LSSU Lakers 2015-16: The 50th season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LSSU Lakers 2015-16: The 50th season

Hard to believe the season is upon us already. This summer flew by! Lakers picked to finish last by the coaches, 9th by the media. Hope we can prove them wrong.
    Last edited by LSSULaker889294; 02-24-2016, 11:32 PM.
    LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Re: LSSU Lakers 2015-16: The 50th season

I'm very glad to see somebody else realized that this was the 50th year of the Lakers. Tried to do some research into the history of the program while the team was still the Soo Tech Hornets, but found very little to go on. I hope the team and school will do something to commemorate fifty years.
    Go Lakers!

Check out the Laker Hockey Blog, it's good for you! http://lakerhockeyblog.com

Comment

Originally posted by jsmithe View Post
      I'm very glad to see somebody else realized that this was the 50th year of the Lakers. Tried to do some research into the history of the program while the team was still the Soo Tech Hornets, but found very little to go on. I hope the team and school will do something to commemorate fifty years.
      I think they had a couple of seasons of what could be called (in today's terms) a club hockey team prior to the initial varsity season under Ron Mason in 66-67.

Comment

Originally posted by jsmithe View Post
        I wonder if Damon is aware of it? Someone should ask him. Anyways, I know in 1995-96, the team commemorated the 30th season. I still have program from that season and it had a 30 years logo on it.

Hard to believe the first Laker Hockey Show of the season is tomorrow. It should be a very interesting show.
        Last edited by LSSULaker889294; 09-27-2015, 10:40 PM.

Comment

The first Laker Hockey Show of the year is tonight, from 6-7 p.m., broadcasting live during the LSSU Spaghetti Dinner at the CC Hall on ESPN 1400. Join legendary voice of the Lakers, Bill Crawford, as he will have head coach Damon Whitten along with players and other guests. If you happen to miss the show, you can hear the podcast http://lakers.sovcomm.net/

Comment

The Laker Launch was a lot of fun, but not a lot of fans attended. All the players were great to us all that were there, though, and treated my son like a VIP. Not sure what's up with people in this town, or maybe it's people all over, that would rather sit on their butts at home then get out and actually attend an event. I did take a few pics, they were with my phone, so not great quality. You can view them in this Flickr album if interested:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123265...h/21726577642/

Comment

Originally posted by RealLaker94 View Post
              The Laker Launch was a lot of fun, but not a lot of fans attended. All the players were great to us all that were there, though, and treated my son like a VIP. Not sure what's up with people in this town, or maybe it's people all over, that would rather sit on their butts at home then get out and actually attend an event. I did take a few pics, they were with my phone, so not great quality. You can view them in this Flickr album if interested:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123265...h/21726577642/

I attended the launch as well and agree that the players were great. Not sure why the low attendance of fans. Brimley state park had their Halloween event that draws a lot of people is the only thing I know that was going on.

I'm very excited about the season to get started the players look to be in great shape.
              BLEED BLUE

Comment

Originally posted by PerkyforPrez View Post
                I attended the launch as well and agree that the players were great. Not sure why the low attendance of fans. Brimley state park had their Halloween event that draws a lot of people is the only thing I know that was going on.

I'm very excited about the season to get started the players look to be in great shape.
                I would guess bad season after bad season and what you get are low turn outs for games and events.

Comment

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
                  I would guess bad season after bad season and what you get are low turn outs for games and events.

Agreed. Hopefully, the Lakers start winning and the fans will come back. Plus, the weather was nice and there aren't many sunny weekends left before the cold invades.

Comment

Cedar Rapids highlights from 9-26 including Luke Morgan's 1st career USHL goal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgRc2MKnvgg

Comment

Originally posted by herbst20 View Post
                      Cedar Rapids highlights from 9-26 including Luke Morgan's 1st career USHL goal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgRc2MKnvgg
                      Thanks herbst20. We appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by DopeyBaker View Post
                        Agreed. Hopefully, the Lakers start winning and the fans will come back. Plus, the weather was nice and there aren't many sunny weekends left before the cold invades.
                        Probably bad marketing by the athletic department as well.

Anything interesting on the Laker Hockey Show tonight? For some reason, the podcast isn't posted.

Comment

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post

Anything interesting on the Laker Hockey Show tonight? For some reason, the podcast isn't posted.
                          Damon talked a little more about each of the new players and what they brought to the table. He did some of that on shows last season although not always being able to mention names. He especially likes that some of the new guys scored so well in playoffs for their respective leagues this past Spring. He also said the players are very anxious to get the season started. Overall physical conditioning is much better than at this point last year. Some discussion about Doug Holewa and Terry Barbeau. Doug has already been very busy on the recruiting trails with all the junior showcases going on this month. Gordy Defiel was the player on the show this week.

Comment

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post

It takes a while to post these podcasts.

http://paul.30below.com/Soo%20Mornin...U%20Hockey.MP3

Here is Coach Whitten's interview this morning on Eagle 95.1.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulVanWagoner View Post
                              It takes a while to post these podcasts.

http://paul.30below.com/Soo%20Mornin...U%20Hockey.MP3

Here is Coach Whitten's interview this morning on Eagle 95.1.
                              Thanks Paul.

Comment

Working...
                              X