Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MSU Spartans 2015-16. Got a problem with that?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MSU Spartans 2015-16. Got a problem with that?

Right before Northeastern's second goal, I thought MSU had a good chance to clear - the PK seemed to be doing a good job. Then on a clearing attempt the puck hit another MSU player and the puck stayed in the zone, Northeastern kept control and ultimately scored. That seemed to sum up the game, and the season. They couldn't seem to get out of their own way and it cost them.

Comment

Maybe I shouldn't have been, but I was shocked at how much interference and holding NU got away with. Repeatedly impeding MSU players going in for a puck, repeatedly holding the stick, etc.. It neutralized what skill the forwards had and made it a game of grit and survival.
      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

I think it is really cool that Izzo spent some time on the bench. I would be curious to hear his thoughts. Not in any snarky, critique of performance way but just from a coach who probably has very little experience with hockey suddenly being just feet away from a high level of play.

But anyway, jeez, what a disaster of a first half.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
          In the 3rd he was on the bench. I have zero problem with it. The way the team is playing right now basketball coach would probably do a better job.
          So you're saying his whining and crying shtick got him on the bench?
          Originally posted by alfablue
          Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
          Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
          I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
            ...very little experience with hockey suddenly being just feet away from a high level of play.
            I'm not tying to flame but are you serious with a 5-11-2 team playing at a high level of play? I can grant you that whenever you play Michigan because regardless of your teams ability they always play their A-game against.
            Originally posted by alfablue
            Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
            Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
            I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

• Originally posted by UMICH View Post
              So you're saying his whining and crying shtick got him on the bench?
              Lulz
              Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Originally posted by UMICH View Post
                I'm not tying to flame but are you serious with a 5-11-2 team playing at a high level of play? I can grant you that whenever you play Michigan because regardless of your teams ability they always play their A-game against.
                Division 1 college hockey is indeed a high level of play. I have no idea how high up the hockey ladder your career climbed but I can assure you that every team at this level from AIC to North Dakota is full of excellent athletes. And I am not sure why you take offense to one of the most prominent coaches in college basketball being a guest on the bench for a brief time. I do recall Harbaugh doing the same with UM's b-ball team and talking Beiline's ear off when he was trying to coach but I doubt any Michigan fan cared.
                Last edited by Pirateasaur; 12-20-2015, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                  Maybe I shouldn't have been, but I was shocked at how much interference and holding NU got away with. Repeatedly impeding MSU players going in for a puck, repeatedly holding the stick, etc.. It neutralized what skill the forwards had and made it a game of grit and survival.
                  There hasn't been a skilled forward at MSU since Tim Kennedy.

"Well, the world needs ditch diggers too." - Judge Smails

Comment

I feel compelled to use a handful of words about Izzo on the bench:
                    The whole weekend was about 2 MSU teams supporting the team on the floor or ice. So ... what's the problem again?

Now I need to comment about the icers :: sigh ::
                    I saw one team (the home team) mostly dominate the Spartans in their own zone. MSU, as usual, looked listless, less prepared, and was at times out-classed from most of the 1st until midway through the 3rd. Hard to believe the Huskies are a doormat in any league. I will say, however, that Ruck was certainly up to the task when MSU had their chances.

This is getting ridiculous - no doubt. The new regime has, with one exception, all its players in and working on a fifth year instilling its philosophy, but we're not seeing results.

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                      I feel compelled to use a handful of words about Izzo on the bench:
                      The whole weekend was about 2 MSU teams supporting the team on the floor or ice. So ... what's the problem again?

Now I need to comment about the icers :: sigh ::
                      I saw one team (the home team) mostly dominate the Spartans in their own zone. MSU, as usual, looked listless, less prepared, and was at times out-classed from most of the 1st until midway through the 3rd. Hard to believe the Huskies are a doormat in any league. I will say, however, that Ruck was certainly up to the task when MSU had their chances.

This is getting ridiculous - no doubt. The new regime has, with one exception, all its players in and working on a fifth year instilling its philosophy, but we're not seeing results.
                      Agreed. I don't know if this season can be salvaged. An upset GLI championship or a Big Ten Tournament title leading to the automatic NCAA bid seem very farfetched. More likely is a 4th-6th place finish in a weak conference. MSU has wasted 4 years of having an excellent goaltender with nothing much else around him. It's hard to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by spartyon58 View Post
                        Agreed. I don't know if this season can be salvaged. An upset GLI championship or a Big Ten Tournament title leading to the automatic NCAA bid seem very farfetched. More likely is a 4th-6th place finish in a weak conference. MSU has wasted 4 years of having an excellent goaltender with nothing much else around him. It's hard to watch.
                        Agreed. Four wasted years. Lets see, 18 games left. In theory MSU could go 23-11-2. Not likely.
                        Right now they are 5-11-2. 0-9-2 when trailing after 2 periods. 0-7 on the road. Goals for is around 2.7. Goals against around 3.2. No scorer in the top 35 in the country. No goaltender in the top FIFTY (50). That's 50! Defense is a mess. Offense is what it has been the last four years, terrible. Playing with no confidence. Open with MTU at the GLI. Then, either NMU or um. Realistically, I see 9, maybe 10 wins this season. That's it. There are guys on that team that may have some talent. But not with this coaching staff. How does everyone feel now about firing Rick Comley?

Comment

I think Comley would probably get 12 wins out of this bunch. We'd still be calling for his head.

When Comley was forced into retirement, it was time. College hockey was beginning to pass him by, especially on the recruiting trail. That said, I think it's pretty clear now Hollis made the wrong choice for his replacement. (Frankly, it was clear the day they hired Anastos, but I'm done with the whole "benefit of the doubt" thing.)
                          Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
                          66 - 86 - 07
                          59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
                          59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Originally posted by Decatur Spartan View Post
                            There are guys on that team that may have some talent. But not with this coaching staff. How does everyone feel now about firing Rick Comley?
                            I'm still fine with that decision. In the last 3 years of his tenure Comley didn't have the talent Anastos has now. He simply gave up recruiting against other programs. That said, it bothers me that the current regime is lacking an ability to develop any player beyond their freshman season.

Comment

Comley needed to go because he gave up after the NC season. Looking at Anastos' results and saying "are you happy now?" isn't really a great comparison. However, this isn't working either. Even another 2nd half jump like what happened last year isn't enough, because the Big Ten is a one bid league. You have to be able to win in non-con for the Pairwise, and all we've done is beat a bad Lake State and a mediocre UNH.
                              Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                                Comley needed to go because he gave up after the NC season. Looking at Anastos' results and saying "are you happy now?" isn't really a great comparison. However, this isn't working either. Even another 2nd half jump like what happened last year isn't enough, because the Big Ten is a one bid league. You have to be able to win in non-con for the Pairwise, and all we've done is beat a bad Lake State and a mediocre UNH.
                                Well Anastos, Miller, and Newton need to go. And go soon. Fairly obvious they cannot develop the talent. The program is regressing. I wonder how the locker room is. Josh Jacob's leaving during the summer looks like the right move now (14 pts in 32 games. as opposed to last year when he had 9 pts in 35 games.)
                                But, who would they be replaced with? I would hope maybe Danton Cole.
                                I hate changing for the sake of change, but a change needs to be made.

Comment

Working...
                                X