BGSU Falcons 2015-16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BGSU Falcons 2015-16

So I guess the off-season is over and its game week.

1) I'm interested in anyone who went to the Toronto game insights on the Frosh forwards and D. I noticed Pears and Murphy were scratches too.

2) What do we know about OSU. I see they were picked 5th in the B1G and have 10 Frosh. Seem like we should get the sweep here and get this year off to a fast start. Opinions??

Re: BGSU Falcons 2015-16

Ohio state will go as far as the goalies will take them. The early schedule is very tough with each of the first 3 weekends they are playing ranked teams plus a trip to Omaha and Minnesota in late November and Early December. We will find out real quick with that schedule. Greco and Schilkey are two forwards to watch along with a Sophomore in Matt Weiss. On Defense Drew Brevig is pretty solid along with Craig Dalrymple should make up the top pair. After that it is a crap shoot with 5 freshman or So making up the rest of the Defenseman. In goal you will probably see both Tompkins and Frey although Frey is the better of the two IMO. I dont think they will finish 5th though in the Big probably 4th behind Michigan Minnesota and State.
    Last edited by klbaum1077; 10-05-2015, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bravohankins View Post
      1) I'm interested in anyone who went to the Toronto game insights on the Frosh forwards and D. I noticed Pears and Murphy were scratches too.
      Murphy was an injured scratch and as far as I know is still day-to-day. According to Berge, he was healthy enough to play, but it wasn't worth risking making his injury worse. Baylis played as advertised, I'm exited to see him contribute this year. A Hawkins/Baylis/M. Pohlkamp line might just be the top scoring line in the conference. Chris Pohlkamp was Friedman's pairing, and the two played well together. None of the other freshman really stood out to me, but they still played solid. McLain was the only forward in my opinion who looked bad. He had several opportunities to score from good passes from teammates, but could never get his stick on the puck. There were several lapses on defense that led to UT goals, but considering how well our dmen played last year, I'm not concerned about it.
      BGSU Class of 2017

Comment

Originally posted by Critical Thinker View Post
        A Hawkins/Baylis/M. Pohlkamp line might just be the top scoring line in the conference.
        I'd be surprised if coach broke up Dufour-Mercier-Pohlkamp, or Cooper-Hawkins. But lines being what they are, I could be wrong. Who knows what'll happen when Murphy and Baylis are both available.
        Bowling Green St. Univ. '88 • SUNY Potsdam '79

Comment

'97 D Jake Dalton (Wichita Falls Wildcats) commits for 2017-2018.
          Height: 6-0
          Weight: 175
          Hometown: Saginaw, MI

"Seven games into the 2015-16 season, Dalton has already established himself as a force on the blue line. He has played in every game so far and leads all Wildcats defensemen with 5 points."

Comment

http://www.griffinshockey.com/news/r...rticle_id=3189

Ralfs was released from Grand Rapids. Not sure what his tryout deal was, but he was not assigned to Toledo.

Looks like Valleau has stuck with the Rockford AHL club, for now anyway, as he was not listed in the guys that they sent down to Indy(ECHL).

Dan DeSalvo was released by the AHL's Chicago Wolves and has apparently ended up in Tulsa Oilers ECHL camp according to his Twitter account. Tulsa is the affiliate of Manitoba in the AHL.
            Last edited by bravohankins; 10-05-2015, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bravohankins View Post
              http://www.griffinshockey.com/news/r...rticle_id=3189

Ralfs was released from Grand Rapids. Not sure what his tryout deal was, but he was not assigned to Toledo.

Looks like Valleau has stuck with the Rockford AHL club, for now anyway, as he was not listed in the guys that they sent down to Indy(ECHL).
              Not sure what kind of deal Dan DeSalvo had with the Chicago Wolves, but he's moved on to the Tulsa Oilers (ECHL).

Comment

Good luck against the Bucks.

GFM
                Geof F. Morris
                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by Critical Thinker View Post
                  Murphy was an injured scratch and as far as I know is still day-to-day. According to Berge, he was healthy enough to play, but it wasn't worth risking making his injury worse. Baylis played as advertised, I'm exited to see him contribute this year. A Hawkins/Baylis/M. Pohlkamp line might just be the top scoring line in the conference. Chris Pohlkamp was Friedman's pairing, and the two played well together. None of the other freshman really stood out to me, but they still played solid. McLain was the only forward in my opinion who looked bad. He had several opportunities to score from good passes from teammates, but could never get his stick on the puck. There were several lapses on defense that led to UT goals, but considering how well our dmen played last year, I'm not concerned about it.
                  Three freshman had points in the game so, yeah, a few of them stood out. The first goal was scored by Hawkins from Friedman and Baylis. The second goal was by Schilling from Bednard and Mingo.

Ferrari was on the PP and made a Freshman mistake making a cross ice pass along the blue line with a defender close by. The defender nearly intercepted the pass for a break away but, fortunately, the puck caromed off his stick and out of harms way. Other than that, I thought he played well.

How bad did McClain really look? He was in the right place at the right time and had a multitude of opportunities. If he keeps playing like that, things will start clicking and his opportunities will start turning into goals. Sometimes the puck just doesn't do what you want it to do in a game. Personally, I expect McClain to have a good year.

Comment

oh noes!
                    K. Gordon is reporting that Matthew Ferrari has left the program.
                    that leaves the team with only 7 D.

Comment

When I watched the archive of the Toronto game he seemed to play well.........

However, 17 is really young to come in and play college hockey. You just don't see that much anymore and if he is just turning 18 this week he is younger than even the average regular incoming Freshman at the University, most of which would have been 18 for a while now.

Assume he goes back to his OJHL team?? Can't imagine he would go OHL if NCAA D1 was too much for him.

As far as mid-season help the only one of the current commits that to me would make sense would be Alec Rauhauser. He has 2 years of USHL experience and is a '95 birth year. He's a big guy too 6'3" 210lbs.
                      All the other commits are basically 17-18 year old's same as Ferrari.

Only other thing would be to find an older Canadian Provincial Junior guy that could come in after Fall semester.........
                      Last edited by bravohankins; 10-07-2015, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by blackswampboy View Post
                        oh noes!
                        K. Gordon is reporting that Matthew Ferrari has left the program.
                        that leaves the team with only 7 D.
                        Anyone know if he was drafted by an OHL team?

Comment

http://www.bgsuhockey.com/2015/10/fe...alcon-program/

We've got the full story here with quotes from Bergeron.
                          Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

Anyone know if he was drafted by an OHL team?
                            He was 2013 OHL eligible and according to their list he was not taken.

Comment

If we bring one in mid-season it will only be because we are in desperate need due to injury or otherwise. If it is someone who has already committed we/he would have to be willing to burn half of their first college season to do so. In the past we have been known to bring someone up from the club team if they have one that is fairly decent.

Comment

Working...
                              X