Minnesota Gophers Season Thread 2015-16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers Season Thread 2015-16

#6 may not make it back into the lineup this year.

Man is he having a rough season.
    @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
    On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
    High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

• Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
      They're young.

Enjoy the moment.
      Hopefully they do get better. But the attitude that they just arent playing hard enough is insulting to both the Gopher players and the teams they are playing.
      Originally posted by SJHovey
      Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
      Originally posted by Brenthoven
      We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
        Hopefully they do get better. But the attitude that they just arent playing hard enough is insulting to both the Gopher players and the teams they are playing.
        For once, we agree. The talent is there, or will mature enough to be there, but the effort....
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
          I don't think they played with much energy Saturday. Lost a lot of races to pucks. Lots of puck watching. Today wasn't as bad. I think this weekend was a bit of both. They aren't as bad as they played this weekend, but absolutely have a ways to go. BSU and MSU deserved to win. they played better hockey, bottom line.
          @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
          On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
          High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
            I don't think they played with much energy Saturday. Lost a lot of races to pucks. Lots of puck watching.
            Which I don't understand at all when you're playing your in-state rivals, against whom you have a very poor record the last dozen or so games, and you're playing on the big stage. How do they not have much energy? Nervous? Tired? Intimidated? All of the above?
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Schierhorn is keeping us in games. Sometimes it makes the difference in a W. In others, like this weekend, he's keeping it from being a blowout. The Mavs outshot the Gophers 22 to 11 in the second two periods...and yeah, play was that lopsided. Schierhorn let in just two...one of them a 5 on 3. I'm still not sure about this overall frosh class.

Back to the friendly confines of the B1G.
              Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                Schierhorn is keeping us in games. Sometimes it makes the difference in a W. In others, like this weekend, he's keeping it from being a blowout. The Mavs outshot the Gophers 22 to 11 in the second two periods...and yeah, play was that lopsided. Schierhorn let in just two...one of them a 5 on 3. I'm still not sure about this overall frosh class.

I was also keeping track of the shots during the game, and after the first period, it was really bad. REALLY bad. IIRC, we didn't get a shot until about 5 min into the second period. That's just not right.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Well, the Gophers bombed for the 2nd year in row and each year has surprised me. Last season they had the SR talent and bombed. This weekend though was IMO horrific. They seemed very unprepared for battle, did not carry their momentum into the weekend and therefore nothing worked well. They showed especially poor D coverage in the zone, there was no relentless backcheck, no coordination of their O systems, poor puck support, no net rush or presence (where was Fasching?), lost puck battles everywhere on the walls and took too many costly penalties. This weekend was perhaps the worst I've seen them as a team since their dismal start to the season. They better do some soul searching if they expect a postseason.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                    Well, the Gophers bombed for the 2nd year in row and each year has surprised me. Last season they had the SR talent and bombed. This weekend though was IMO horrific. They seemed very unprepared for battle, did not carry their momentum into the weekend and therefore nothing worked well. They showed especially poor D coverage in the zone, there was no relentless backcheck, no coordination of their O systems, poor puck support, no net rush or presence (where was Fasching?), lost puck battles everywhere on the walls and took too many costly penalties. This weekend was perhaps the worst I've seen them as a team since their dismal start to the season. They better do some soul searching if they expect a postseason.
                    It was not a good weekend. Thankfully I was in public for most of the games, so I could not orally vent my thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                      It was not a good weekend. Thankfully I was in public for most of the games, so I could not orally vent my thoughts.
                      Yeah, terrible man. I'm sure the players are hangin' their heads trying to forget it. But it's not easy when you play THAT BAD. This weekend's debacle was absolutely unexpected for me.

Comment

Schierhorn is keeping us in games.
                        So true, season would have gone from being merely disappointing to a disaster without him. How many breakaways has he stopped this season?

This coming weekend is critical if the Gophers hope to climb back into the PWR picture. Absolutely need to sweep PSU at home. Otherwise, having to win the B1G tourney will be pretty much a must if they're to get a sniff at the NCAA's. Even then, and at this point even getting in looks to be a real longshot, the team will probably end up going out East against a very high tournament seed....or staying closer to home and getting matched up against UND or St. Cloud. At this point I would settle for any of the above...
                        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                          So true, season would have gone from being merely disappointing to a disaster without him. How many breakaways has he stopped this season?

This coming weekend is critical if the Gophers hope to climb back into the PWR picture. Absolutely need to sweep PSU at home. Otherwise, having to win the B1G tourney will be pretty much a must if they're to get a sniff at the NCAA's. Even then, and at this point even getting in looks to be a real longshot, the team will probably end up going out East against a very high tournament seed....or staying closer to home and getting matched up against UND or St. Cloud. At this point I would settle for any of the above...
                          Even if we win out, I think we need to win the B1G to get in. Truth.

Comment

Lucia and MG better be cracking the whip in every practice this week. This weekend's lack of tenacity and execution of fundamentals was shocking.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                              Even if we win out, I think we need to win the B1G to get in. Truth.
                              Yeah. And I think I'm OK with that. After going 5-10 in NC play for the year, we don't really deserve to get in. From a novelty standpoint, I'd like to see if they can win the B1G regular season. But beyond that, we really don't deserve more.

The season is almost over...so a soft year close isn't that bad. I'm really just hoping us getting a year older will get us into top 10 shape. But I'm not so sure.
                              Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post

Gophers host the West Regional this year so should they find their way in, they will be at the X.
                                "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Working...
                                X