Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers Season Thread 2015-16

Originally posted by Koho View Post
    So...................who's starting the off season thread?
    Pick me Pick me Pick me

Comment

That was a gutty f ckin' performance. I was really impressed with the way MN pursued the puck all night. High-tempo from start to finish. No way they can do that every game, but when/if they do it gives them a chance against top-tier teams.

Shot attempts were 81-67 in favor of Michigan, which would be about what I would have guessed. But what's surprising to me is that MI actually blocked more shots than the Gophers as well, 24-20. The difference was made up in the number of shots MI put wide.
      Not sure what to make of that exactly, but I'm ready to give the Gophers some credit for putting the Wolverines under pressure and obstructing lanes. Obviously that's not the entire story, but I think it was a big part of it.

At any rate, a good way to head into the break. Now we need to beat UConn in that first game of the Mariucci classic, then draw and beat Harvard. If we can do that, we'll be within spitting distance of the PWR bubble.
      Last edited by Stauber1; 12-13-2015, 01:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
        In some games this year he's been outstanding, the Gophers' No. 1 star.
        Add this one to his list of "some games". Wow. Michigan had lots of near misses, which on another night some of them wouldn't have missed, but there's no denying that Shierhorn came up HUGE on at least a half dozen prime Wolverines opportunities. Credit to the rest of team including the oft-maligned D, who did their part in reducing those prime Wolverines opportunities to a manageable number.

However a couple of criticisms are still warranted:
        a) We are still, all too often, way too passive in our own zone when at even strength, allowing the opponent to operate like they're on the power play and we're trying to kill one ... which leads to the mindset of having to be too defensive and not jumping up into the zone in quickly enough to have the edge in fighting for any loose pucks created by a more aggressive . The good news is, compared to Friday night, is that we were much better. Still, when in comes to defensive zone play, there's a lot of room for improvement.

b) Still need work on closing games out. Too many preventable icings in the last few minutes, which needlessly brought the faceoff back into our zone.
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Not sure what SS' ugh was about.

But I thought it was a strong performance by the Gophers. Not strong in the sense of peppering Nagl... with pucks. But strong in the sense of total defensive effort against an offensive team that clearly outmatched ours. We did what we needed to to win. We scored when we needed to. We shut them down when we needed to. This is still a soft team...but that was a gritty performance that I didn't think the guys were capable of.
          Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Dream No. 2 View Post
            What do you guys think of Schierhorn? I think he's been pretty mediocre this year for being the USHL goalie of the year. He has a knack for giving up late goals and on some goals he's just ridiculously out of position. I'm not a Goofer fan, I just watch a lot of games because they're on Big 14 To Go, but I'd say Schierhorn should be a lot better.
            He's fine. He's not going to be the stalwart goalie we're used to, but unlike previous goalies, I think he gives us a better chance to steal a game.

He's also a freshman. He's going to get better. And he's already been doing a great job.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
              And he's already been doing a great job.
              Not really, which is why I brought up the question. But props to Schierhorn, he had a great night last night and certainly wasn't the worst goaltender on the ice, for once.
              CCHA 4 LIFE

Comment

Not really, which is why I brought up the question. But props to Schierhorn, he had a great night last night and certainly wasn't the worst goaltender on the ice, for once.
                Guess I disagree with the sentiment. The worst you could say is that he's let in a modest number of poor goals (primarily against MI and SCSU). But he has had some very strong games and would be the MVP in a number of them. Also he's made an above average number diving and other outstanding saves. All in all, very solid for a guy a dozen games into his college career.
                Go Gophers!

Comment

b) Still need work on closing games out. Too many preventable icings in the last few minutes, which needlessly brought the faceoff back into our zone.
                  Feel like from the time they had a 2-0 lead, they often chipped it out of the zone when there was actually time to look for an opening or was even an open player. And when the goalie was pulled, this was magnified. Obviously, getting it out of the zone is the first priority, but there were a few times they had an open guy that could have led to an empty netter. Too often overly conservative play leads to giving up goals when an opponent pulls a goalie. Of course you never know how much is coaching and how much is players not wanting to be the one to make a mistake.

