Ohio State @ Lindenwood 10/2 - 10/3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio State @ Lindenwood 10/2 - 10/3

It is finally here! Hockey season has arrived. The Buckeyes embark on their first season under new head coach Jenny Potter. Coach Potter and the team have some lofty goals this season and it all starts in suburban St. Louis next weekend. Lindenwood will have the advantage of having already played two games, whereas this will be Ohio State's opening series. Lindenwood played UMD to a 4-3 OT game yesterday before losing to the Bulldogs today by a final score of 4-1. I am sure Lindenwood has some expectations themselves so the Buckeyes will need to bring it next weekend. Those who know me know I do not predict sweeps, but I do expect Ohio State to be improved this season. They have a number of players back and had a nice recruiting class. Lindenwood fans, what was your takeaway from the series with UMD this weekend and what can we expect from the Lions next weekend? Mrs. 86 and I are making the road trip down there and are really looking forward to it!

Re: Ohio State @ Lindenwood 10/2 - 10/3

Ohio State took game one tonight by a final score of 5-1. Britianna Gillanders opened scoring for the Lions and made it 1-0. After that, it was all Buckeyes as they scored five unanswered goals. Ohio State's scoring was opened by senior forward Maggie Rothgery and the teams went into the first intermission tied at one. Junior forward Katie Matheny made a triumphant return to her backyard with the go-ahead goal in the second period, followed by goals from sophomore forward Lauren Spring, senior forward Kendall Curtis, and freshman forward Maddy Field. Senior goaltender Stacey Danczak had 31 saves for Ohio State through two periods. Sophomore goaltender Alex LaMere came into the game in the third period and did not allow any goals. The Bucks and Lions will hook up again tomorrow night at 7:07 pm CST.

Comment

Ohio State completed their sweep of Lindenwood earlier tonight by a final score of 3-2. Ohio State got the first goal from freshman forward Maddy Field, then senior forward Kendall Curtis found the back of the net for the Buckeyes other two goals. Shara Jasper and Rachel Weich scored the Lions' goals. Sophomore goaltender Alex LaMere recorded 16 saves while Lindenwood netminder Nicole Hensley made 25 stops for the Lions. Ohio State will face Wisconsin next weekend in Madison.

Comment

Greatly appreciate the reports; glad we're off to a good start.

Tell us about your trip. IIRC, it's about a 7 hour drive?

Comment

Pgb, thank you for asking! We left Friday morning. It is approximately a 7.5-hour drive as the Lindenwood Ice Arena is northwest of the St. Louis area. Plus, after factoring in stops for food, gas, and just getting out of the car to stretch a little, it generally took us 9.5 hours. Despite the Lindenwood Ice Arena being a couple towns west of the main campus (main campus is in St. Charles, the ice arena is in Wentzville), the Lions drew pretty decent crowds both nights, including a very good student section for Saturday night's game. They were loud and were cheering the entire game. I would love to see our girls get that kind of support from our students. Friday night's game was great. We spotted Lindenwood a goal, then roared back for five goals. I was really impressed with our work ethic, and the girls puck skills are better than I have seen in a long time. We didn't seem to turn the puck over that much, and our kids really work hard along the boards to win those puck battles. Passing was crisp and accurate for the most part. Saturday's game was a little tighter, as I expected. When you beat a team on their ice 5-1, they are going to bring it the next night. Still, it was our kids who took the 2-0 lead, then the Lions answered back to cut it to 2-1. We answered and made it 3-1. Lindenwood cut the lead to 3-2 early in the third period but we did not allow them to get the equalizer. I was proud of our girls. Lindenwood is not a bad team, they are going to win some games this season. I enjoyed their arena. There are two sheets of ice and a nice concession area. One of the first things I noticed was that the penalty boxes are on the bench side, just like the OSU Ice Rink. As always, the girls appreciated seeing some folks on the road wearing Scarlet & Gray and cheering them on. If I were to make a feeble attempt at trying to do a three stars of the game (no one does that better than you), my first star of the weekend would be our senior forward from Colorado, Kendall Curtis, who tallied three goals on the weekend and I believe also had an assist or two. Second star would go to freshman forward Maddy Field, who had two goals and showed some puck skills that you might not necessarily expect from a freshman playing her first college hockey games. I would give my third star to our two goaltenders who combined to hold Lindenwood to three goals for the weekend. Both Stacy Danczak and Alex LaMere played well in net, and also, the girls played well in front of them for the most part. I would give an honorable mention to freshman Dana Rasmussen, who looked very good on the ice and like Field, has some great skills. Really, that entire freshman class looks like they will be contributing right away, and that is without arguably the most heralded member of the class, Jincy Dunne, being able to go this weekend. I have not forgotten about the rest of the team. Katie Matheny had a nice homecoming with a goal and some assists, and other upper classmen contributed. It was a fun road trip, and the Lindenwood fans were very gracious. Good folks in the Show Me State! One other note, after exchanging a couple emails, I finally got to meet Coach Jenny Potter in person. LOL, I pretty much clammed up. It's like I was star-struck or something. To me, Jenny Potter is a rock star in the hockey world, and I am thrilled that she is here. I think Ohio State is going to surprise some people this season. I can tell you this, I was at a practice earlier this week, and she really works the girls hard. That work ethic was certainly evident this past weekend. Well, I should close up this novel. We are home now and are bummed that the road trip is over, but it will be nice to sleep in our own bed tonight! Next weekend it gets a little tougher as the girls travel to Madison to face the Badgers. We originally planned to make that trip but Mrs 86's schedule changed and she has to work every other Sunday. She has to work next Sunday, so we decided to go to Lindenwood instead. It was a fun trip, but I am looking forward to some home games, too!

