Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MSU Spartans 2015-16. Got a problem with that?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MSU Spartans 2015-16. Got a problem with that?

A forward may have to make the switch at some point. Didn't Jake Chelios do that?

Nevertheless, hopefully some forward had experience at Defense because natural forwards are not particularly great at playing defense when it involves anything other than working the PP in the offensive zone.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
      A forward may have to make the switch at some point. Didn't Jake Chelios do that?

Nevertheless, hopefully some forward had experience at Defense because natural forwards are not particularly great at playing defense when it involves anything other than working the PP in the offensive zone.
      Yes, yes he did. You said it ... Experience, which is something Chelios had in juniors.

Comment

An FYI: Per the AD's website, Munn's new capacity is 6,114. That's a reduction of 356 seats.

Stopped by for the open practice on Saturday. I like the new seating. At the very least, the aluminum benches seem a bit more durable.

I'm looking forward to seeing the team in action today. Haven't seen a game at Munn since 2013.
        Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
        66 - 86 - 07
        59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
        59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

This leaves us perilously thin. 6 is the absolute minimum you want for anything but temporary circumstances. An injury there and fatigue will become a very real factor late in games and as the season progresses. I am not sure why Krygier left but if it had anything to do with playing time then he didn't have great timing.
          I believe that Krygier received his Ba. And is playing at ASU as a graduate transfer. Working toward his Masters.

Comment

I believe Cody Milan is healthy. His was one of two solid freshman performances tonight that included D Zach Osburn, who looked pretty darn good (and not at all freshman-like) and spent a lot of time on the power play. Some not-unexpected ragged play at times against UWO, who had 5 games on MSU coming into tonight. Nice to get the W, but lets see how much more refined MSU is in a tough tilt next weekend at Maine. Probably won't see Minney in goal then, but I'm glad he got a third-period shutout in net. Shots 40-18?

Comment

A little sloppy at times, particularly in the first period but a fine performance, nonetheless. I thought Deblouw looked strong out there. I hope he finally has that big year.

Concerns about offensive production were not exactly lessened and while the team has likely had very little time to work on special teams, the power play looked terrible at times and disappointing the rest of the night.

Ed Minney looked good. I suppose he technically only faced about 3 shots but he had a couple big saves.

I think Munn looks good. The aluminum bleachers give the place a livelier look as opposed to the somewhat darkness of constant green. I don't know. I'm not an interior decorator.

Comment

A little sloppy at times, particularly in the first period but a fine performance, nonetheless. I thought Deblouw looked strong out there. I hope he finally has that big year.

Concerns about offensive production were not exactly lessened and while the team has likely had very little time to work on special teams, the power play looked terrible at times and disappointing the rest of the night.

Ed Minney looked good. I suppose he technically only faced about 3 shots but he had a couple big saves.

I think Munn looks good. The aluminum bleachers give the place a livelier look as opposed to the somewhat darkness of constant green. I don't know. I'm not an interior decorator.
                As a Michigan fan I hate the aluminum bleachers in Yost. It looks wrong, just plain wrong. We've had them for over 3 years now and I still can't get used to them. Also, the smell of roasted almonds was absorbed by the old wooden benches, it made everything in the building ooze with history. The wooden benches were louder too. The metal in there is just plain wrong. I suppose that it was long over-due but I still dislike it. I sound like a crotchety old man...

I'm not a fan of green though so it may be better from an outsider's perspective.
                Originally posted by alfablue
                Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

In all fairness though it's extremely difficult to gauge a team who hasn't even had itself for competition for 40 or 60 minutes until they laced em up against a bunch of mid-20-year-olds who already played 5 games (included Miami). There was noticeable improvement from period 1 to period 2, and that's the important thing.

Granted, we were basically seeing a UWO conga line to the penalty box most of the night. But - that also afforded the coaching staff a chance to try about 5 different power-play combinations.

I thought MacEachern worked the kinks out early, and Deblouw and Ebbing looked ready from the start. Haag looked a little confused at times which worried me somewhat. Stenglein played OK when given a shot at the top-line, but he had a nasty giveaway in the first which almost led to a goal. 4th line was terrific, and Hoomaian had a nifty weave through traffic and perfect pass to Milan for goal #1.

