Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers Season Thread 2015-16

Originally posted by D2D View Post
    By my count the Bristdedt/Kloos/Sheehy line had 9 points (4G + 5A) in Saturday's 5-4 overtime win, so that's pretty decent chemistry, no?
    If I'm not mistaken, that was the opening lineup on Friday, but Sat. I noticed he was shuttled in a few times then later in the game he dropped back down. Bristedt did have an assist on Brodzinski's PPG on Sat. on the special teams unit, but he was with Fasching and Novak for his winning goal in OT. He didn't appear to me to be as prominent when he was playing up and only had 2 pts. on the weekend. With Bristedt's current run, I'd personally like to see him lead with his speed and stick handling skills to balance out that second line with Fasching and Novak. Not sure if coach Lucia reads USCHO though. Thanks D2D.

Comment

tDon gets all his info from this forum.

tDon - Keep Bristedt with Novak and Fasching, that line has chemistry and is our best.

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
        tDon - Keep Bristedt with Novak and Fasching, that line has chemistry and is our best.
        On the post-game radio show following Saturday's game they really gushed over this line and all the points they put up. I did keep the line chart and they're actually listed 2nd, below Kloos centering Reilly and Sheehy. Lettieri centering Gates and Cammarata is 3rd and Romanko centering Michaelson and Ryan Reilly was 4th.

P.S. I also kept the line chart from the Nov.27th game vs. SCSU and the first three lines were the same. The 4th was too except Ramsey was on right wing instead of Ryan Reilly.
        Last edited by D2D; 12-07-2015, 07:56 PM.
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
          My thoughts are that this Gopher team is 2 lines deep and that's about it.

When the top 2 are out, we move the puck and make plays, when they are not it gets ugly.

Have no clue why #6 even plays, he's like a traffic cone out there that gets lost in his own zone.

I like Novak, Sheehy and even Gates, they should be solid college hockey players.

Lettieri is invisible.
          I think they could be a 3 line team. The pieces are there to put together a very solid 3rd/4th "checking" type line, but then the problem is you have another line that you are basically trying to hide all game.
          To me, Lettieri is a solid 4th line player. Michaelson () is a solid 4th line player. Romanko and/or Ramsey would fit in well with those two. But then you've got half a handful of "finesse" type guys who aren't showing a whole lot of finesse, nor are they showing a predilection toward hard-nosed, responsible 2-way hockey.

I completely agree with your account of Collins' play so far this year. I've become pretty fed up with both him and C. Reilly. There have been plenty of mistakes to go around team wide, but those two have been routinely on the wrong side of the boner, so to speak.

And I'd like to see Cammarata moved up with Sheehy and Kloose.

Just throwing around my couple pennies, too.

Comment

I have to agree that Ryan Collins could use a frequent iteration of D fundamentals, but he apparently does have some fans of his style of play among the coaching staff of the U.S World Juniors of which he was a member last year. He is one of five Minnesota natives among 29 players that have been invited this week to the U.S. Junior National Team camp. The roster will be cut to 23 players after camps in Boston (Dec. 14-18) and Finland (Dec. 19-24) for the World Junior Championships Dec. 26-Jan. 5 in Helsinki.

Congrats to Tyler Sheehy named the Big Ten First Star of the Week for his 3 goals and assist in the Gophers' weekend sweep of Ohio State.

Comment

Ryan Collins generates interest because he's a skating tree and has a lot of upside due to his size. He's just not anywhere close to being a good d-man yet.
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Anyone else notice how Nick Seeler was playing on Saturday after coming back from his one game suspension? Very cautious - almost passive - which was a total departure from his super-aggressive, "hit anything that moves" style of play in all the games up until drawing the major in the second game against St. Cloud. I can understand him exercising some restraint, but to me he may have gone too far in NOT being physical when the opportunities were there. Hopefully this coming weekend he finds that middle ground: "hit guys hard, but keep it legal".
                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                  Ryan Collins generates interest because he's a skating tree and has a lot of upside due to his size. He's just not anywhere close to being a good d-man yet.
                  Yeah I agree with you, size and reach are his strong points which is probably why the Blue Jackets picked him up in the second round. With this in mind, my experience in skating with guys that have similar strengths, reliability and positioning as a shutdown D are also probably in the NHL thought process of his development. Seems to me the Gophers run both a low zone collapse and a 2-3 D system depending a bit on the opponent's lineup, and Collins has made some bad positioning mistakes in both systems.

