Minnesota Gophers Season Thread 2015-16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers Season Thread 2015-16

If you say the conference title means nothing I have to wonder.

It's not the WCHA we had come to know and love (attended my first Gophers game in '73 so I've had my share of time invested) but they're my team and to win the regular season title is still an accomplishment. This year it would be even more so given the team should not be expected to do so, UMi at the very least should be considered the favorite, PSU is not a pushover and even UW has improved.

Nobody extrapolate that to meaning more than it should. The conference is not nearly the toughest I get that - but you can't walk though it for the title and goddamit if this isn't my favorite game on ice.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
      ...but you can't walk though it for the title...
      Even Red's players understand that now...
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
        ...if this isn't my favorite game on ice.
        Haha...you compelled me to look that up. There are five sports played on ice: Broomball, Curling, Speed Skating, Figure Skating and Hockey. Clearly hockey has been my favorite too, but broomball comes in a close second though. I'll never forget the nights on the outdoor hockey rink at Arlington playground in St. Paul playing broomball with boots and shinpads. What a blast that was. Too bad there's not much outdoor ice around anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
          Haha...you compelled me to look that up. There are five sports played on ice: Broomball, Curling, Speed Skating, Figure Skating and Hockey. Clearly hockey has been my favorite too, but broomball comes in a close second though. I'll never forget the nights on the outdoor hockey rink at Arlington playground in St. Paul playing broomball with boots and shinpads. What a blast that was. Too bad there's not much outdoor ice around anymore.
          You left out bandy. It's like a hybrid between ice hockey and field hockey, played on a giant sheet of ice.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
            You left out bandy. It's like a hybrid between ice hockey and field hockey, played on a giant sheet of ice.
            Wow, first I've heard of it. Sounds faster than ice hockey and the goalie has no stick?? I'd love to take a shot at it. http://bringmethenews.com/2014/10/08...icy-minnesota/

Comment

Wow, first I've heard of it. Sounds faster than ice hockey and the goalie has no stick?? I'd love to take a shot at it. http://bringmethenews.com/2014/10/08...icy-minnesota/
              The Russians were HUGE into that, until they turned to hockey after WWII, due to the Olympics.

And figure skating is not a sport.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Just as girls high school hockey in Minnesota was beginning to get underway, there was a big debate as to which direction it would go: hockey or bandy. Of course hockey won out, and very few in Minnesota (or in the U.S. for that matter) play bandy today. But the sport is still popular for girls in the Scandinavian countries. Here in the Twin Cities I believe they still have a bandy rink set up at the Roseville Skating Center.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                  I was referring Gophers vs Wild...

Comment

First, there used to be some sort of Bandy league here. I was recruited to play one night decades ago in the championship game of the B or C division. (Wasn't much of a league, so adding players to have enough to play was fine.) Was played inside on hockey rink though because outside rinks were melting. Hard to get used to that little stick. It think we won, so I am undefeated in the game all-time.

Also, there used to be some alternative for girls where they had a straight stick with no blade and played with a thing like a large diameter puck with a hole in the middle, so one could put the stick in the hole and push it down the ice. (Wasn't actually intending innuendo when written, but be careful there, these were just girls...) Ringlets maybe?

(Can't wait to get back to reall hockey games...)

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                      Also, there used to be some alternative for girls where they had a straight stick with no blade and played with a thing like a large diameter puck with a hole in the middle, so one could put the stick in the hole and push it down the ice. (Wasn't actually intending innuendo when written, but be careful there, these were just girls...) Ringlets maybe?
                      You were close.
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qsSys5mkec

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                      (Can't wait to get back to reall hockey games...)
                      Still about two weeks away...

Comment

I only learned of it because I play pickup hockey with a few Russians, and they try to recruit guys who they think can handle the extra skating. I've received a few offers over the years, but it never really grabbed my interest - more equipment to buy and I already have enough with the sports I do play.

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                        You were close.
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qsSys5mkec

Still about two weeks away...
                        I thought ringettes completely died as a sport when girls started playing more hockey. The ringettes team for my age group always had the ice before my team did for practice times when I was a kid. The team switched to hockey when the state high school league started the girls hockey division.
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                          So is that where all broken hockey sticks go? To Ringette leagues?

Comment

I thought ringettes completely died as a sport when girls started playing more hockey. The ringettes team for my age group always had the ice before my team did for practice times when I was a kid. The team switched to hockey when the state high school league started the girls hockey division.
                            Yes, it did die here in Minnesota exactly as you say. I'm not sure how much they still play it in Canada and in Europe.

Comment

Back to hockey, Collins reported to have been one of two players cut from the World Junior team. I'm sure it's very disappointing for him, but I'm also sure the Gophers will welcome him back for added depth on D.

Comment

He was one of the last two cut, if that's what you mean.

Comment

Working...
                                X