X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota Gophers Season Thread 2015-16

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
    They ran a 1-3-1.
    Ok, it certainly looked very fluid in the neutral zone so I wasn't sure if it was a designed trap or not. Admittedly, I was often distracted by Brenthoven's consistent clamoring about his new taste in Belgium Pale Ale, The Horny Devil.

AleSmith Horny Devil Ale 750ML

Comment

Criticism of UW for it playing a trap is sometimes times on target, sometimes a bit over the top. VM did not play a trap...but rather a wise defensive strategy when ahead which we couldn't break.

I agree 100%. I think Don was tiredof all the antics we've seen in the exhibition games recently, but an exhibition would have done a lot of good for such a young team IMO.
      Yeah. I know he said he felt like the exhibition games were not necessary. But it would have been a plus to judge the situation in advance. Knowing in prior years we should be loaded with talent...and this year that we should be loaded with freshmen. And skipped them in years that we should blow out teams...and had them in years we could in all probability greatly use one.

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
      Thoughts from being at the game on Saturday though I did not go back and watch the DVR yet:
      -I don't understand the Fasching hate at times around here. He work his *** off every shift, it just doesn't always result in goals but I think that will come
      I said I think he's fine. I just don't know that he's going end up being Haula, Bjugs, Rau or Kloos kind of good.

Kloos is the man.
      Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
        Ok, it certainly looked very fluid in the neutral zone so I wasn't sure if it was a designed trap or not. Admittedly, I was often distracted by Brenthoven's consistent clamoring about his new taste in Belgium Pale Ale, The Horny Devil.

AleSmith Horny Devil Ale 750ML
        lol
        @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
        On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
        High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
          Criticism of UW for it playing a trap is sometimes times on target, sometimes a bit over the top. VM did not play a trap...but rather a wise defensive strategy when ahead which we couldn't break.

Yeah. I know he said he felt like the exhibition games were not necessary. But it would have been a plus to judge the situation in advance. Knowing in prior years we should be loaded with talent...and this year that we should be loaded with freshmen. And skipped them in years that we should blow out teams...and had them in years we could in all probability greatly use one.

I said I think he's fine. I just don't know that he's going end up being Haula, Bjugs, Rau or Kloos kind of good.

Kloos is the man.
          Lucia said they were running the 1-3-1 in his post game. I'm going off what he said as it's hard to tell exacly on TV as you often can't see much away from the puck. Certainly explains the neutral zone issues the Gophers had.

That isn't some sort of excuse, but context for why the long stretch passes and turnovers were an issue. The team needs to be able to adjust accordingly. Get pucks in deep.
          Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 10-12-2015, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Lucia said they were running the 1-3-1 in his post game. Going off what he said as it's hard to tell exacly on TV as you often can't see much away from the puck. Certainly explains the neutral zone issues the Gophers had.

That isn't some sort of excuse, but context for why the long stretch passes and turnovers were an issue. The team needs to be able to adjust accordingly. Get pucks in deep.
            If it's so effective maybe he should teach that tactic to his team, at least to have it in his bag of strategies. I know, boring, but they don't award post-season births based on style points.
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
              If it's so effective maybe he should teach that tactic to his team, at least to have it in his bag of strategies. I know, boring, but they don't award post-season births based on style points.
              I have never been too opposed to playing a structured game defensively. It can take a while to teach kids those systems, but they can be very effective with the right personal and right coaching.

That said, I don't think the Gophers attacked the neutral zone the right way either, which was as big of a factor. Needed more short, crisp passing, or just dump the puck and chase if there are no outlets. We either tried to stretch the ice, or carried it and turnedit over. Both created odd number situations the other way.

They'll learn (I hope)

Comment

It wasn't just the system that Vermont was playing. The Gophers' decisions with the puck were painfully slow all night (even when there were options available) and their puck handling was wobbly.

I firmly believe that this team will be getting better. So I'm not freaking out or panicking over their single performance, in the first game of the year. But there were a lot of things in that game that need to be improved upon, regardless of who their opponent is or the system(s) they play.

Some people have said they feel comfortable with our defensive corp but worry about where the offense is going to come from. For me, my biggest concern is in that defensive group. You look at the 6 guys who played there on Saturday, and it leaves you wondering where those puck-moving D, that have always been a staple of Gopher hockey, are.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                  Some people have said they feel comfortable with our defensive corp but worry about where the offense is going to come from. For me, my biggest concern is in that defensive group. You look at the 6 guys who played there on Saturday, and it leaves you wondering where those puck-moving D, that have always been a staple of Gopher hockey, are.
                  Yeah, that's me. Our D have average experience. I don't expect long passes to connect in the first game...and there will probably be some passing issues in October. That's normal. But I am concerned with scoring. One could say C Reilly and Fasching are proven goal scorers. But they each have had other players carry the play to them (Rau in the case of Fasching and the PP play for Reilly) so they can finish. Cammy, Bristedt and pretty much all our freshmen seem to be support, set up guys. Outside of Kloos, I don't know of other players that can carry play and finish. If the D need to effectively defend and go beyond their usual support role to ensure we score (i.e., become a full defensive corp of M Reillys) for us to win...then folks will be disappointed in them.
                  Go Gophers!

