Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alaska Nanooks 2015-16 Season Thread - Straight Outta Sanction…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alaska Nanooks 2015-16 Season Thread - Straight Outta Sanction…

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Nothing like a trendy meme to kick off the season.

More importantly, the sanction is basically behind us and the boys have something to play for. We have eight incoming freshman and a solid core of returning players.

We’ll miss the early departure of both Shawn Hochhausen and Colton Parayko. Shawn was a strong presence for us on the ice and a good student. Not sure of the circumstances, but I wish him well. Doesn’t look like they’ll be adding a forward to fill that spot. That leaves us with only 14 forwards. An injury or two and everybody gets playing time. Can’t say enough about what Parayko meant to our team, so I won’t. But a healthy Justin Woods would not only help offset the loss of Parayko, but just in itself would represent a huge comeback and successful season. Sure, we want all the wins we can muster, but some things are more important than hockey.

Here is a snapshot of the team right now:

And if you are as antsy as I am for the season to start, here’s what’s up first:

Sep 26, Sat, Blue/Gold game, 7:07pm at the Patty Rink
    Oct 4, Sun, Mt. Royal University Cougars, 3:07pm at the Carlson Center
    Oct 9-10, Kendall Classic in Anchorage, vs St Cloud St. and Arizona St.
    Oct 16-17, Brice Goal Rush, Carlson Center, vs AIC and RPI

The Nooks are one of three teams to qualify (top four finish) for home ice in each of the first two seasons of the nWCHA. Let’s keep that streak going, along with a seventh straight Governor’s Cup.

Go Nooks!

Re: Alaska Nanooks 2015-16 Season Thread - Straight Outta Sanction…

Matt Friese was another early departure this summer. Nothing dubious from what I understand, just time to get on with life.

Looking forward to the changes in the Carlson Center this year. It was time...probably past time, actually...to shake things up on the game day experience. If they get rid of that stupid hit the road song for opposing penalties I'll be even happier.

Last year's team left something to build on...hopefully they do just that. But they are definitely skewed towards freshmen and sophomores. Should be exciting. Ferguson, in my totally unbiased opinion, should have gotten the WCHA COY award last year for not just holding the team together but thriving under the circumstances, and it'll take another season of strong leadership from the staff and whoever gets the C for sustained success.

Looking forward to seeing what these guys can do, and hopefully a trip to beautiful Grand Rapids on top of it.
    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Good catch Squarebanks.
      I forgot to mention the early departure of both Matt Friese and Jared Linnell. Good luck to both.

We definitively have potential. But like most teams, success will depend a lot on if the boys really got after it in the weight room in the off season, if the incoming freshman buy into the system and into the required work ethic (on the ice and in the classroom), and if one of our goal tenders can step it up and be consistently good.

Go Nooks!

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
        Good catch Squarebanks.
        I forgot to mention the early departure of both Matt Friese and Jared Linnell. Good luck to both.

We definitively have potential. But like most teams, success will depend a lot on if the boys really got after it in the weight room in the off season, if the incoming freshman buy into the system and into the required work ethic (on the ice and in the classroom), and if one of our goal tenders can step it up and be consistently good.

Go Nooks!
        Surprised to hear of so many leaving early. Especially Linnell. Didn't his dad play hockey for the Nanooks?
        Originally Posted by aparch
        I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
          Surprised to hear of so many leaving early. Especially Linnell. Didn't his dad play hockey for the Nanooks?
          Dad played hockey and Mom played volleyball for UAF. Good kid with some bad luck. I believe Jared struggled to come back from injuries/surgeries, and despite his best effort, never quite got back to where he was or needed to be. But I have no first-hand knowledge, I’m just repeating hearsay.

Comment

As usual, Nanook alumni are changing the world in a good way.

http://m.newsminer.com/sports/uaf_na....html?mode=jqm
            “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

It is well played.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                It is well played.
                The meme is rather dank.
                U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

More importantly, the sanction is basically behind us and the boys have something to play for. We have eight incoming freshman and a solid core of returning players.

