Ohio State 2015-2016 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State 2015-2016 Season

Last night Ohio State allowed several goals through defensive miscues in our zone. Parran couldn't clear the zone all night and kept turning it over at the worst time and place.
    Tying the game with .01 left on the clock was as exciting as you could hope for but our efforts in OT were pathetic.
    We were not playing to win, we looked tired and hoping to force a shootout. We were not mounting any kind of real attack with only one scoring chance and our defense kept dropping back instead of trying to keep the puck in the offensive end.
    Well when you don't go balls to the wall to take the win it invariably backfires on you and that's exactly what happened. Too many mistakes and lack of sustained effort.

Comment

It seemed like more of the same last night, aside from not being able to tie the game up in the third. I know we mounted a bit of a comeback in the third period to make the score look respectable, but that doesn't excuse the crappy play of the first two periods. No look passes (to no one), continued turnovers in our own zone, and we gave up an inexcusable short-handed goal. Frey let in a couple of goals that he would probably like to have back. Thankfully, there will only be two more seasons of less-than-mediocre hockey (please tell me we didn't give Rohlik more than a five-year deal), then the athletic department can non-renew and try once again to get the right guy in here to actually get this program moving forward instead of backward. Enough is enough. I'm growing weary of watching this program continue to go nowhere.
      Last edited by osualum86; 02-14-2016, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
        In everything but hockey ohio state fans are a bunch of ****** nozzles. However, I have met a few of them in person in addition to being respected here so I have no problem with ohio state hockey fans. Every one else that has anything to do with that "skool" can suck rocks though. Minnesota hockey fans are indeed bad though, not as bad as ohio state womens bouncy-ball but you still are !&*@$. Seeing as how we play you two more times but in Minnesota I'd prefer a cushion. I do not see a sweep of the goofs, heck winning one game there has proven to be unlikely. I am anything but jumping on the ohio state bandwagon. ohio state hockey receives absolutely zero support from the general ohio state community so I'm sure that old rickety pile of crap would fall apart if I hopped on. I would like ohio state to beat the goofs as it helps Michigan in the standings, and for them to beat sparty because I hate those evil little green gnats. Other than that I don't care.
        Other than having all the feelings in the world, you don't care. Got it.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
          It seemed like more of the same last night, aside from not being able to tie the game up in the third. I know we mounted a bit of a comeback in the third period to make the score look respectable, but that doesn't excuse the crappy play of the first two periods. No look passes (to no one), continued turnovers in our own zone, and we gave up an inexcusable short-handed goal. Frey let in a couple of goals that he would probably like to have back. Thankfully, there will only be two more seasons of less-than-mediocre hockey (please tell me we didn't give Rohlik more than a five-year deal), then the athletic department can non-renew and try once again to get the right guy in here to actually get this program moving forward instead of backward. Enough is enough. I'm growing weary of watching this program continue to go nowhere.
          Cant win only playing 20 minutes of a 60 minute game. The Defensive lapses are becoming an every game thing and its costing them. The defenseman allow the blue line way to easy and then back up to where they can be used as a screen for the shooter. Frey does go down into the butterfly way early at times. The other thing that bothers me is they never seem to be able to shoot around the opponents while the opponents seem to be able to find the shooting lane around our guys. When they figure out its a 60 minute game and play all 60 minutes things will get better but it is February so is that going to happen this year. Yes Rohlik got only a 5 year deal so he has 2 more years to figure this out but as i have said before they better make the tournament next year or they will be starting over.

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
            Cant win only playing 20 minutes of a 60 minute game. The Defensive lapses are becoming an every game thing and its costing them. The defenseman allow the blue line way to easy and then back up to where they can be used as a screen for the shooter. Frey does go down into the butterfly way early at times. The other thing that bothers me is they never seem to be able to shoot around the opponents while the opponents seem to be able to find the shooting lane around our guys. When they figure out its a 60 minute game and play all 60 minutes things will get better but it is February so is that going to happen this year. Yes Rohlik got only a 5 year deal so he has 2 more years to figure this out but as i have said before they better make the tournament next year or they will be starting over.
            Klbaum1077, couldn't agree more. For whatever reason, this team just refuses to play a 60-minute game consistently. It obviously cost them last night as they dug themselves a 4-1 hole that they were not able to get out of. I keep hearing the players and Coach Rohlik say the right things after games, but then they go out and make the same mistakes game after game. Your point about our team not being able to shoot around the opponents is spot on and was clearly evident on the power plays and our inability to get shots off there. I am not sure we're going to see this team consistently play 60-minute games. As you pointed out, we're in the middle of February, so if they haven't figured that out by now, not sure they are going to. I also agree that with all the guys we have coming back next season, this team should be an NCAA Team next season. If not, they need to cut ties with Rohlik and go in a different direction. OSU has enough money to buy out the final year of his contract and get this program moving forward (not backward).

