Minnesota Gophers Season Thread 2015-16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers Season Thread 2015-16

Big thing is we lost some really good D and they are replaced by guys that are young and some are underperforming or just aren't that good. Lost a few good penalty killers on forward as well. Our D are making it look easy for opposing PP's right now by leaving guys wide open in front of the net.

Comment

The PK was actually pretty good (high 80s%) until they ran into the St Cloud PP buzzsaw that tallied 6 PPGs on the weekend. Can't take 23 PIMs in any game and especially against the #3 PP unit at SCSU cranking at near 30% and expect to win. The boys are hearing the word, "discipline" a lot in practice this week.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
        The boys are hearing the word, "discipline" a lot in practice this week.
        I really liked the way SCSU moved the puck around on their power play. Their passes were often made with dizzying speed, and nearly all were right on the tape...cross ice in many cases when the Gophers left holes or were situated back too far. This often got the penalty killers chasing and forgetting about the guy down low on the weak side, for which they paid dearly. Thus the emphasis on "discipline" in practice this week, I suppose. Fortunately, they likely won't face too many power plays like St. Cloud's, and maybe they can learn a lot from it, not just when killing penalties but when they get the PP opportunity.
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
          I really liked the way SCSU moved the puck around on their power play. Their passes were often made with dizzying speed, and nearly all were right on the tape...cross ice in many cases when the Gophers left holes or were situated back too far. This often got the penalty killers chasing and forgetting about the guy down low on the weak side, for which they paid dearly. Thus the emphasis on "discipline" in practice this week, I suppose. Fortunately, they likely won't face too many power plays like St. Cloud's, and maybe they can learn a lot from it, not just when killing penalties but when they get the PP opportunity.
          Good analysis, and you're exactly right. SCSU's PP exploited the low slot on some very poor coverage by the Gophers.

Comment

I really liked the way SCSU moved the puck around on their power play. Their passes were often made with dizzying speed, and nearly all were right on the tape...cross ice in many cases when the Gophers left holes or were situated back too far. This often got the penalty killers chasing and forgetting about the guy down low on the weak side, for which they paid dearly.

I made a comment about this on GPL during the game. It was really a thing of beauty to watch. It just sucks that it was against us.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I don't disagree with you, SCSU does have a fantastic powerplay. They also had some fortunate passes that made it through a lot of bodies/sticks/skates and ended up right on the tape IMO. Again, not trying to take away from them, but a good PP takes some good fortune as well and I think they got it on several occasions, at least from where I was watching.
              "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
                I don't disagree with you, SCSU does have a fantastic powerplay. They also had some fortunate passes that made it through a lot of bodies/sticks/skates and ended up right on the tape IMO. Again, not trying to take away from them, but a good PP takes some good fortune as well and I think they got it on several occasions, at least from where I was watching.
                I noticed that too, but part of the reason I think was that the passes were so hard and so quick and accurate that it made it difficult for our penalty killers to anticipate and adjust in time to intercept or even get a stick on the puck. And it seemed like the longer St. Cloud was able to keep it in the zone the more this became true, as our guys couldn't change units. They then would be so worn down that they couldn't react like they normally would.
                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I noticed that too, but part of the reason I think was that the passes were so hard and so quick and accurate that it made it difficult for our penalty killers to anticipate and adjust in time to intercept or even get a stick on the puck. And it seemed like the longer St. Cloud was able to keep it in the zone the more this became true, as our guys couldn't change units. They then would be so worn down that they couldn't react like they normally would.
                  Those are also fair points.
                  "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

I'll probably be seeing the Lucias around Christmas time. Any messages you want me to pass along? Play Sadek more?

Comment

Originally posted by ShotFromThePoint View Post
                      I'll probably be seeing the Lucias around Christmas time. Any messages you want me to pass along? Play Sadek more?
                      I tried to come up with something clever, but I couldn't. Just wish him happy holidays.
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

What I said before...switch C Reilly and Cammy.
                        Go Gophers!

Comment

Are you John Hill?

Sorry....that wasn't nice and I encourage myself to be nicer.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                          And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                          Twenty red lights in his honor
                          Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Do what Coach Frost does. Learn from him.
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                              Do what Coach Frost does. Learn from him.
                              Skate more girls, play team defense and actually attack the opponents' nets with hardnosed play?
                              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by Hammy View Post
                                I can assure you that the interest among young kids is very good. I'd point out all the top young kids they have down there at camps throughout the summer (at youth levels as well as bantam) as one example. You won't see the bulk of those top kids camping it at any other D1 school in the state.
                                I don't think there's much correlation between what camps kids go to and where they would want to play hockey. I always went to UND camp growing up but I never was interested in going to UND.

Over the years I've sometimes had an extra to sell, and have gotten to know how the game is played.
                                Tips:
                                > If you are a buyer scope out the supply/demand situation before committing to anything.
                                > Look for actual ticket holders, not scalpers. If they approach you ignore them until you understand the market situation.
                                > When you're ready to buy do not agree to pay what the seller first asks. Make an offer below that amount. If they say no they will often agree to it as you turn and walk away.
                                > If you see there are lots of sellers in relation to buyers it almost always pays to wait until just before game time. Oftentimes sellers who are going to the game themselves will almost give them away rather than miss the first part of the game.
                                > Single tickets are always priced well below pairs. If you're with someone consider buying two singles for games where the crowd appears light. In all likelihood you'll be able to sit together anyway.
                                Ha good to know, I'm the worst ticket buyer. I went to a game at CC a couple weeks ago and bought a pair of tickets for $20, was plenty satisfied with the price. Looking at the ticket when I got home, I think the face value was $9.... was really surprised at how many people were still at the games given how terrible CC is and how bad that week went for them against UMD..

I did get a bunch of tickets on the glass at Mariucci last year for like $45/ticket. That never happens anywhere else
                                I wanna go fast!

Comment

Working...
                                X