Comment

Anyone else notice how Nick Seeler was playing on Saturday after coming back from his one game suspension? Very cautious - almost passive - which was a total departure from his super-aggressive, "hit anything that moves" style of play in all the games up until drawing the major in the second game against St. Cloud. I can understand him exercising some restraint, but to me he may have gone too far in NOT being physical when the opportunities were there. Hopefully this coming weekend he finds that middle ground: "hit guys hard, but keep it legal".
                    Yeah I noticed that too. I think he had "that talk" in the office.

Comment

I'm guessing that will loosen up with every passing series. It makes sense though. After a speeding ticket you tend to drive slower. Hell, after even seeing a speed trap you drive slower. But after a while, you revert back to what's natural. Maybe with a slight correction to not cross the line again. So instead of driving 80 in the 60, you're now driving 65-70. If that makes sense
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I'm beginning to wonder if we should load talent on two lines this year. Normally we can expect three scoring lines. But maybe we need the 3rd to focus on grinding and controlling play vs. putting the puck in the net. We may be just too short of talent for 3 scoring lines. Tough part of that is that to focus talent on the top two lines, we may need to load up lines 3 and 4 with freshmen...and that probably won't work either.
                        Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                          I'm beginning to wonder if we should load talent on two lines this year. Normally we can expect three scoring lines. But maybe we need the 3rd to focus on grinding and controlling play vs. putting the puck in the net. We may be just too short of talent for 3 scoring lines. Tough part of that is that to focus talent on the top two lines, we may need to load up lines 3 and 4 with freshmen...and that probably won't work either.
                          The discussion is likely moot, as Lucia has always shown a preference to try to build balanced teams come hell or high water. But having said that, I'm not sure that stacking the top 2 lines means extra freshman on the 3rd and 4th. To me, both Novak and Sheehy look like they belong in the top 6.

To me, the issue is you have guys like C. Relliy and Cammarata who don't at all fit the "grinder" role and also aren't making convincing cases for being among the top-6 forwards. It seems to me Cammarata has been making some strides in terms of elevating and adding to his game (he's just been on a line all year where it isn't translating to results) and so I would prefer him to C. Reilly on one of those top 2 lines.

Ultimately, though, I think the play of the d-corp is the biggest hurdle. Some of the forwards are not pulling their weight on the defensive side of the puck so I don't mean to say all the issues reside with the defense. But when it comes to puck movement, breaking out, gaining zones and puck possession, the D seem to be the weakest link.

Comment

Some thoughts: One thing that traditionally galvanizes the attention of every sports fan in every sport is the knock down bedlam and chaos of a raucous celebration after a terrific victory. I recall someone recently, whom I think was not a Gopher fan, posted about how ecstatic the Gophers celebration was after Leon Bristedt wacked that winning goal past Christian Frey in OT thus beating Ohio State on Sat. and completing a weekend sweep.

One reason I like to watch celebrations like that is it communicates something about the energy and chemistry of the "team" not the "hero". That wild celebration at the end of OT caught my attention too. This seasons Gopher team impresses me as playing with more of a commitment and passion as a "team" than last season, despite their poorer W/L record. Teams that lack the super stars, but learn to play and improve as a "team" typically surprise people with their level of success.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                              The discussion is likely moot, as Lucia has always shown a preference to try to build balanced teams come hell or high water. But having said that, I'm not sure that stacking the top 2 lines means extra freshman on the 3rd and 4th. To me, both Novak and Sheehy look like they belong in the top 6.

To me, the issue is you have guys like C. Relliy and Cammarata who don't at all fit the "grinder" role and also aren't making convincing cases for being among the top-6 forwards. It seems to me Cammarata has been making some strides in terms of elevating and adding to his game (he's just been on a line all year where it isn't translating to results) and so I would prefer him to C. Reilly on one of those top 2 lines.

Ultimately, though, I think the play of the d-corp is the biggest hurdle. Some of the forwards are not pulling their weight on the defensive side of the puck so I don't mean to say all the issues reside with the defense. But when it comes to puck movement, breaking out, gaining zones and puck possession, the D seem to be the weakest link.
                              I think C Reilly and Cammy are the other 2 top forwards. The thing about Cammy is that due to his passing ability...he's a serious threat any time he's in the offense zone. He is not a grinder...and if he's on the third line he might as well be on the forth or even the bench. So I think if you could put Bristedt, Kloos, Cammy on a line...you'd have the ultimate combo. But I don't know the shambles that leaves the rest of the team.

I should be sold on the freshmen by now (esp after Sheehy's player of the week)...but I'm still iffy about their play. Need to give them ice time though and develop them. We're likely not going far this year...do what you need to for next year.
                              Go Gophers!

Comment

Your love for Cammy is not shared by everyone. I don't find him a serious threat to anything anywhere.
                                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Working...
                                X