This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMass Lowell 2015-2016 Season Thread

The weekend preview is out on the Lowell page. Apparently we're playing the first game tonight. And there are plenty of spelling mistakes again. Amazing.
    Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
    2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
    2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
    2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
    2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Burlington's paper with a good read on the recent history between these two teams.
      Monty

2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
      2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

• You guys just dropped the SAT requirement for admissions today.. me thinks you're going to get even better hockey players than you do already.
        GO NU HOCKEY
        Always bullish on the future.
        We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
          You guys just dropped the SAT requirement for admissions today.. me thinks you're going to get even better hockey players than you do already.
          I noticed that. Seems like a lot of schools have been doing that...
          Monty

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
            The change in admissions policy will be tried on a temporary basis.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/201...unO/story.html

Comment

the GPA required for many of the programs is pretty high tho. My kid's major it is 3.6

Comment

• Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                the GPA required for many of the programs is pretty high tho. My kid's major it is 3.6
                In my experience those are weighted GPAs, meaning students get credit for taking honors and AP classes. Also exempting plastics, i don't think any program has a hard gpa requirement, the rest just report averages.

On the SAT discussion, the thing is it protects low scorers, not low incomes as many articles will argue. Full disclosure my fee for the SAT was waived due to financial issues by ETS, so I know low income students can take the exam up to six times for free.

They're right to get rid of the requirement though, there are better indicators like class rank and gpa which adequately consider the academics of the student
                BS UMass Lowell 2015
                PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
                  the theories behind it tend to be extremely laughable to be honest. I view this as a negative for the school at the expensive of quackery.
                  BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                  Skating Friar Jersey
                  AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                  UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                  Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
                    In my experience those are weighted GPAs, meaning students get credit for taking honors and AP classes. Also exempting plastics, i don't think any program has a hard gpa requirement, the rest just report averages.

On the SAT discussion, the thing is it protects low scorers, not low incomes as many articles will argue. Full disclosure my fee for the SAT was waived due to financial issues by ETS, so I know low income students can take the exam up to six times for free.

They're right to get rid of the requirement though, there are better indicators like class rank and gpa which adequately consider the academics of the student
                    66/173... 2.9GPA... Fitchburg HS. (1290 SAT... took it once... didn't really care to study)

---

Again, its based on theories rattling around for decades that only now have enough critical mass not because of validity but rather due to the number of adherents in the academy.

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

Absolutely agree. Dropping the requirement makes sense if they aren't going to use it, and standardized testing does little to reflect anything that wouldn't otherwise been shown from other requirements.

Zink is on fire these last couple weeks, gotta kill this
                      BS UMass Lowell 2015

Comment

Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
                        Absolutely agree. Dropping the requirement makes sense if they aren't going to use it, and standardized testing does little to reflect anything that wouldn't otherwise been shown from other requirements.
                        You just read that I finished in the middle of my HS class at a bad high school with a not stellar GPA, yes?

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                          You just read that I finished in the middle of my HS class at a bad high school with a not stellar GPA, yes?
                          Yes, I am saying they are better indicators, not the end all be all.
                          BS UMass Lowell 2015

Comment

And back to hockey. A win for us! Yay!!

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                              And back to hockey. A win for us! Yay!!
                              Yep. Wish we had dominated play more. The game play was (much?) closer than the score indicated but it still counts. Hoping that some film work (pr whatever) today brings out some big changes for tonight, like we saw in Duluth. GO HAWKS
                              Gary

www.umlhockey.com
                              Unofficial Home of Lowell Hockey

182nd member to 2,000 posts
                              "It's like putting lipstick on a pig." Chris MacKenzie says, speaking of the fresh paint on the visiting locker room at Alfond.
                              KnowItAll: "I have little respect for the imagination and creativity of a person who can only think of ONE way to spell a word."

Comment

Third UVM goal was on Mueller. Jumped up to swipe at the puck outside the UVM blue line and watched the puck carrier go right past him. Mind boggling that he would make that play up three in the third period.
                                Last edited by Patronick; 11-07-2015, 10:05 AM. Reason: 7 not 4
                                Lowell Forever
                                Forever Lowell

Comment

Working...
                                X