If you didn't know, you couldn't tell Osburn is a Freshman. He showed good poise and I can easily see him in our top two pairings if a couple of our veteran RD's don't step it up a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
                    As a Michigan fan I hate the aluminum bleachers in Yost. It looks wrong, just plain wrong. We've had them for over 3 years now and I still can't get used to them. Also, the smell of roasted almonds was absorbed by the old wooden benches, it made everything in the building ooze with history. The wooden benches were louder too. The metal in there is just plain wrong. I suppose that it was long over-due but I still dislike it. I sound like a crotchety old man...

I'm not a fan of green though so it may be better from an outsider's perspective.
                    I was on the fence about all the metal - though if you asked me 10 years ago I would have said no. Now however the new screen and ribbon video is there, the new chairbacks, some upgrades to the mezzanine, etc. the metal is definitely a must-have upgrade ... the old fiberglass benches basically held together by bubblegum would have looked silly against all the new "bells & whistles" and chairs and stuff.

I'm also a BIG fan of the hand-rails in the aisles. Those steps always made me nervous and besides the railings actually make the arena "pop" visually a little.

Comment

I thought we looked OK on Sunday. A bit clunky, but, given that we were one full-team practice into the season, I guess that was kind of expected. The power play didn't convert, but it got pretty close - I find this to be promising. Overall, it looks like there's a good amount of potential there.

And, of course, with my first game back, I get a dose of McInchak and Aaron. I think the universe was trying to play some sort of joke on me. I fully expect to see those two officiating hockey games together in hell.
                      66 - 86 - 07
                      59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Comment

Just bought all-Saturday tickets. Section W, row 18, seat 10.

Yes, I'm having trouble containing my excitement.
                        66 - 86 - 07

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post

Wood benches would be ideal for sure. Pretty sure no rink puts those in anymore. Too expensive, maybe? They remind me of all the old barns I used to play in growing up in the 90's and early 2000's.

As for the team, I think we skate pretty well and have some decent speed so hopefully the offense comes around. I thought we had some difficulty entering the offensive zone at times. Guys weren't quite on the same page and some opportunities were lost due to poor timing. As others have stated, that is not a surprise at this point.

Let's see how they perform out in Maine. There is no reason we shouldn't believe we can't win both games.

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                            I'm also a BIG fan of the hand-rails in the aisles. Those steps always made me nervous and besides the railings actually make the arena "pop" visually a little.
                            You can thank the ADA for that. I have no idea why universities get away with not having them in Student Sections. The Big House has hand-rails in every section but the Student Sections. Why not? It isn't like Students are exampt from having a disability. There must be some loop-hole like Students don't pay full-price therefore the ADA doesn't apply. Still, you'd think that since Michigan was already rennovating the entire stadium the cost of a few more sections of hand-rails would be irrelevant.
                            Originally posted by alfablue
                            Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                            Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                            I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

First exhibition game Sunday and it went just about as I expected. Real sloppy in some areas where the lack of practice really shows through (transition game, PK, and PP). But otherwise I was pretty impressed with the team as a whole and the freshman in particular, WOW, were they impressive. Appleton is obviously a player the coaches are going to expect a lot from this year and the other three freshmen played very well.

One player I was disappointed with was Haag. As I think owslachief mentioned briefly, He just looked lost out there on what should be a very talented line with him, MacEachern, and Appleton. Isn't Haag a junior? He sure didn't look like it Sunday. But maybe he just partied a little too hard on Saturday night...

Also did anybody else see that the Western Ontario goalie that played Sunday was a former 2nd round NHL draft pick by the Colorado Avalanche!? Looks like he "retired" from professional hockey to go to school and play hockey? So at the very least he used to be/has the potential to be a very good goaltender. (As we saw on Sunday stopping 39 shots)

Comment

Originally posted by gomsuman View Post
                                First exhibition game Sunday and it went just about as I expected. Real sloppy in some areas where the lack of practice really shows through (transition game, PK, and PP). But otherwise I was pretty impressed with the team as a whole and the freshman in particular, WOW, were they impressive. Appleton is obviously a player the coaches are going to expect a lot from this year and the other three freshmen played very well. )
                                As someone else mentioned here ... TA brought up in the presser that the training staff felt this was the best freshman class in quite a while in terms of work ethic and readiness. Appleton's stock has done nothing but rise the last several months, and Milan has always had the talent though I think now he's in a really good place health-wise for the first time / long time.

Note: I am knocking on wood!

Comment

Working...
                                X