Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2015 UMD Season Thread

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
    I'm beginning to think the women should handle this like the NHL handles the Olympics, shut down for two weeks and have the international thing then get back to it.
    Individual teams try to essentially do this, but the problem is that the Olympics are once every four years, while the "international thing(s)" impacting the women's college game occur multiple times every year. Four Nations, Nations Cup, U-18 Worlds, the odd national team camp here and there, plus the actual Olympics with more impact than the NHL teams have to deal with -- there's a limit to how much shutting down the college teams can do.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
      Individual teams try to essentially do this, but the problem is that the Olympics are once every four years, while the "international thing(s)" impacting the women's college game occur multiple times every year. Four Nations, Nations Cup, U-18 Worlds, the odd national team camp here and there, plus the actual Olympics with more impact than the NHL teams have to deal with -- there's a limit to how much shutting down the college teams can do.
      Is it crazy to think that sometime soon there won't be a need to use NCAA players for these events that take place during the college season? With the NWHL off and running, hopefully it's realistic to imagine that the international scene could put on a top-quality tournament without pilfering the best few players from top college programs.

As usual, probably more of an on something or onto something kinda thing...
      Last edited by charlieconway; 01-10-2016, 02:05 PM.
      Ducks Fly Together

Comment

I noticed Grapp got the start today instead of Rooney. Although stats don't always tell the whole story they would lead one to believe that she earned it by only allowing 1 goal on 38 shots on Friday while Rooney allowed 4 on only 13 shots before she got the hook.

Comment

Understood but maybe they could lean on the national programs to limit the interruptions to 1 two week period. I doubt they would ever refuse to release the players so they would have to find something.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
            Understood but maybe they could lean on the national programs to limit the interruptions to 1 two week period.
            The teams have little if any leverage with national programs. I've come to the conclusion over the years that many associated with the national programs care little about any other agenda but their own, and they don't care how often the players get caught in the middle. The national programs should be serving the players, but they don't seem to see it that way. People likely get overly impressed by their own titles.
            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

The teams have little if any leverage with national programs. I've come to the conclusion over the years that many associated with the national programs care little about any other agenda but their own, and they don't care how often the players get caught in the middle. The national programs should be serving the players, but they don't seem to see it that way. People likely get overly impressed by their own titles.
              Gee, how I wish I could say I was surprised! Well, I have always said hockey really should be played in summer when people would love to go into cold buildings. Maybe thats the answer NCAA hockey starting in May and the national Championships on Thanksgiving weekend!

Comment

Seems to me......

Season before last to stream a UMD game was $8.
                Last season was $14.95 for a month.
                Now it is $14.95 for a day from NCHC. Can't even go back the next day and watch it or check out highlights.

SCSU and BSU with StretchInternet it seems when you pay $9.95 for a game you can go back later and still have access.

Hey UMD admin, it's not that great a setup!!

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                  Seems to me......

Now it is $14.95 for a day from NCHC. Can't even go back the next day and watch it or check out highlights.

SCSU and BSU with StretchInternet it seems when you pay $9.95 for a game you can go back later and still have access.

12 greenbacks to get in the door at AMSOIL. Highest in the WCHA that I'm aware of.
                  Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                    Seems to me......

Some, like OSU I believe, are still between $9.95 and 14.95 for a weekend (some are $14.95 for a month) allowing you to take in a 2 game weekend series but for some reason UMD is now charging $14.95 per game! I wasn't going to be able to catch the first period in yesterday's game so between the 1st and 2nd I thought I'd recheck the price to tune in to make sure I had remembered it correctly from a week or two ago as being $14.95...thinking that I musn't be remembering it correctly.

But that's what it was and is. But it's worse than that at the moment up here...add almost 40% for the exchange rate and it was a whopping C$21. For a game whose outcome I didn't have much doubt about that was already 33% done the decision to take a pass was easy. I had even checked to see what the price for a ticket to the game was and like the Brookster noted it's $12 ($2 Amsoil fee included). So, notwithstanding the cost of parking, it's more expensive to watch it online than it is to attend in person.

Maybe they are trying to build a fund in anticipation of a possible payout down the road to Miller and her friends. Haha.
                    But, at least with this package, it appears that they are pricing themselves out of the market.

In fairness to UMD, the cost of the packages at the beginning of this season was more intelligent and reasonable than it had been for a few years. They finally separated the men's and women's games in the packages that they were offering. For a number of years they were lumped together and priced accordingly even if the customer wasn't interested in either the men's or the women's games...you were forced to pay the one package price for both even though you were only interested in one.
                    Last edited by Blackbeard; 02-14-2016, 03:02 PM.

Comment

UMD 5 - BSU 1.

I knew it!

The 'Dogs have been playing possum all season and lulling their opponents into a mega false sense of security just waiting for the most opportune moment to go for the jugular!

What a brilliant strategy!

And with everyone back on their heels in shock...it's onward to victory!

http://www.umdbulldogs.com/news/2016...x?path=whockey
                      Last edited by Blackbeard; 02-26-2016, 08:51 PM.

Comment

UMD 2 - BSU 1 Fnal in OT.

The PP (Possum Play) is working to perfection.

Next.

Go 'Dogs!

http://www.umdbulldogs.com/news/2016...x?path=whockey
                        Last edited by Blackbeard; 02-27-2016, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Maybe, just maybe, Duluth has a coach. Glad to see these kids have some success. They have been close at times and at last they pulled it together. Great bunch. I DO feel Bemidji's disappointment though. Go Dogs!

Comment

Originally posted by Toothlessinduluth View Post
                            Maybe, just maybe, Duluth has a coach. Glad to see these kids have some success. They have been close at times and at last they pulled it together. Great bunch. I DO feel Bemidji's disappointment though. Go Dogs!
                            I really felt the team would do a lot better this year than they did. The talent is there. Yes, you got an upgrade behind the bench, I expect the dogs to be back fighting to be top dog soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Toothlessinduluth View Post
                              Maybe, just maybe, Duluth has a coach.
                              Given the seasons these two teams have had, notwithstanding the "close but no cigar" games that UMD has been involved in this season, the 5-1 win on Friday would certainly lend itself to the thinking that BSU was outcoached on that day. Which result could only put fuel in UMD's tank for the second game on Saturday which I'm sure came in handy.

Now the question is will the 'Dogs be able to perform the role of the spoiler as so many thought BSU might be able to do?

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                                Now the question is will the 'Dogs be able to perform the role of the spoiler as so many thought BSU might be able to do?
                                Shut down #19 and find a way to pop a couple past #30 and then anything's possible in a one game playoff.
                                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X