College Hockey in Michigan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
    It's not an NCAA rule; it's a Big 10 rule that they will not sponsor a sport that fewer than six conference teams play.
    6 (7 in D3) gets you an AQ.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Re: College Hockey in Michigan

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      6 (7 in D3) gets you an AQ.
      I'm pretty sure that the conference rule significantly predates the NCAA rule on automatic qualifiers. It's also why they came up with the goofy associate member status for Johns Hopkins so that they could start Big 10 lacrosse.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
        I'm pretty sure that the conference rule significantly predates the NCAA rule on automatic qualifiers. It's also why they came up with the goofy associate member status for Johns Hopkins so that they could start Big 10 lacrosse.
        Personally find that associate member status pathetic, and really just to have something to put on the BTN. Though now you will see that status most likely used to include AZ into the conference.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
          Personally find that associate member status pathetic, and really just to have something to put on the BTN. Though now you will see that status most likely used to include AZ into the conference.
          I'd agree with you, except that, if we just had to establish a presence on the east coast, I'd rather have Johns Hopkins than either Rutgers or Maryland.

Comment

I'd agree with you, except that, if we just had to establish a presence on the east coast, I'd rather have Johns Hopkins than either Rutgers or Maryland.

Comment

Regarding six teams and a Big Ten conference:

somebody needs to point out that Penn State has a womens team. Sixth team for a B1G conference.

(not that I expect any of it to happen)

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                Regarding six teams and a Big Ten conference:

somebody needs to point out that Penn State has a womens team. Sixth team for a B1G conference.

(not that I expect any of it to happen)
                We realize that if Michigan and Mich. State added teams, then there would be six Big Ten teams. My point was that if the WCHA lost three teams, then the remaining teams wouldn't get an autobid unless they added someone. The CHA would have the same problem. I guess the quick fix would be to combine them into a 10-team league, but it would be a very sprawled out league for women's hockey.
                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                  Very funny. I think you mean either tattered flagship or sinking flagship - take your pick. There's nobody at the helm steering that ship. The AD will probably step back in or the men's assistant coach. Bad move either way but let's face it anyone could step in right now to run that program. They should just let the assistant coaches run the women's team this year.
                  Judging from their staff directory it looks like the men's assistant has been given the women's team for this year:

Matt Marchel
                  Interim Head Women's Hockey Coach

Now the men's team is looking for a new assistant coach from this posting on the American Hockey Coaches Association site:

Assistant Varsity Coach/Head JV Coach

Finlandia University Mens Hockey program is currently accepting applications for an interim Assistant Varsity Coach/ Head JV Coach. This position would last from October 19 until the season is complete. Compensation will be discussed with applicants.

Duties would include:

-on ice instruction with both Varsity and JV programs
                  -travel schedules
                  -academic monitoring
                  -video breakdown
                  -community relations
                  -recruiting of future student athletes
                  -other duties as assigned

If you are interested, please contact:

Dane Litke
                  Head Mens Hockey Coach
                  Dane.litke@finlandia.edu

Posted on 10/06/2015

Comment

I heard Dr. Jeffrey Docking, Pres. of Adrian College interviewed the other day. It was basically about the struggles small Midwest liberal arts colleges have faced in the enrollment/budget areas and the solutions Adrian has come up with. When he started there in 2005 there were 850 students. Today there are north of 1700. The plan to boost enrollment was to spend (not cut) ambitiously in music and athletic programming. There was much resistance at first from alumni/donor class. They eventually believed in his "business" plan and $ started coming in. A symphony was organized as well as a marching band. When he started, there were 16 sports, now there are 37. (that's thirty seven) I think if hockey is to expand in the great lakes state, it's probably going to be the smaller, private schools like
                    Albion, Olivet, Kalamazoo, etc. not nec. big public U's unless a Pegula-like whale comes along.

Comment

Originally posted by Genbeau View Post
                      I heard Dr. Jeffrey Docking, Pres. of Adrian College interviewed the other day. It was basically about the struggles small Midwest liberal arts colleges have faced in the enrollment/budget areas and the solutions Adrian has come up with. When he started there in 2005 there were 850 students. Today there are north of 1700. The plan to boost enrollment was to spend (not cut) ambitiously in music and athletic programming. There was much resistance at first from alumni/donor class. They eventually believed in his "business" plan and $ started coming in. A symphony was organized as well as a marching band. When he started, there were 16 sports, now there are 37. (that's thirty seven) I think if hockey is to expand in the great lakes state, it's probably going to be the smaller, private schools like
                      Albion, Olivet, Kalamazoo, etc. not nec. big public U's unless a Pegula-like whale comes along.
                      Adrian even has a Bass Fishing team, ranked #1. Using sports to build enrollment and in this case working so far.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/co...lege/76210606/

Comment

Adrian even has a Bass Fishing team, ranked #1. Using sports to build enrollment and in this case working so far.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/co...lege/76210606/
                        I wonder if women are eligible for the team?
                        Totally unrelated, but take a look at these two fish recently caught on a lake about 90 miles north of the Twin Cities:

http://www.startribune.com/possible-...acs/346231112/
                        http://www.startribune.com/mille-lac...ays/359774331/
                        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

"I think if hockey is to expand in the great lakes state, it's probably going to be the smaller, private schools like
                          Albion, Olivet, Kalamazoo, etc. not nec. big public U's unless a Pegula-like whale comes along"

I think that would be great for women's college hockey in Michigan. They could be like the MIAC in terms of the size of the schools, etc. Think of the choices girls from Michigan would have to stay in their home state and play college hockey instead of going so far from home (not forgetting about Adrian or Finlandia).

Comment

Working...
                          X