Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MSU Spartans 2015-16. Got a problem with that?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MSU Spartans 2015-16. Got a problem with that?

Holland is essentially Brandon Gentile at this stage, but with a bit more talent and 10 pounds heavier. I really hate how the kid has transitioned into a straight-up goon - and not a very good one, for that matter.
    Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
    66 - 86 - 07
    59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
    59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

• Originally posted by gomsuman View Post

It does make you wonder what was keeping this team from playing like this all year!? I know confidence is a fickle thing in college sports, hockey in particular, but that can't be the whole reason. Minnesota didn't even look like it belonged on the ice with MSU at times on Saturday which, looking at each teams overall record, is crazy to say.
      I honestly just think that there isn't as much separating the B1G teams as we think, except for Michigan. Sure, OSU just swept them but **** happens in hockey. Minnesota isn't as good as they usually are and PSU is pretty
      decent but nothing special.

I do think this MSU team could have been better than most of the year indicated. Perhaps the losses to the defense really sank them.

I am hoping some freshman can come in and fill in admirably. Skating 5 D much of the year will not do it for any D-1 team. Maybe a couple of the incoming forwards can have a quick impact.

I really hope MacEachern sticks around. I honestly think we should be better next year, but how much better? I don't know. I don't expect any miracles, though.

Comment

I feel, it would be downright embarrassing, to win the B10 tourney, and go to the dance with such an appalling record.

Comment

Originally posted by Decatur Spartan View Post
          I feel, it would be downright embarrassing, to win the B10 tourney, and go to the dance with such an appalling record.
          Probably. But a tourney berth is a tourney berth.
          Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

I wouldn't. A tournament bid is a tournament bid, and we would have earned it, per league rules, fair-and-square. That said, it would expose a pretty big flaw in the whole B1G tournament system that should be corrected.

If the league ever gets to eight teams, the six-team format should remain. Top six make it in and the regular season champion hosts on their ice. (We can thank Barry Alvarez for nixing the campus sites part of that plan years ago, which would have made the whole postseason tournament a lot more interesting and better-attended. Michigan and Michigan State won't travel to Xcel. Minnesota and Wisconsin won't travel to JLA, which we saw last year. Penn State probably can't travel to either because of travel concerns. Ohio State probably won't travel anywhere regardless, but that fanbase would probably be a bit more interested in watching their team play for a championship if they didn't have to leave Columbus.)

I'll step off my soapbox now.
            66 - 86 - 07
            59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Comment

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
              I wouldn't. A tournament bid is a tournament bid, and we would have earned it, per league rules, fair-and-square. That said, it would expose a pretty big flaw in the whole B1G tournament system that should be corrected.

If the league ever gets to eight teams, the six-team format should remain. Top six make it in and the regular season champion hosts on their ice. (We can thank Barry Alvarez for nixing the campus sites part of that plan years ago, which would have made the whole postseason tournament a lot more interesting and better-attended. Michigan and Michigan State won't travel to Xcel. Minnesota and Wisconsin won't travel to JLA, which we saw last year. Penn State probably can't travel to either because of travel concerns. Ohio State probably won't travel anywhere regardless, but that fanbase would probably be a bit more interested in watching their team play for a championship if they didn't have to leave Columbus.)

I'll step off my soapbox now.
              Yes they will have gotten in by the rules. But that doesn't mean I have to like it. An embarrassment to my idea of sport. My opinion.

If the league gets to eight teams, I would have 4 first round campus sites. Then a Championship site. Your right on the travel/attendance problems We aren't going to travel West. Y'all aren't going to travel East. PSU and OSU won't travel at all.

Comment

Holy crud. Four goals given up in the second and another overtime loss, this time with under 30 seconds left. Well, so much for being over that stuff.
                66 - 86 - 07

Comment

Well, another season at Munn is down and this year was obviously not good and at times excruciating. With that said, last night was quite a bit of fun and had Friday turned out better it would have been the most exciting weekend of hockey at Munn in quite a while. Both games had good pace and could have tilted either way at a single bounce. I know we didn't technically "win" last night but seeing as how all we were playing for was pride and sending the seniors out with some good feels, I'd say it was a great success. Hildebrand, fluke goal not withstanding, was fantastic and shutting them out in the shootout was a fitting conclusion for a great career. Nate Phillips got in the game and will end his Spartan career with a save% of .1000. It was a sellout crowd(I think?). It's always nice to leave Munn for the final time happy.

Comment

Announced today: Jake Hildebrand Honorable Mention All-Big Ten and Zach Osburn makes the Big Ten All-Freshman team. Michigan dominated most other awards and teams as expected.

Comment

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
                      Michigan and Michigan State won't travel to Xcel. Minnesota and Wisconsin won't travel to JLA, which we saw last year. Penn State probably can't travel to either because of travel concerns. Ohio State probably won't travel anywhere regardless, but that fanbase would probably be a bit more interested in watching their team play for a championship if they didn't have to leave Columbus.)
                      I hear Chicago has facilities that might work out. The Cheeseheads would have to hold their noses dealing with all the Flatlanders, but Madison is closer to Chicago than the Twin Cities. Not much of a drive for UM/MSU and as mentioned above, PSU and OSU would be bonus material no matter the site. You'd think with the B1G HQ in Chicagoland that strings could be pulled to land the United Center.

Just a thought...

Comment

• Originally posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post
                        I hear Chicago has facilities that might work out. The Cheeseheads would have to hold their noses dealing with all the Flatlanders, but Madison is closer to Chicago than the Twin Cities. Not much of a drive for UM/MSU and as mentioned above, PSU and OSU would be bonus material no matter the site. You'd think with the B1G HQ in Chicagoland that strings could be pulled to land the United Center.

Just a thought...
                        Too big.

But the Allstate Arena (the old Rosemont Horizon) also has a history with the Big Ten, and doesn't have two conflicting tenants like the UC.

Comment

And with nine freshmen arriving in the fall of 2016, it looks like a rebuilding year for tCHHCoMSU. Yup, any bets on another contract extension?

Comment

• Originally posted by Decatur Spartan View Post
                            And with nine freshmen arriving in the fall of 2016, it looks like a rebuilding year for tCHHCoMSU. Yup, any bets on another contract extension?
                            I honestly do not think we will have a worse season, unless maybe if Maceachern and any other unexpected departures take place. I can't confidently say we will be much better, though.

I do not know what sort of non-con schedule we have but I hope it's a little friendlier. I imagine a trip out to NoDak is in order.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
                              I honestly do not think we will have a worse season, unless maybe if Maceachern and any other unexpected departures take place. I can't confidently say we will be much better, though.

I do not know what sort of non-con schedule we have but I hope it's a little friendlier. I imagine a trip out to NoDak is in order.
                              My concern is Goaltending. And Defense. And Offense. And Special Teams..... And maybe another 10-12 win season.

Comment

My concern is Goaltending. And Defense. And Offense. And Special Teams..... And maybe another 10-12 win season.
                                Honestly my only concern is being young. Talent-wise I think we are actually not losing much this year besides Hildebrand and Deblouw... Everybody else is pretty easy to replace (just average players). Losing Ferrantino may be tough on the leadership side but I'm sorry, on any other team he would be an ideal 3rd-4th line guy.

P.S.- Osburn is going to be the next Krug. That guy can flat out play offense from the defenseman position. Still a little bit of a liability on D and in our own zone but he will figure that out by next year.

Also does anybody know the rules on redshirting? Does Minney still qualify for one? Otherwise, I still can't figure out why he hasn't played...
                                Last edited by gomsuman; 03-15-2016, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X