Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers Season Thread 2015-16

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Your love for Cammy is not shared by everyone. I don't find him a serious threat to anything anywhere.
    I understand. I don't 'love' him. But I see him as a very specialized tool...setting up goals. If you don't use him for that, might as well bench him.
    Go Gophers!

Comment

Keith Ballard announced his retirement from a 10-year, 604-game NHL career yesterday, almost exactly a year since he sustained his fifth concussion, a headfirst collision with the top of the boards that left him convulsing with three fractures in his face. Best wishes sir and thanks for all the good memories, you're a true warrior and champion of the sport of hockey.

Comment

That's a shame Ballard's career had to end that way. I wish him the best.

A pickup hockey buddy of mine lives a few doors down from him in [undisclosed suburb], and says Keith has been a really good neighbor since he moved there a few years ago, that he's a good guy on the few occasions they've spoken, but he is a bit reclusive. I think it's because he sees his neighbors with young children loading adult gear bags into their cars to play in their own games and he doesn't want to get harassed and asked to drop in on said games.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

It's pretty sad that both Ballard and Leopold are now retired. Two of the great D's in Minnesota Gopher history, to be sure. Leopold spoke at the last Blue Line Club luncheon about a week ago, and said that although he hasn't made an official announcement he hasn't received any calls from other teams. But he's very happy what he's doing; together with his wife they're running their own business.

Best of luck to both of them!
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

What do you guys think of Schierhorn? I think he's been pretty mediocre this year for being the USHL goalie of the year. He has a knack for giving up late goals and on some goals he's just ridiculously out of position. I'm not a Goofer fan, I just watch a lot of games because they're on Big 14 To Go, but I'd say Schierhorn should be a lot better.
            CCHA 4 LIFE

Comment

.915 SV% isn't great, but he is a Fr. playing in front of a very leaky defense.

I met Ballard twice at golf outings. Didn't get to talk to him much, but he seemed very humble and unassuming both times. Good luck to him post-NHL.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Dream No. 2 View Post
                What do you guys think of Schierhorn? I think he's been pretty mediocre this year for being the USHL goalie of the year. He has a knack for giving up late goals and on some goals he's just ridiculously out of position. I'm not a Goofer fan, I just watch a lot of games because they're on Big 14 To Go, but I'd say Schierhorn should be a lot better.
                I agree. Should have 8 shutouts regardless of D play in front of him.

Comment

So...................who's starting the off season thread?

Comment

This is the worst defensive team Lucia's ever had. And that's saying something.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                      This is the worst defensive team Lucia's ever had. And that's saying something.
                      Amazing that it was tied at 2-2 at the half-way point. Then Michigan decided to get serious and won the second half 6-1.

Comment

The D was a little shaky for the first few minutes last night. But the main issue for the Gophers was poor goaltending. Schierhorn was clearly off his game and was rightly pulled after letting in 5. He allowed a funky 5 hole on a routine save, and failed to guard the left and right posts on Nieve and Connor's goals (#4-5) for Mich. Then Lehr came in and also let in a routine on ice shot by Shuart as a 5 hole for G6. By that time the Gophers were deflated and it was game over. Hopefully we'll see a better game in front and between the pipes tonight.
                        Last edited by SteveO; 12-12-2015, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                          The D was a little shaky for the first few minutes last night. But the main issue for the Gophers was poor goaltending. Schierhorn was clearly off his game and was rightly pulled after letting in 5. He allowed a funky 5 hole on a routine save, and failed to guard the left and right posts on Nieve and Connor's goals (#4-5) for Mich. Then Lehr came in and also let in a routine on ice shot by Shuart as a 5 hole for G6. By that time the Gophers were deflated and it was game over. Hopefully we'll see a better game in front and between the pipes tonight.
                          My (minor) optimistic side also saw it the same way. Frustrating when playing a game where the opponent is supposed to have the suspect goaltending. Seemed like good scoring chances were similar, but UMi has better finishers, and that combined with Shierhorn's worst night doomed them. I don't see UMi being that much better than MN, and solid goaltending for MN can tip any game to a win, as MN is likely to get their own chances. And unfortunately, I don't thin Lehr has what it takes, so the pressure is on Shierhorn. Hopefully he can come out and play with more confidence tonight. Hopefully the rest of the team will too. For stretches, MN st back and reacted, seeming to be more concerned about containing Mi than trying to beat them. When they applied pressure and took away time and space, they did fine. Their margin for error is just very fine.
                          Last edited by Koho; 12-12-2015, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Pathetic

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                              My (minor) optimistic side also saw it the same way. Frustrating when playing a game where the opponent is supposed to have the suspect goaltending. Seemed like good scoring chances were similar, but UMi has better finishers, and that combined with Shierhorn's worst night doomed them. I don't see UMi being that much better than MN, and solid goaltending for MN can tip any game to a win, as MN is likely to get their own chances. And unfortunately, I don't thin Lehr has what it takes, so the pressure is on Shierhorn. Hopefully he can come out and play with more confidence tonight. Hopefully the rest of the team will too. For stretches, MN st back and reacted, seeming to be more concerned about containing Mi than trying to beat them. When they applied pressure and took away time and space, they did fine. Their margin for error is just very fine.
                              Yeah, I thought the Gophers offensive effort was pretty good and with better play in net the game could have been very close. Sheehy had a wide open net at 2-2 and hit the post. Lehr didn't look steady to me either and seemed uncomfortable in net. So Schierhorn has got to improve. He's had rebound control issues. Connor's second goal was a rebound kick by Schierhorn directly to his stick. I think that was the fifth goal and then he was pulled. Unfortunately, Schierhorn is not Adam Wilcox, at least at this point in his career.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                                Unfortunately, Schierhorn is not Adam Wilcox, at least at this point in his career.
                                He strikes me as being very much a "hot or cold" type of goaltender. He's capable of making the miraculous save but just as capable of letting softies go in. He will often move around too much and get himself out of position, which sometimes makes what should be a routine save a very difficult one.

In some games this year he's been outstanding, the Gophers' No. 1 star. But as was demonstrated last night consistency is not his forte.

Comment

Working...
                                X