X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers Season Thread 2015-16

Originally posted by D2D View Post
    Other thoughts?
    You might wanna qualify that just in case. Don't ask for just "other thoughts", we've had plenty on the last two pages. I did mention the easier path for the RS title for the Gophers per the Mich loss on the last page as well. It may have been hard to spot amidst the crossfire though.
    Last edited by SteveO; 03-07-2016, 12:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
      It may have been hard to spot amidst the crossfire though.
      I confess to skimming this (and other) threads very quickly when they become dominated by pointless, irrelevant back-and-forth chatter that have little to do with the reality of Gopher hockey. I find there is about 90% less of this on the women's forum, which means I usually learn a lot more of what's going on there with their program (and D1 women's hockey in general) than I typically do here with the men's. But as a 40+ year season ticket holder to the men's I'm pretty heavily invested in their continued success, and I really do appreciate any honest opinions (or random thoughts!) that might contribute to my understanding of the program, what's really going on now and what we can look forward to that isn't readily apparent from watching the games, either in person or on TV.
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

This was supposed to be either a rebuild or reload team. Whatever those mean. I don't know that we could have ever been anything beyond a third seed and more likely a fourth in the tourney. Which in all likelihood means one and done no matter what. A 5th straight conf title is not a bad outcome for this team. But two B1G tournament wins is not that much of a stretch (neither is a one and done there as well).

Edit: I know the season not over. But the latest thinking is that we'll be adding Pitlick, Middelstadt, Notermann, Lindgren, and Zuhlsdorf next year? This current years recruits may turn out decent...but the upcoming ones should be serious hauls.
        Last edited by 5mn_Major; 03-07-2016, 11:37 AM.
        Go Gophers!

Comment

I confess to skimming this (and other) threads very quickly when they become dominated by pointless, irrelevant back-and-forth chatter that have little to do with the reality of Gopher hockey. I find there is about 90% less of this on the women's forum, which means I usually learn a lot more of what's going on there with their program (and D1 women's hockey in general) than I typically do here with the men's. But as a 40+ year season ticket holder to the men's I'm pretty heavily invested in their continued success, and I really do appreciate any honest opinions (or random thoughts!) that might contribute to my understanding of the program, what's really going on now and what we can look forward to that isn't readily apparent from watching the games, either in person or on TV.
          I understand your point on the "chatter". Personally, I don't mind it as it reminds me of locker room and on ice trash talk that I've seen and been a part of quite a bit. The rivalries on here go back a long way and in a sense it's part of the online fanbase experience. It's all in fun though. I wouldn't expect to see the same on the women's side unless of course they're juicing testosterone.

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
            This was supposed to be either a rebuild or reload team. Whatever those mean. I don't know that we could have ever been anything beyond a third seed and more likely a fourth in the tourney. Which in all likelihood means one and done no matter what. A 5th straight conf title is not a bad outcome for this team. But two B1G tournament wins is not that much of a stretch (neither is a one and done there as well).

Edit: I know the season not over. But the latest thinking is that we'll be adding Pitlick, Middelstadt, Notermann, Lindgren, and Zuhlsdorf next year? This current years recruits may turn out decent...but the upcoming ones should be serious hauls.
            Rebuild and reload are two very different things. Going into the year I said we'd be on the bubble, though I'm disappointed by the multiple embarrassing performances so far.

Switch Notermann with Marooney. Mittelstadt is unknown. Wait may be forced to come in.

Comment

Is Notermann any relation to Jason Notermann, who played for UND from 00 to o4? He was from Rochester.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                Is Notermann any relation to Jason Notermann, who played for UND from 00 to o4? He was from Rochester.
                I believe they are cousins.
                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                  Rebuild and reload are two very different things. Going into the year I said we'd be on the bubble, though I'm disappointed by the multiple embarrassing performances so far.

Switch Notermann with Marooney. Mittelstadt is unknown. Wait may be forced to come in.
                  Yeah...was thinking just over .500...which is what they are.

So at forward the latest thinking is Pitlick, Marooney, and either Mittelstadt or Wait. Obviously both Wait and Notermann could use USHL time...and Marooney is what he is. This of course depending on departures.
                  Go Gophers!

Comment

So at forward the latest thinking is Pitlick, Marooney, and either Mittelstadt or Wait. Obviously both Wait and Notermann could use USHL time...and Marooney is what he is. This of course depending on departures.
                    Mittelstadt was a Junior this year, and I thought everything I read said he did not accelerate his studies. So how would he come in?

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                      Mittelstadt was a Junior this year, and I thought everything I read said he did not accelerate his studies. So how would he come in?
                      Whatever, whenever he comes in, this kid is the real deal! There is little doubt he will be a huge help in bolstering the Gophers' offense during his tenure, which I'm afraid will be cut short by at least two years before he turns pro. Hope I'm wrong.

Comment

Lots of former Gophers on this video of the Top 100 Minnesota High School Hockey Players of All Time.

https://youtu.be/r0sxZo8nvN0

Comment

Wait is NOT coming in next year. Back to Waterloo (or someone else in the USHL if there is a trade).

Comment

I can understand the team's apathy tonight. What, with having the conference title and high seed in the NCAA tourney already wrapped up there was no reason to play more than 5 minutes inspired hockey.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                            And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                            Twenty red lights in his honor
                            Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
                              I can understand the team's apathy tonight. What, with having the conference title and high seed in the NCAA tourney already wrapped up there was no reason to play more than 5 minutes inspired hockey.
                              Just one problem, they DON'T have the conference title wrapped up. Michigan will beat Penn State again tomorrow night - a near certainty. Gophers need at least a shootout win to take the conference.

Comment

Just one problem, they DON'T have the conference title wrapped up. Michigan will beat Penn State again tomorrow night - a near certainty. Gophers need at least a shootout win to take the conference.
                                You finished top of your class, didn't you?
                                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Working...
                                X