Comment

Add this one to his list of "some games". Wow. Michigan had lots of near misses, which on another night some of them wouldn't have missed, but there's no denying that Shierhorn came up HUGE on at least a half dozen prime Wolverines opportunities. Credit to the rest of team including the oft-maligned D, who did their part in reducing those prime Wolverines opportunities to a manageable number.

However a couple of criticisms are still warranted:
                    a) We are still, all too often, way too passive in our own zone when at even strength, allowing the opponent to operate like they're on the power play and we're trying to kill one ... which leads to the mindset of having to be too defensive and not jumping up into the zone in quickly enough to have the edge in fighting for any loose pucks created by a more aggressive . The good news is, compared to Friday night, is that we were much better. Still, when in comes to defensive zone play, there's a lot of room for improvement.

All good points and I couldn't agree more. Hockey is a game of puck luck sometimes and thankfully the Gophers had their share last night. That missed shot on an open net to tie it at 3 and give Connor his second hatty in so many nights was too crazy. The camera showed him shaking his head on the bench. And Schierhorn fortunately got a toe on that on-ice shot by Compher with what 20+ seconds left, but had he picked a 1 or 3 corner...he may have tied it. Overall, Schierhorn made some good saves. Definite cliffhanger game for me that got me yelling at my TV.

The second period by the Gophers was brutal with Mich. controlling play. The Gophers lost puck battle after puck battle while Mich circled the wagon for most of the period. They were fortunate to give up only one goal. Yeah, the Gophers lost their composure and hockey sense in the final minutes with the multiple icings...not good. But good to see Vinny get the GWG only 12 sec. after Mich scored, maybe that will build his confidence going forward. Cammy and C. Reilly need a dose of the same.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                      Definite cliffhanger game for me that got me yelling at my TV.
                      Ha, good to hear I'm not the only one who does that. After many of the games my wife (who usually doesn't watch and stays upstairs) will say, "I heard you yelling down there."

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                      But good to see Vinny get the GWG only 12 sec. after Mich scored, maybe that will build his confidence going forward. Cammy and C. Reilly need a dose of the same.
                      Yeah, Cammy and Reilly have struggled in most games during the first half, as had Vinny until his huge momentum-changer last night. A good memory and motivator for him to take into the break. He didn't have much more than the width of a puck to shoot at, but he somehow hit it, a real sniper shot if there ever was one.

And speaking of last night only, I thought Bristedt had a bit of an off-game. He's been our most dynamic forward in most of the games this season, but last night he didn't generate much offensively, at least that I noticed. Not that he played poorly, but he didn't stand out as much as he has in most games.

Anyway, it's good to know that we can find a way to steal a game against what looks to be the best team in the league, despite some of our most talented players not playing up to their full potential. And I say that while knowing full well that even the best players are not going to perform at their highest level in every game. But to have a successful second half we'll need more of them playing at or close to their potential more consistently than what we've seen thus far.
                      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                        Not sure what SS' ugh was about.
                        You didn't watch Friday night?

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                          You didn't watch Friday night?
                          Gotcha.
                          Go Gophers!

Comment

I had mentioned a week or so ago sheerhorn and him being way out of position too many times for easy tap in goals. I do think he is a solid goalie though, i'm just not quite sure if he can handle big games against great teams,yet. Seems to get rattled and starts "flailing" around the goal crease, other team taps in puck on a wide open goal. I get the whole D being not Gopher-like this year, but still stay in position.

Comment

For those of you who don't venture into the Cafe, Glen Sonmor passed away this morning.
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                For those of you who don't venture into the Cafe, Glen Sonmor passed away this morning.
                                Sad news. I really appreciated his enduring passion for Gopher hockey. One of the great old timers who could also tell some crazy stories about players on the North Stars. RIP Coach.

Comment

Working...
                                X