Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MSU Spartans 2015-16. Got a problem with that?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MSU Spartans 2015-16. Got a problem with that?

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/s...mmit/78702702/

Good talk from the LSJ writers about the state of MSU hockey right now. If you want to skip the basketball talk go right to about 32:05. What are your guys' opinion on their take? Is it true that no team continues to recruit a player who is already committed, even if it is at age 15!? I love hockey but really know nothing on how the recruiting process works.

Comment

Originally posted by gomsuman View Post
      http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/s...mmit/78702702/

Good talk from the LSJ writers about the state of MSU hockey right now. If you want to skip the basketball talk go right to about 32:05. What are your guys' opinion on their take? Is it true that no team continues to recruit a player who is already committed, even if it is at age 15!? I love hockey but really know nothing on how the recruiting process works.
      That may be a gentleman's rule that coaches abide by. But I've not seen it written. What is certain is that before a prospective recruit has reached Jan. 1 of their 10th grade, a program may not reach out to that player - he/she must initiate the contact.

Comment

Well, it sure has become easy to lose. I will watch the games and hope for the best but losses just make me roll my eyes now. Even last weekend's disaster felt more like "lol whelp, that's the end of that." as opposed to some sort of horrible spectacle.

This was a lot of childhood naïveté but being a young child and going to games in the 90's, losing never even felt like an option. I'd show up with my parents, watch MSU win and then go home and that's just the way it was. We have not been good in a long time and that is hard to believe. How many years has it been since we had a "great" team? 2007? There's been a couple decent-solid years in there but the rest have been poor to just plain bad. I don't know what the future holds for this program but I just hope I can come to a game at Munn against anybody other than some AHA doormat and be reasonably confident we will win.
        Last edited by Pirateasaur; 01-13-2016, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Yeah, the gentlemen's agreement thing is absolute BS. I recall a few Comley recruits getting poached by other D-I coaches. (The OHL was a much bigger pain in the butt, though.)
          Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
          66 - 86 - 07
          59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
          59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
            Yeah, the gentlemen's agreement thing is absolute BS. I recall a few Comley recruits getting poached by other D-I coaches. (The OHL was a much bigger pain in the butt, though.)
            Again, however, if Kid A who's 16 years old and in 10th grade leaves a voice mail with Coach A at College A on October 10, and at the same time tweets that he's verbally committed to play at College A, Coach B at College B can't "poach" Kid until after Jan. 1. Of course, that doesn't apply to, say, Coach C in Sarnia.

So Austin Czarnik, for example, committed to state when he was 15, and in the 10th grade. Blasi came calling the next year.

Comment

It does seem though that in comparison to football and basketball there is A LOT less flipping in commitments in hockey, especially when hockey recruits usually commit at a much younger age. I can't imagine that every single hockey recruit just has one team in mind their whole life...

Comment

Honest question.

Bowling Green lost a defenseman in December when Dajon Mingo went pro. They immediately added not one but TWO new blueliners for the second semester. Both Jordan Ernst and Adam Smith have played in each of the 5 games for the Falcons since they arrived.

http://www.bgsufalcons.com/news/2015...x?path=mhockey

Michigan State knew they were losing Josh Jacobs in May. They've shown repeatedly that there are only 5 NCAA caliber defensemen on the roster, but didn't add anyone at the break. Why not try to bring in someone for the second half of the season?

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                  Honest question.

Bowling Green lost a defenseman in December when Dajon Mingo went pro. They immediately added not one but TWO new blueliners for the second semester. Both Jordan Ernst and Adam Smith have played in each of the 5 games for the Falcons since they arrived.

Michigan State knew they were losing Josh Jacobs in May. They've shown repeatedly that there are only 5 NCAA caliber defensemen on the roster, but didn't add anyone at the break. Why not try to bring in someone for the second half of the season?
                  Oh that's an outstanding question, and a great point.

A few things:
                  * They counted on Jerad Rossburg - a rookie - to partially fill Jacobs' shoes. His rehabilitation from surgery last Winter, however, did not go as smoothly as planned.
                  * Knudsen supposedly made some pretty big strides over the summer to be able dress for every game. So far that's not worked out so well ... although it can be argued that he's not as big a disappointment as some of our scholarship d-men.
                  * They still have the club "call-up" Arsenault they could theoretically use - haven't seen him yet, although we may when the NTDP plays here next weekend.
                  * Matt DeBlouw played D-man earlier this season for one or two games. I did not see the game and I don't know what his numbers were, but the fact that it was tried tells me it was worth a try.

All this adds up of course to a pretty sorry situation for our blue-liners. In theory we have as many as 8 defensemen on our roster (if you count DeBlouw as part-time D). Yes, Jacobs' departure in late May (it was around the 29th) left MSU scrambling. Or we should have been. We simply can't have a patchwork roster of blueliners and expect to compete for a league title. But to your point, it's stretches belief to think we couldn't have imported someone with experience for the second semester.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                    Honest question.

I agree entirely. Maybe they did try to bring someone in, but failed miserably in the attempt. Either way, the D is short this year.

Comment

http://youtu.be/4L02qm-CxlM
                      Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

1-13-1 in MSU's last 15 games. Where's by barf bucket?
                        66 - 86 - 07
                        59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Comment

Last I heard it was in a Frat. House....
                          Originally posted by alfablue
                          Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                          Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                          I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Yuck. Shouldn't you be self-medicating, like the rest of us?

Comment

http://youtu.be/4L02qm-CxlM

1-14-1 now in the last 16. Can't officially lose next week, but can still be demoralized by high schoolers!!!
                              Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Well, I thought we played 40 minutes of not horrible hockey tonight. That's similar to progress, right?
                                66 - 86 - 07

Comment

Working...
                                X