Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State 2015-2016 Season

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
    I usually don't do this here on the forum, so I apologize, but we are up against a deadline on this event. This is a copy and paste of an email I received today. The Scarlet Liners is just a facebook group of OSU Men's and Women's Hockey fans and alums. We are planning on taking a bus trip to East Lansing on Saturday 3/12 to watch the men take on Michigan State. The price is $51, which really isn't bad for a ticket and transportation. If we don't get more people to sign up, the trip will need to be canceled.

Hello Scarlet Liners!

The deadline to sign-up for the MSU trip on Saturday, March 12, is tomorrow, Friday (3/4) at Noon. Tickets and info still available at www.thescarletliners.org/events.

So far there is a big discrepancy between actual tickets sold vs those that have said that they are going on the trip. We're hopeful that this is just waiting until the last minute sort of deal.

In the event that there isn't enough interest in the form of tickets sold, we have one week to cancel the trip with the OSU Transportation Department with no cancellation fee. At that point our game tickets behind the OSU bench will be released to the general public and everyone that has signed up so far will be issued an immediate refund through Paypal.

Hopefully we won't have to experience that but I am prepared to do so as financially we can't send a half-full bus out of state. So, please tell your hockey friends and fans...we've got 24 hours to get this done!

Thanks and GO BUCKS!

Alumni & Fans of The Ohio State University Men's & Women's Ice Hockey Programs

Web: www.thescarletliners.org
    Email: thescarletliners@gmail.com
    Facebook: thescarletliners
    Twitter: @Scarlet_Liners
    Instagram: Scarlet_Liners
    I wish I could go and under normal circumstances I would, but there are more financial demands than usual this year so cutting back is required.

Comment

You may have noticed most of this season I've been hard on the team being the "bad cop" and now I'd like to go good cop for this post.
      We've seen a lot of inconsistency in the team's effort and energy lately and I'd like to say there may be reasons we really haven't gotten into - INJURIES!
      Coaches are like poker players when it comes to player injuries and keep their cards close to their chests so opposing coaches can't exploit our players weaknesses.
      Injuries happen to a varying degree to players throughout the course of a season and we've had FIVE MONTHS of playing so how many have been hurt so far?
      Are half the guys nursing some degree of pain or infirmity? Is one playing at 50%, another 80%, 30% and so on and so on?
      The question is here on forum WE DON'T KNOW!
      And the injuries don't always happen in games, Logan Davis is out with a knee injury from practice.
      Perhaps coach is doing what he can with what he's got healthy.
      If we knew all behind the scenes we could be correct in our criticism but we don't, so until after the season when it comes out let's be supportive as we can and GO BUCKS!
      Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 03-03-2016, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
        You may have noticed most of this season I've been hard on the team being the "bad cop" and now I'd like to go good cop for this post.
        We've seen a lot of inconsistency in the team's effort and energy lately and I'd like to say there may be reasons we really haven't gotten into - INJURIES!
        Coaches are like poker players when it comes to player injuries and keep their cards close to their chests so opposing coaches can't exploit our players weaknesses.
        Injuries happen to a varying degree to players throughout the course of a season and we've had FIVE MONTHS of playing so how many have been hurt so far?
        Are half the guys nursing some degree of pain or infirmity? Is one playing at 50%, another 80%, 30% and so on and so on?
        The question is here on forum WE DON'T KNOW!
        And the injuries don't always happen in games, Logan Davis is out with a knee injury from practice.
        Perhaps coach is doing what he can with what he's got healthy.
        If we knew all behind the scenes we could be correct in our criticism but we don't, so until after the season when it comes out let's be supportive as we can and GO BUCKS!
        Hey, I'm definitely still supportive, but as far as injuries go you could say that about any other team. Quinnipiac and UND suffer wear and tear same as everyone else. When we have lost players this year its mostly been due to suspensions, and that's kind of our own fault. I'm behind this team 100% but that doesn't mean we shouldn't expect more from a school which has the resources that we do. We should be able to put a winning team on the ice.
        Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
        University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
          I would love to be the game reporter for Ohio state on this site but i dont think they would allow me. I have taken Comp in college and know enough about this game to do the game report.
          I was a journalism major at tOSU, but I am not sure I know enough about the game.

Comment

I wish I could go and under normal circumstances I would, but there are more financial demands than usual this year so cutting back is required.
            It looks like it is going to get canceled anyway because we didn't get enough interest. I think $51 is a decent price for a ticket and a bus ride to and from the game, but I completely understand folks having other financial priorities.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye22 View Post
              Hey, I'm definitely still supportive, but as far as injuries go you could say that about any other team. Quinnipiac and UND suffer wear and tear same as everyone else. When we have lost players this year its mostly been due to suspensions, and that's kind of our own fault. I'm behind this team 100% but that doesn't mean we shouldn't expect more from a school which has the resources that we do. We should be able to put a winning team on the ice.
              I agree with this. Every college team has injuries, that is not unique to OSU and Coach Rohlik. I am also behind this program 100% and I am also aware that they don't get as much support from the athletic department as other programs, but that is no excuse to not put a winning hockey team on the ice.

Comment

Pgb-ohio, I have some thoughts on this, or at least some opinions. In regard to the hockey-specific sites, I am not aware that Ohio State has a hockey-specific site or I would certainly be there. I actually have a premium subscription to Ohio State's rivals site (Buckeye Grove), but it's all about football and men's basketball. I could never get anyone there to talk OSU hockey, at least not more than a poster or two. That is precisely why I came over here! Eureka, I finally found a forum where people are talking college hockey 24/7/365 (ok, 366 this year)!
                College Hockey is interesting 8 Days a Week. The Beat goes on.

