Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Inappropriate behaviour in Women's Hockey seems to be running rampant - UCONN's turn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inappropriate behaviour in Women's Hockey seems to be running rampant - UCONN's turn

Seems like yet another coach is under scrutiny for bullying and/or inappropriate behaviour towards players.

http://www.wfsb.com/story/29937670/f...ullying-hazing

Two quotes from the article:

According to the lawsuit, in 2014 MacKenzie allegedly told Godin's parents, shortly after he got the coaching job, that “he did not recruit Shannon, did not like her as a player, that she would hate UConn and be gone in a year.”

She said when she asked the coach how she could improve, he allegedly said “Didn’t I tell you that you would hate coming to the rink.”

I don't believe that these incidences (Minnesota, Ohio and UCONN) are isolated. It appears that this type of behaviour in sport is considered normal and acceptable, but it's not! Using your position of authority in the workplace to intimidate, insult and/or bully is not legal, so how is it any more acceptable in sport/college?

Just how many more schools are truly affected? How many players are too afraid to come forward? Coming forward takes guts, and with the fear of something to lose, most probably won't.

Re: Inappropriate behaviour in Women's Hockey seems to be running rampant - UCONN's t

Originally posted by Plus-Minus View Post
    . . . I don't believe that these incidences (Minnesota, Ohio and UCONN) are isolated. It appears that this type of behaviour in sport is considered normal and acceptable, but it's not! Using your position of authority in the workplace to intimidate, insult and/or bully is not legal, so how is it any more acceptable in sport/college?

Just how many more schools are truly affected? How many players are too afraid to come forward? Coming forward takes guts, and with the fear of something to lose, most probably won't.
    "I don't believe that these incidences (Minnesota, Ohio and UCONN) are isolated." Minnesota? Please explain, I am unaware of this sh17 happening there

Comment

Re: Inappropriate behaviour in Women's Hockey seems to be running rampant - UCONN's t

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
      "I don't believe that these incidences (Minnesota, Ohio and UCONN) are isolated." Minnesota? Please explain, I am unaware of this sh17 happening there
      Someone's bundling (and therefore bungling) the issue with a former athletic director (whom I shall not name -- he doesn't deserve further recognition) into this.

I agree that that's a different scenario than OSU and UConn, since it doesn't directly involving a student-athlete (not that it's any better).
      Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
      Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
      Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

Seems like yet another coach is under scrutiny for bullying and/or inappropriate behaviour towards players.

According to the lawsuit, in 2014 MacKenzie allegedly told Godin's parents, shortly after he got the coaching job, that “he did not recruit Shannon, did not like her as a player, that she would hate UConn and be gone in a year.”

She said when she asked the coach how she could improve, he allegedly said “Didn’t I tell you that you would hate coming to the rink.”

I don't believe that these incidences (Minnesota, Ohio and UCONN) are isolated. It appears that this type of behaviour in sport is considered normal and acceptable, but it's not! Using your position of authority in the workplace to intimidate, insult and/or bully is not legal, so how is it any more acceptable in sport/college?

Don't let her "teammates" off the hook here either. There is no place for hazing. I'm surprised UConn didn't dismiss the upperclassmen who were invoved or at least withhold their diplomas.

Comment

Originally posted by wpiguy View Post
          Don't let her "teammates" off the hook here either. There is no place for hazing. I'm surprised UConn didn't dismiss the upperclassmen who were invoved or at least withhold their diplomas.
          Not to mention giving alcohol to a minor, also illegal.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
            Seriously bad press for uconn. Coach must go. Feel sorry for the AC'S at Naha scouting. Every parent at NAHA is talking about this story.

Comment

Originally posted by Supernaut View Post
              Seriously bad press for uconn. Coach must go. Feel sorry for the AC'S at Naha scouting. Every parent at NAHA is talking about this story.
              Saw this quote from ESPN article: UConn issued a statement saying it found no evidence coaches were involved in the hazing and that current students who were involved are facing university discipline.

Comment

Please correct me if I am wrong but isn't the Head Coach at U-Conn a previous ***'t Coach at Ohio State...................a pattern perhaps ?????

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyDave View Post
                  Someone's bundling (and therefore bungling) the issue with a former athletic director (whom I shall not name -- he doesn't deserve further recognition) into this.

I agree that that's a different scenario than OSU and UConn, since it doesn't directly involving a student-athlete (not that it's any better).
                  Ah, that makes sense. Your explanation not the inclusion. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Supernaut View Post
                    Rule #1...Don't believe everything you read in a Plaintiff's complaint...

Like any workplace 'problem' there are often 2 sides to the story, and many times it turns out that the employee is totally full of S**t. How about you let the process play out before you jump to a conclusion that the coach is guilty?

As for underage drinking on college campus....Shocking...just shocking. I thought that never happens. lol.

Comment

Aren't all DI coaches "bullies"
                      Well, expect for Frosty at the UM...
                      "My daughter was bullied by the coach and teammates." Yeah ok

Comment

UConn has minors on its hockey team?

Comment

Originally posted by EastFan1 View Post
                          UConn has minors on its hockey team?
                          It does: a minor is a person under the legal age of full responsibility.

Not to be confused with miner: a person who works in a mine.

Comment

It does: a minor is a person under the legal age of full responsibility.

Not to be confused with miner: a person who works in a mine.
                            Actually, it is not a minor (unless they are under the age of 18) but an underage (under the legal age of 21) person

Comment

Anyone have any experience with this coach? Does this seem likely or is it more likely sour grapes/litigation related exaggerations? I'm sure there are many recruits who are not sure what to believe that the moment.

Comment

Working...
                              X