Comment

I agrees the defense was crappy. As Klbaum said, allowing them across the blue line unchallenged and having WAY too much distance between them and The gopher shooters. We should have put the body on anybody bringing the puck into our zone with an open ice hit!
              Also too many times we would collapse inwards in front of our net allowing the gophers to cycle the puck like Indians circling the wagons looking for the right shot.
              I wonder if our conditioning is lacking? When we play hard enough to make a difference early on we run out of gas when we need it at the end.
              At the end last night was a FUBAR where we had numbers and were trying to work it like a power play. Guess what guys? In a normal PP there are 9 skaters on the ice, when you pull the goalie there are 11! Too many bodies to be passing the puck around successfully. You simply shoot and flood the net with bodies to screen, deflect and rebound! I saw at the end 3 of our guys bunched together at the blue line and the puck loose in front of them and nobody would shoot the da*mn thing! They kept pushing it to each other like "you shoot. No YOU take the shot. Not me, you do it!" Get the picture?
              Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 02-14-2016, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                I agrees the defense was crappy. As Klbaum said, allowing them across the blue line unchallenged and having WAY too much distance between them and The gopher shooters. We should have put the body on anybody bringing the puck into our zone with an open ice hit!
                Also too many times we would collapse inwards in front of our net allowing the gophers to cycle the puck like Indians circling the wagons looking for the right shot.
                I wonder if our conditioning is lacking? When we play hard enough to make a difference early on we run out of gas when we need it at the end.
                At the end last night was a FUBAR where we had numbers and were trying to work it like a power play. Guess what guys? In a normal PP there are 9 skaters on the ice, when you pull the goalie there are 11! Too many bodies to be passing the puck around successfully. You simply shoot and flood the net with bodies to screen, deflect and rebound! I saw at the end 3 of our guys bunched together at the blue line and the puck loose in front of them and nobody would shoot the da*mn thing! They kept pushing it to each other like "you shoot. No YOU take the shot. Not me, you do it!" Get the picture?
                I noticed that on our power plays earlier in the game ... lots of passing back and forth, but not much shooting. Hate to say it, but last night reminded me why I am not a season ticket holder for men's hockey and only go to some of the games. This team has just about become unwatchable, and there is no excuse for it three years into Rohlik's tenure here. Two constants in the Rohlik era ... inconsistency and lack of discipline, and there's no excuse for either at this point. Inconsistency + lack of discipline = lots of losses. That is what you are seeing with this program right now and as long as that continues, we'll continue to be less than mediocre.

Comment

Well that was embarrassing glad i taped it so I could fast forward it. This team is getting way to easy to play against. They either don't know how to create a shooting lane or are just to stubborn to move a few feet.

Comment

Well that was embarrassing glad i taped it so I could fast forward it. This team is getting way to easy to play against. They either don't know how to create a shooting lane or are just to stubborn to move a few feet.
                    Don't worry, you'll figure it out in a couple weeks...
                    Originally posted by alfablue
                    Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                    Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                    I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Friday's was a total FUBAR but at least today we were able to ruin Senior Day for Penn State!

Comment

Hello hello hello hello hello. Wow, it's so empty on this thread it's got a great echo!

Comment

Yesterday was a game of highs and lows. Scoring the first 3 goals and looking really good doing it set the start of the highs. Then came a low 4 straight Penn state goals had me thinking here we go again. Finally the ultimate high getting the last 4 to win it. One thing we know is this team doesn't quit and plays hard for the most part that's what made Friday night so frustrating.

Comment

The last period they were playing the way I was saying they should be all season. No more stick on stick defense, they were putting the bodies on the Penn State players to take them off the puck which resulted in us taking possession of the puck, beating them to loose pucks and being overall aggressive!
                            BTW, Logan Davis is out with injury and may be lost for the season which leaves us with 2 goalies.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                              Hello hello hello hello hello. Wow, it's so empty on this thread it's got a great echo!
                              Not 100% sure why this team isn't inspiring more passion, but I do have some ideas:

1. All of the B1G campuses have been slow to embrace the new league. Possible exception: Penn State.

2. Painfully long break between the Fall games and the balance of the season. Loss of fan momentum results.

3. Best games of the year were played in Florida, utterly unnoticed by 95% of the fan base.

4. Coaches and players are genuinely good guys who don't create controversy.

Regardless of the exact explanation, it's a shame for this reason:

...One thing we know is this team doesn't quit and plays hard for the most part that's what made Friday night so frustrating.
                              True on both counts. And the fact they don't quit means they deserve more support than they're getting.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                                Not 100% sure why this team isn't inspiring more passion, but I do have some ideas:

1. All of the B1G campuses have been slow to embrace the new league. Possible exception: Penn State.

2. Painfully long break between the Fall games and the balance of the season. Loss of fan momentum results.

3. Best games of the year were played in Florida, utterly unnoticed by 95% of the fan base.

4. Coaches and players are genuinely good guys who don't create controversy.
                                All of these are pretty much spot on.

1.) I hate the B1G CCHA killer.
                                2.) Going more than 2 months between home games in the middle of the season when your fan base is already relatively weak will hurt.
                                3.) I've met students who go to pretty much all the games that didn't know we even went to Florida. Most OSU students who cheer for the hockey team are just hockey fans, not necessarily college hockey fans, and as a result don't pay attention to anything that happens outside the Schott.
                                4.) Yup. You'd never hear their names on-campus unless you went to the games. This as opposed to the football and basketball players who have their faces plastered all over campus.

As for me, I expected us to be a lot better last year and ended up disappointed, so I've kinda gone into this year with a little bit more of a laid back attitude. Mainly focussed on seeing how the young guys develop. Mason's been a bright spot I think.
                                Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
                                University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

Working...
                                X