In regard to item 2, I certainly hope we still have some younger posters as they bring a different perspective than us over-40's (ok, I'll admit it, I am north of 50, and I got my AARP card to prove it). You're only as old as you feel and as far as I am concerned, I'm still 29 (haha, yeah, right).
                I do think it's important, both for the forum and the program, to have fans of all ages. One thing we have going for us is that there are lots of young kids in attendance at the Schott. Childhood experiences are important for forming long-term loyalties. I actually worry that teams who have truly pricey tickets tend to cut the kids out of the fun. Think Buckeye FB, NHL. Watching on TV is all well and fine, but you just don't feel that close connection unless you're there in person.

I think I already answered item 3.
                Regarding the Scarlet Liners' Facebook Page: Is there any hockey talk on that? Or is it more of a photo exchange? Or maybe it's just for planning group outings; meaning logistical stuff?

Item 4, I am actually on twitter and get on every night to catch up, but I actually prefer sites like this one where I can write more than 140 characters! As you might guess, keeping it to 140 characters is a challenge for yours truly! Twitter has its place, and I do like twitter for updates on games that I am unable to attend, as well as .gifs or other highlight videos. But for really discussing hockey with other fans, I definitely prefer this forum to twitter any day.
                Makes sense. For me, USCHO updates scores fast enough. But I can see how a Twitter account would be an improvement in that regard.

In regard to your BTW comment at the end, I do not recall seeing anyone at the OSU Ice Rink recently who looks like they belong at an assisted living facility!
                Oh, I think everyone's in good enough health. Here's to hoping. Just a light hearted way to say that none of us long timers are getting any younger.

Hey, have you done your tribute post to the seniors yet, or is it too early after the end of the season? Hope you aren't dealing with a case of writer's block!
                No writer's block. Because that post will go on the Women's WCHA thread, I thought it appropriate to wait until after the WCHA Final Face-Off is in the books. You don't have much longer to wait.

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
                  I would love to be the game reporter for Ohio state on this site but i dont think they would allow me. I have taken Comp in college and know enough about this game to do the game report.
                  From Jobs at USCHO.com:

Volunteer Arena Reporters
                  Arena Reporters attend games and write recaps.
                  Interested individuals should contact editor@uscho.com and indicate location and writing experience.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                    From Jobs at USCHO.com:

Volunteer Arena Reporters
                    Arena Reporters attend games and write recaps.
                    Interested individuals should contact editor@uscho.com and indicate location and writing experience.
                    i am going to look into this for next year

Comment

Pgb-ohio, there is definitely some talk on The Scarlet Liners facebook page. The Scarlet Liners website handles announcements and logistical stuff. I am the unofficial OSU Women's Hockey correspondent for The Scarlet Liners fb page. I try to give little recaps and link stories when I come across them. There is quite a bit of hockey talk in some of the threads, mostly about the men's team. There is not as much chatter about the OSU women. Totally agreed that none of us are getting any younger!! I will be looking forward to your tribute to our seniors here in a few more days!!
                      Last edited by osualum86; 03-04-2016, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Well I guess we can scratch my post on possible injuries as a reason for our poor playing.
                        I heard from a VERY inside source today that all are healthy with the exception of Logan Davis.

Comment

Well I guess we can scratch my post on possible injuries as a reason for our poor playing.
                          I heard from a VERY inside source today that all are healthy with the exception of Logan Davis.
                          Don't sweat it, the Bucks dusted off Michigan tonight, 7-4! I didn't get the game on BT2Go, but I checked gametracker. Michigan scored the first two goals of the game, then the Buckeyes erupted for six unanswered goals. Michigan got a couple back to cut it to 6-4, then Ohio State sealed the deal with a late goal to end up winning it 7-4. That late one might have been an empty netter. It would be great if Ohio State could win Sunday. It's been a while since they have won two in a row.

Comment

Don't sweat it, the Bucks dusted off Michigan tonight, 7-4! I didn't get the game on BT2Go, but I checked gametracker. Michigan scored the first two goals of the game, then the Buckeyes erupted for six unanswered goals. Michigan got a couple back to cut it to 6-4, then Ohio State sealed the deal with a late goal to end up winning it 7-4. That late one might have been an empty netter. It would be great if Ohio State could win Sunday. It's been a while since they have won two in a row.
                            Ya this was a big win. I definitely didn't expect it. This team has been anything but consistent, so I'll temper my enthusiasm going into Sunday. But honestly, when talking about inconsistency, Michigan's gotta be right up there with the best of them. They still have to be the favourite to win the conference tourney, but I'd be pretty surprised if that defence and goaltender of theirs gets them past the first round of the NCAA Tournament.
                            Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
                            University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

Outside of the first 8 minutes that was the best game they have played since Christmas in Florida. First win at Yost since nov of 2011. Now the key is can they get this effort on Sunday and win the Season Series against Michigan for the first time in a very long time. Making this even sweeter is the fact that Michigan's chances for the league title are all but gone.
                              Last edited by klbaum1077; 03-05-2016, 12:15 AM.

Comment

Wish I could have been there but being a Friday it just wasn't possible.
                                I was told from this point on the boys are poised to make a run and last night it sure looked like it!

Comment

Working...
                                X