Comment

Can't disagree with any of that fellas.

Comment

We don''t have an offensive D this season, but I envision there will be some offensive surge at times from Brodz, Seeler and Bischoff. In terms of offensive scoring, C. Reilly hasn't played since Feb. but he's got tremendous potential as a goal scorer. Fasching will get his share, but in my opinion he's a "low B" player with a limited skill set. His niche is near the paint. I think we'll see a couple FR like Gates and Novak emerge as goal scorers once they settle into their game. Vinni has always impressed me with his speed and hustle, but needs to position himself in space to be a consistent goal scorer. This team will get much better as the season progresses, and if we peak at the right time we'll be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                        We don''t have an offensive D this season, but I envision there will be some offensive surge at times from Brodz, Seeler and Bischoff. In terms of offensive scoring, C. Reilly hasn't played since Feb. but he's got tremendous potential as a goal scorer. Fasching will get his share, but in my opinion he's a "low B" player with a limited skill set. His niche is near the paint. I think we'll see a couple FR like Gates and Novak emerge as goal scorers once they settle into their game. Vinni has always impressed me with his speed and hustle, but needs to position himself in space to be a consistent goal scorer. This team will get much better as the season progresses, and if we peak at the right time we'll be fine.
                        Other than your shot at Fasching, I cannot argue with any of your other observations. Like most everyone else I do not believe Fasching has played to his potential following a promising freshman campaign. But I would argue that it takes more than a "low B" player to be on the 1st (or even 2nd) line. I'm glad he decided to come back, and I'm sure he realizes more than anybody what this year means to him in terms of securing better options when he moves to the pros next season.
                        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                          Other than your shot at Fasching, I cannot argue with any of your other observations. Like most everyone else I do not believe Fasching has played to his potential following a promising freshman campaign. But I would argue that it takes more than a "low B" player to be on the 1st (or even 2nd) line. I'm glad he decided to come back, and I'm sure he realizes more than anybody what this year means to him in terms of securing better options when he moves to the pros next season.
                          I think Fasching is a great kid with a heart of gold evidenced by his family commitment and quite a story IIRC. But if you examine his power forward game, his stick handling skills are average, he doesn't have an extraordinary slap, wrist or snapshot, he doesn't have quick moves that put him in open space for a clear shot, he doesn't possess breakaway speed and he is not a strong two-way player.

What he does possess is 4th and 5th gear nearly every shift, a big body to camp in front, screen and score in the dirty areas, fairly consistent puck support in the corners and along the walls and he's a good team player. IMO he's a "low B" meaning I would expect 10-12 Gs a season most within his niche around the paint, and provide a physical presence in front and along the walls with good puck support when cycling and running offensive systems. He's on the first line because of his power forward presence to complement Kloos, who has greater playmaking and scoring potential. The Gophers have had many "B" players on the first line in years past and his stature and ability are a bit like Mike Hoeffel (2007-11).

EDIT: I would add I'd be very surprised if Fasching plays in the NHL. He seems more like permanent AHL material to me.
                          Last edited by HarleyMC; 10-13-2015, 11:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                            Yeah, that's me. Our D have average experience. I don't expect long passes to connect in the first game...and there will probably be some passing issues in October. That's normal. But I am concerned with scoring. One could say C Reilly and Fasching are proven goal scorers. But they each have had other players carry the play to them (Rau in the case of Fasching and the PP play for Reilly) so they can finish. Cammy, Bristedt and pretty much all our freshmen seem to be support, set up guys. Outside of Kloos, I don't know of other players that can carry play and finish. If the D need to effectively defend and go beyond their usual support role to ensure we score (i.e., become a full defensive corp of M Reillys) for us to win...then folks will be disappointed in them.
                            As I mentioned in the Hall of Fame Game thread, I am a Vermont fan and watched the broadcast. While a loss is a loss, I feel that UVM was fortunate to come out of your barn with a win, much less one that seems to indicate domination. While UVM did a good job of clogging center ice, Minnesota had at least 6 to 8 golden scoring opportunities where the puck was shot wide, depriving the team of a goal or a rebound to cash in. UVM has two strong physical D and 4 weak ones and they did not have to clear the front of the net all night. My guess is that as the season goes on and the sticks are gripped a little less tight by the freshmen, those shots will hit the net and goals will follow. It didn't seem to be the powerhouse Minnesota team of recent years but not a bad squad at all.
                            Good luck in your season. We want you to win all your remaining regular season games.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoser View Post
                              Minnesota had at least 6 to 8 golden scoring opportunities where the puck was shot wide, depriving the team of a goal or a rebound to cash in.
                              #GopherHockey

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                                #GopherHockey
                                Agreed, reminiscent of last season when they couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Even if you're going for a one or three hole, hit the net!

Comment

Working...
                                X