your breath...

There have been rumors for years (on and off) that Michigan or Michigan State were going to start a program. The former U of M AD was quoted a couple of years ago that he has been approached and offered a donation totaling as much as $1,000,000 to start such a program - but that would only cover one year. A much larger endowment would be required in the eyes of the AD and regents, ala Pegula.

A more laughable explanation that neither school has a women's program is that Red Berenson (UM Men's Coach) will not let it happen. As if Michigan State would take its cues from Michigan!?

This article is a little dated, but details the same $$ issue https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...6pUdJXAUszOPlg

Comment

Originally posted by bc6696 View Post
          Don't hold your breath...

There have been rumors for years (on and off) that Michigan or Michigan State were going to start a program. The former U of M AD was quoted a couple of years ago that he has been approached and offered a donation totaling as much as $1,000,000 to start such a program - but that would only cover one year. A much larger endowment would be required in the eyes of the AD and regents, ala Pegula.

A more laughable explanation that neither school has a women's program is that Red Berenson (UM Men's Coach) will not let it happen. As if Michigan State would take its cues from Michigan!?

This article is a little dated, but details the same $$ issue https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...6pUdJXAUszOPlg
          It just seems a shame that a state with as much hockey tradition as Michigan points to Finlandia as their flagship college program.

Comment

It just seems a shame that a state with as much hockey tradition as Michigan points to Finlandia as their flagship college program.
            Very funny. I think you mean either tattered flagship or sinking flagship - take your pick. There's nobody at the helm steering that ship. The AD will probably step back in or the men's assistant coach. Bad move either way but let's face it anyone could step in right now to run that program. They should just let the assistant coaches run the women's team this year.
            Last edited by shelfit; 10-07-2015, 10:39 AM.

Comment

As long as we're dreaming...I'd rather see an eight team CHA leaving the current women's WCHA intact.
              Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Ummm...Adrian says hello.
                FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                  Yeah, I knew my comment wasn't literally true, but I couldn't resist.

Comment

Didn't know Adrian students could spell "hello." Not the strongest academic choice of schools from what I've been told by many people that are in the know.

Comment

"Many people in the know"

Gotta love that one.

Having been around our girls the past few years, I'd say our girls can hold their own in the classroom.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                        Didn't know Adrian students could spell "hello." Not the strongest academic choice of schools from what I've been told by many people that are in the know.

Thanks so much for your input on College Hockey in Michigan
                        Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Back on topic, for a moment.

Michigan and MSU have ACHA D-1 teams. Pure speculation here, but I would think that one would not make the jump without the other, for scheduling purposes, if nothing else. My WAG is that we see movement in the next five years.

God, that was fun...

Comment

"Many people in the know"

Gotta love that one.

Having been around our girls the past few years, I'd say our girls can hold their own in the classroom.

Not too hard to hold your own in an Adrian classroom. Don't worry there are other schools at that academic level too. It's not just Adrian.

Comment

Back on topic, for a moment.

Michigan and MSU have ACHA D-1 teams. Pure speculation here, but I would think that one would not make the jump without the other, for scheduling purposes, if nothing else. My WAG is that we see movement in the next five years.
                              I have no connection at either Mi school but I do have a son who plays lacrosse, so I pay attention to expansion in that sport. MSU AD has been asked repeatedly about restarting the MSU men's D1 lacrosse team, especially since the Big 10 men's lacrosse league has really taken off. My guess would be if MSU is going to add a sport it would probably be men's lacrosse, follwed by women's lacrosse (title IX). Just a guess.
                              As far as UM is concerned, we toured the new athletic facilites there this summer and saw the grand plans for their new state of the art lacrosse facility. No expense spared, truly. That (and jump starting the football program) seems to be the priority in Ann Arbor, at least that's how the head lacrosse coach presented it. I think women's hockey is pretty far down on the list there, unfortunatley.

Comment

Working...
                              X