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
            Pgb, thank you for asking! We left Friday morning. It is approximately a 7.5-hour drive as the Lindenwood Ice Arena is northwest of the St. Louis area. Plus, after factoring in stops for food, gas, and just getting out of the car to stretch a little, it generally took us 9.5 hours.
            Full day's drive, but very doable. For us, that's similar to the trip northwest to Chicago/Milwaukee; or southeast to DC. Made it to STL for the 2007 Men's FF, but have only been back once since. It's good to remember that STL definitely is a road trip option from Central Ohio.

Despite the Lindenwood Ice Arena being a couple towns west of the main campus (main campus is in St. Charles, the ice arena is in Wentzville), the Lions drew pretty decent crowds both nights, including a very good student section for Saturday night's game. They were loud and were cheering the entire game. I would love to see our girls get that kind of support from our students.

Did you have the sense that was typical? Or maybe there was a little extra excitement for opening weekend?

... If I were to make a feeble attempt at trying to do a three stars of the game (no one does that better than you), my first star of the weekend would be our senior forward from Colorado, Kendall Curtis, who tallied three goals on the weekend and I believe also had an assist or two...
            Appreciate the compliment, but would insist you do very well identifying excellent performances in my "absence." As for Kendall, I've always admired her as a player and am glad to hear from you and others that she's emerging as a real team leader this year.

...Second star would go to freshman forward Maddy Field, who had two goals and showed some puck skills that you might not necessarily expect from a freshman playing her first college hockey games...
            Looking forward to seeing Maddy play on 10/16!

...Really, that entire freshman class looks like they will be contributing right away, and that is without arguably the most heralded member of the class, Jincy Dunne, being able to go this weekend...
            Too bad Jincy didn't get to make the hometown appearance. Any word on when she'll be in the line-up?

...Katie Matheny had a nice homecoming with a goal and some assists, and other upper classmen contributed. It was a fun road trip, and the Lindenwood fans were very gracious. Good folks in the Show Me State!
            And I'm glad Katie did get the hometown ice time. Obviously we're landing some nice recruits from that area. Maybe we'll play Lindenwood on a more regular basis, what with the recruiting angle.

One other note, after exchanging a couple emails, I finally got to meet Coach Jenny Potter in person. LOL, I pretty much clammed up. It's like I was star-struck or something. To me, Jenny Potter is a rock star in the hockey world, and I am thrilled that she is here.
            Easy big guy! When she's ready to hit the ice, she puts on one skate at a time, just like the rest of us.

But agreed, we're lucky to have her. Definitely looking forward to the season ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
              When she's ready to hit the ice, she puts on one skate at a time, just like the rest of us.
              You're assuming that she ever takes them off.
              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                What's the status on some of the players that didn't play? Noticed that McKinnon, Sauve and both Dunne's were not in the lineup?

