Minnesota Gophers Season Thread 2015-16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers Season Thread 2015-16

Posted this in the series thread. Posting here too. Lucia also said Michaelson is ready to come back. My guess is Novak out and Michaelson in this weekend.

#Gophers Tommy Novak skated on his own a little bit today and is back to his baseline for the concussion protocol testing.

Novak's next step is to practice without contact, will evaluate Fri whether he's ready to play, it's up to the training staff not coaches.

Lucia indicated that the trainer thinks when knocked out it's a quicker recovery, 'brain reboots,' rather than if conscious after impact.

Lucia is showing his players the video of the boarding, check from behind, and open ice hit to remind players to be accountable.

Lucia said It's up to the players to be respectful of the game and be respectful of your opponent.

Lucia: The hit that we saw on Novak is a hit that needs to be taken out of the game.

Lucia: The idea of hitting is to separate a player from a puck, it’s not to destroy somebody.

Lucia: If you’re a parent sitting in the stands, who wants to see their son get hit like that? That’s not what you play the game for.
    @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
    On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
    High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Got my fingers crossed. The kid's been playing great lately.
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by D2D View Post
        Got my fingers crossed. The kid's been playing great lately.
        Yeah, he really has been.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Dream No. 2 View Post
          Or you can look at it from the other perspective that they're now in the easy portion of the season as they're playing awful Big 14 competition.
          But we're in a freefall and are terrible! We shouldn't be beating bad teams this badly! Or something.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post

Lucia is showing his players the video of the boarding, check from behind, and open ice hit to remind players to be accountable.

Lucia said It's up to the players to be respectful of the game and be respectful of your opponent.

Lucia: The hit that we saw on Novak is a hit that needs to be taken out of the game.

Lucia: The idea of hitting is to separate a player from a puck, it’s not to destroy somebody.

Lucia: If you’re a parent sitting in the stands, who wants to see their son get hit like that? That’s not what you play the game for.
            Think Eaves did the same? Maybe he showed video and explained why they shouldn't have been penalties, in his opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
              Think Eaves did the same? Maybe he showed video and explained why they shouldn't have been penalties, in his opinion.
              If one doesn't think the Wittchow hit wasn't a penalty of some sort, they need to have their head examined.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                If one doesn't think the Wittchow hit wasn't a penalty of some sort, they need to have their head examined.
                Well he was arguing the call in the game and trying to appeal the penalty.....

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                  Well he was arguing the call in the game and trying to appeal the penalty.....
                  Coach's role. But if he's showing film to his players and saying this is a clean hit, behind closed doors.........

Comment

Coach's role. But if he's showing film to his players and saying this is a clean hit, behind closed doors.........
                    That goes beyond coach's role. It sends a clear message that players don't need to avoid these types of hits.

I'm trying hard not to pile on, because as I've said previously these kind of hits can happen on any team. But as a coach, your actions and what you say sends messages to your players.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                      That goes beyond coach's role. It sends a clear message that players don't need to avoid these types of hits.

I'm trying hard not to pile on, because as I've said previously these kind of hits can happen on any team. But as a coach, your actions and what you say sends messages to your players.
                      Publicly, you stand behind your players. You may sugarcoat it, etc, for the media, but you back your player. In the locker room, you say what's what. That is my take.

Comment

Publicly, you stand behind your players. You may sugarcoat it, etc, for the media, but you back your player. In the locker room, you say what's what. That is my take.
                        Respectfully disagree. Especially when dealing with college kids. I'm not saying Eaves should have come out and called the hit dirty, or Wittchow dirty, but I think he did have a responsibility to publicly say those types of hits aren't OK and Wittchow made a mistake.

He doesn't have to throw the kid under the bus, but he shouldn't be arguing the penalty or appealing the suspension, either. That sends a message.
                        You can have your kids' backs while still acknowledging when they screw up. In fact, I think acknowledging when they screw up is essential in that.

Comment

Respectfully disagree. Especially when dealing with college kids. I'm not saying Eaves should have come out and called the hit dirty, or Wittchow dirty, but I think he did have a responsibility to publicly say those types of hits aren't OK and Wittchow made a mistake.

He doesn't have to throw the kid under the bus, but he shouldn't be arguing the penalty or appealing the suspension, either. That sends a message.
                          You can have your kids' backs while still acknowledging when they screw up. In fact, I think acknowledging when they screw up is essential in that.
                          I respect that take on things.

Comment

I agree with your take. tDon doesn't argue every penalty against a Gopher. Seeler hit is clear example. There are lots of times a player has taken a stupid penalty, either because dangerous or a really unnecessary one at the wrong time, and it is clear he is upset with his player. A coaches job is to teach these kids what is acceptable and what isn't, not to say they are supported regardless of how stupid the act. That doesn't require throwing a kid under the bus, but it is essential for the maturation of the kids and the development of the team. Arguing with the refs over a clearly dangerous and stupid (costs team 5 min PP) play doesn't accomplish any of this. Instead it will perpetuate that type of play and cost the team and the player in the long run.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                              I agree that you don't rip into your player publicly, but you don't have to whine and pout when your player was penalized while clearly in the wrong. You just say and do nothing, then address with the player and team in the room.

I just can't get behind a coach who argues against penalizing clearly dangerous hits. Explains why we see these hits over and over under Eaves.

Comment

I see both arguments but don't take much umbrage with him publicly showing support. At the end of the day the only real message is the one being sent behind closed doors and we have no idea what he's saying there.

Comment

Working...
                                X