We’ll miss the early departure of both Shawn Hochhausen and Colton Parayko. Shawn was a strong presence for us on the ice and a good student. Not sure of the circumstances, but I wish him well. Doesn’t look like they’ll be adding a forward to fill that spot. That leaves us with only 14 forwards. An injury or two and everybody gets playing time. Can’t say enough about what Parayko meant to our team, so I won’t. But a healthy Justin Woods would not only help offset the loss of Parayko, but just in itself would represent a huge comeback and successful season. Sure, we want all the wins we can muster, but some things are more important than hockey.

Here is a snapshot of the team right now:

And if you are as antsy as I am for the season to start, here’s what’s up first:

Sep 26, Sat, Blue/Gold game, 7:07pm at the Patty Rink
                  Oct 4, Sun, Mt. Royal University Cougars, 3:07pm at the Carlson Center
                  Oct 9-10, Kendall Classic in Anchorage, vs St Cloud St. and Arizona St.
                  Oct 16-17, Brice Goal Rush, Carlson Center, vs AIC and RPI

The Nooks are one of three teams to qualify (top four finish) for home ice in each of the first two seasons of the nWCHA. Let’s keep that streak going, along with a seventh straight Governor’s Cup.

Go Nooks!
                  You guys are sponsored by Apple? Luckyyyy
                  Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
                    You guys are sponsored by Apple? Luckyyyy
                    We're expecting Dr. Dre to make an appearance in section 105.

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                      * old people, correct response was section 213.
                      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                        * old people, correct response was section 213.
                        Niiiiice

Comment

I heard he likes to rap songs that fit his audience so I guess his set will include
                          Bad Breath, I hate to go to work, Puffin on blunts and Drankin Tangueray,
                          We Like Ugly Women, Stranded on Death Row, J.B. in In Jail. Big Butt Hip Hop Intro
                          , Dead A** Broke, Your Life Is a cartoon, And the F U Lady’s favorite……… **** You.
                          Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                          UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
                            I heard he likes to rap songs that fit his audience so I guess his set will include
                            Bad Breath, I hate to go to work, Puffin on blunts and Drankin Tangueray,
                            We Like Ugly Women, Stranded on Death Row, J.B. in In Jail. Big Butt Hip Hop Intro
                            , Dead A** Broke, Your Life Is a cartoon, And the F U Lady’s favorite……… **** You.
                            Nearly as good as the Anchorage version...

*****ez b tailgatin (If UR Gonna Ride My *** At least Pull My Hair)
                            Skanchorage
                            **** tha CSP
                            Bootlegger Crabz
                            Truck Nutz (Turning Left in the Right Lane)
                            420 E Street
                            Portland Wannabes
                            CLOUDY CLOUDY CLOUDZ
                            Expose Yourself (Mush Inn Remix)
                            Drunk at Noon (Puking in tha Parking Lot)
                            The Spenard Clap feat. Mr. Whitekeys
                            Last edited by Squarebanks; 09-07-2015, 12:07 AM.

Comment

Nearly as good as the Anchorage version...

*****ez b tailgatin (If UR Gonna Ride My *** At least Pull My Hair)
                              Skanchorage
                              **** tha CSP
                              Bootlegger Crabz
                              Truck Nutz (Turning Left in the Right Lane)
                              420 E Street
                              Portland Wannabes
                              CLOUDY CLOUDY CLOUDZ
                              Expose Yourself (Mush Inn Remix)
                              Drunk at Noon (Puking in tha Parking Lot)
                              The Spenard Clap feat. Mr. Whitekeys
                              You forgot the number one song sang in the homeless camps..................

"At Least They Didn’t Dispatch Me To _airbanks… When Banishment was handed down”.
                              Last edited by Alaska Hockey; 09-08-2015, 07:00 PM.
                              Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                              UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Working...
                              X