Comment

Pgb, thank you for asking! We left Friday morning. It is approximately a 7.5-hour drive as the Lindenwood Ice Arena is northwest of the St. Louis area. Plus, after factoring in stops for food, gas, and just getting out of the car to stretch a little, it generally took us 9.5 hours. Despite the Lindenwood Ice Arena being a couple towns west of the main campus (main campus is in St. Charles, the ice arena is in Wentzville), the Lions drew pretty decent crowds both nights, including a very good student section for Saturday night's game. They were loud and were cheering the entire game. I would love to see our girls get that kind of support from our students. Friday night's game was great. We spotted Lindenwood a goal, then roared back for five goals. I was really impressed with our work ethic, and the girls puck skills are better than I have seen in a long time. We didn't seem to turn the puck over that much, and our kids really work hard along the boards to win those puck battles. Passing was crisp and accurate for the most part. Saturday's game was a little tighter, as I expected. When you beat a team on their ice 5-1, they are going to bring it the next night. Still, it was our kids who took the 2-0 lead, then the Lions answered back to cut it to 2-1. We answered and made it 3-1. Lindenwood cut the lead to 3-2 early in the third period but we did not allow them to get the equalizer. I was proud of our girls. Lindenwood is not a bad team, they are going to win some games this season. I enjoyed their arena. There are two sheets of ice and a nice concession area. One of the first things I noticed was that the penalty boxes are on the bench side, just like the OSU Ice Rink. As always, the girls appreciated seeing some folks on the road wearing Scarlet & Gray and cheering them on. If I were to make a feeble attempt at trying to do a three stars of the game (no one does that better than you), my first star of the weekend would be our senior forward from Colorado, Kendall Curtis, who tallied three goals on the weekend and I believe also had an assist or two. Second star would go to freshman forward Maddy Field, who had two goals and showed some puck skills that you might not necessarily expect from a freshman playing her first college hockey games. I would give my third star to our two goaltenders who combined to hold Lindenwood to three goals for the weekend. Both Stacy Danczak and Alex LaMere played well in net, and also, the girls played well in front of them for the most part. I would give an honorable mention to freshman Dana Rasmussen, who looked very good on the ice and like Field, has some great skills. Really, that entire freshman class looks like they will be contributing right away, and that is without arguably the most heralded member of the class, Jincy Dunne, being able to go this weekend. I have not forgotten about the rest of the team. Katie Matheny had a nice homecoming with a goal and some assists, and other upper classmen contributed. It was a fun road trip, and the Lindenwood fans were very gracious. Good folks in the Show Me State! One other note, after exchanging a couple emails, I finally got to meet Coach Jenny Potter in person. LOL, I pretty much clammed up. It's like I was star-struck or something. To me, Jenny Potter is a rock star in the hockey world, and I am thrilled that she is here. I think Ohio State is going to surprise some people this season. I can tell you this, I was at a practice earlier this week, and she really works the girls hard. That work ethic was certainly evident this past weekend. Well, I should close up this novel. We are home now and are bummed that the road trip is over, but it will be nice to sleep in our own bed tonight! Next weekend it gets a little tougher as the girls travel to Madison to face the Badgers. We originally planned to make that trip but Mrs 86's schedule changed and she has to work every other Sunday. She has to work next Sunday, so we decided to go to Lindenwood instead. It was a fun trip, but I am looking forward to some home games, too!

Glad to see Coach Potter get her first two D 1 wins. I am hopeful that there will be many more in the future. Undoubtedly, she is trying to change the culture at OSU and to teach her players what it takes to be winners at this level. There will be some bumps and bruises along the way but if they listen and work together with a common goal, they will be a much better team in February then they are now. Potter knows what it takes to be a champion, hopefully her players are smart and committed enough to take the message to heart and to make it happen. The next few weekends represent some teaching and learning opportunities for the Lady Buckeyes. There are no more certain W's on the schedule...go get 'em Bucks!

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                    Guilty as charged; I was making that assumption.

Maybe we can agree that she takes off her skates a lot less than the rest of us?

Comment

Wow, lots of questions. I will try to answer them as best I can. I have talked to some of the girls so I can tell you about a few of them. Kassidy Sauve had some offseason surgery and will not be able to go this season. I think she is going to get a medical redshirt so she will be able to play for three more seasons after this one. Julia McKinnon had some surgery but is expected to be back in the line-up soon, possibly this weekend at Wisconsin. Jessica Dunne had a setback in practice and was not able to make the trip. She should be back in the line-up this weekend or next weekend. In regard to Jincy Dunne, I am not 100% sure about her, and I am not going to speculate. Hopefully we see her in the line-up at some point this season, but I am not sure when.

Comment

Pgb, in regard to your question about the Lindenwood crowd, there may have been some excitement for opening weekend. Plus, there was some sort of 80's theme with the students who were there. I learned that the guys who were dressed up in their 80's clothes were members of the Lindenwood Rugby Team. I was informed there is a lot of interaction between the Rugby guys and the Lindenwood Women's Hockey Team.

Comment

Originally posted by Trinity11 View Post
                          Glad to see Coach Potter get her first two D 1 wins. I am hopeful that there will be many more in the future. Undoubtedly, she is trying to change the culture at OSU and to teach her players what it takes to be winners at this level. There will be some bumps and bruises along the way but if they listen and work together with a common goal, they will be a much better team in February then they are now. Potter knows what it takes to be a champion, hopefully her players are smart and committed enough to take the message to heart and to make it happen. The next few weekends represent some teaching and learning opportunities for the Lady Buckeyes. There are no more certain W's on the schedule...go get 'em Bucks!
                          I am sure there will be many more wins in the future, and I think this year's team is going to surprise some people. I think the culture is changing, and Coach Potter appears to be a great teacher and as you said, she knows what it takes to be a champion. I can tell you this, I think the answer to your question about our girls being smart and committed enough to take her messages to heart would be a resounding yes. I've been to a couple of practices and they work very hard. That hard work was evident at Lindenwood this past weekend and it paid off. The road certainly gets tougher the next couple weekends (Wisconsin and Minnesota), but win or lose, I am going to enjoy the journey Coach Potter is taking us all on.

Comment

Wow, lots of questions. I will try to answer them as best I can.
                            Along with lots of interest and feedback. The "posting season" is off to a good start too. Well done.

Comment

Thanks for the compliment Pgb! Looking forward to the first home games of the season and your "Unofficial Three Stars Of The Game." You do such a great job! Like the legendary Dickie Dunn, you really capture the spirit of the thing!

Comment

Working...
                              X