Ohio State 2015-2016 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State 2015-2016 Season

Well despite our defense's best efforts we came back to win 6-5 tonight. Another late goal saved us. Glad the seniors could go out (out of the Schott at least) with a win. Weis had a really good game with 3 assists. In spite of getting two assists himself, I was kinda disappointed with Gust tonight. He seemed to whiff on a couple of good scoring chances. I'm happy to take the win, but I'm definitely not filled with confidence for our home-and-home next week against Michigan. Also, is there a reason I didn't see Chris Lampasso out there tonight? He played last night.
    Last edited by Buckeye22; 03-28-2016, 06:35 PM.
    Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
    University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye22 View Post
      Well despite our defense's best efforts we cam back to win 6-5 tonight. Another late goal saved us. Glad the seniors could go out (out of the Schott at least) with a win. Weis had a really good game with 3 assists. In spite of getting two assists himself, I was kinda disappointed with Gust tonight. He seemed to whiff on a couple of good scoring chances. I'm happy to take the win, but I'm definitely not filled with confidence for our home-and-home next week against Michigan. Also, is there a reason I didn't see Chris Lampasso out there tonight? He played last night.
      I have no idea why Lampasso didn't play last night. He played Friday night. I am glad this team got a win on Senior Night, but I have no confidence in them to string together two or more wins in a row, which is precisely what they need to do to win the BIG Ten Tournament and get the league's auto bid to the NCAA Tournament. Guess maybe I have chased some of the other posters off with my negativity, although I don't see it as being negative, I see it as being a realist and not sugarcoating everything like the radio guys and our coaching staff do.

Comment

Friday night was almost as embarrassing as last Friday at Penn State may be even more. That Wisconsin team is not good at all probably worse than last year. I like the fact that this team doesnt quit but why wait until its 4-2 with 6 minutes left to start playing? Shootout choices were a bit of a Question mark as well. Saturday night what a rollercoaster of a game. I dont know how or what the refs saw on Wisconsin's first goal but i didnt see the puck ever enter the net. Can we please put Moser on the bench and only use 5 defenseman please. His effort all weekend was non existent. That 4th goal was all on him he let his man get behind him and then didnt even try and lift the stick or move the guy out from the front of the net. If this team could only figure out how to finish in front of the net they wouldnt need a come back each night. They had chance after chance in front all weekend and missed a bunch of chances to pad the lead both nights. On to Michigan week but as Strobel said on the postgame show with Herb and Mowet they better sure up the defensive zone mistakes or Michigan will take them to town. Its down to a 4 game tune up for Minneapolis and the Right to get last change against the Spartans on Thursday. Anyone going to Yost on Friday? If not ill see you on Sunday at Nationwide.

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
          Friday night was almost as embarrassing as last Friday at Penn State may be even more. That Wisconsin team is not good at all probably worse than last year. I like the fact that this team doesnt quit but why wait until its 4-2 with 6 minutes left to start playing? Shootout choices were a bit of a Question mark as well. Saturday night what a rollercoaster of a game. I dont know how or what the refs saw on Wisconsin's first goal but i didnt see the puck ever enter the net. Can we please put Moser on the bench and only use 5 defenseman please. His effort all weekend was non existent. That 4th goal was all on him he let his man get behind him and then didnt even try and lift the stick or move the guy out from the front of the net. If this team could only figure out how to finish in front of the net they wouldnt need a come back each night. They had chance after chance in front all weekend and missed a bunch of chances to pad the lead both nights. On to Michigan week but as Strobel said on the postgame show with Herb and Mowet they better sure up the defensive zone mistakes or Michigan will take them to town. Its down to a 4 game tune up for Minneapolis and the Right to get last change against the Spartans on Thursday. Anyone going to Yost on Friday? If not ill see you on Sunday at Nationwide.
          Klbaum1077, really enjoy your contributions on this thread! I don't like our chances against Michigan the way they are playing right now, even at "home" in Nationwide Arena. Michigan State is playing better and is not far behind us, so I don't see us sweeping that series. Are you going on the bus trip to East Lansing on 3/12? Mrs 86 can't make it so I will be flying solo for that one. She has to work the next day so understandably, she doesn't want to be out until 1:00 am the night before.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
            Klbaum1077, really enjoy your contributions on this thread! I don't like our chances against Michigan the way they are playing right now, even at "home" in Nationwide Arena. Michigan State is playing better and is not far behind us, so I don't see us sweeping that series. Are you going on the bus trip to East Lansing on 3/12? Mrs 86 can't make it so I will be flying solo for that one. She has to work the next day so understandably, she doesn't want to be out until 1:00 am the night before.
            Yes i am going on that Bus trip have to figure out a place for the bus to pick me up. You guys should come up to BG on the 11th for the playoff game i am going.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
              Truth.

But of course hoops has Saturday locked up...
              Very frustrating that no hoops games were shown on BTN Saturday night, BTN had a crew there Friday that could easily have stayed Saturday, and still no game.

Saturday night has actually been fairly hoops free this year on BTN (some wrestling, some Women's hoops). So, shifting the hockey doubleheader to Saturday might really be an option. But, I'm beginning to realize that those running the BTN are just incompetent. I think they are just lucky to have something it would take a lot to screw up (though they are doing their best).

Comment

Michigan week is here lets hope they can play 60 minutes of inspired hockey friday night and end that losing streak at Yost.

Comment

Yes i am going on that Bus trip have to figure out a place for the bus to pick me up. You guys should come up to BG on the 11th for the playoff game i am going.
                  I would love to do that. I have been bugging Mrs 86 (the BGSU grad) all season but with her schedule, it's hard to get up there on a Friday night, and unfortunately, it hasn't worked out for us to get up to a Saturday game. I love going to games up there. That is a great hockey barn they have in Bowling Green ... "the Madhouse on Mercer"! The atmosphere blows the Schott out of the water. Definitely a great place to see a hockey game. I am trying to talk the Misses into going up to Grand Rapids for the WCHA Final Five if BG is in the title game. BG has fallen in the pairwise to the point where they probably have to win the WCHA Tournament and get the auto-bid. Enough about the Falcons, though. Glad to hear you are going on the bus trip. I am not overly optimistic about our chances, although it is the Saturday game, so maybe we will get a W that night. Have fun at the BG playoff game!!

Comment

Michigan week is here lets hope they can play 60 minutes of inspired hockey friday night and end that losing streak at Yost.
                    That would be nice! Michigan State is right behind us so we need all the points we can get!

Comment

USCHO: A 40 & Over League?

Revisiting this; at least briefly:
                      Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                      Hello hello hello hello hello. Wow, it's so empty on this thread it's got a great echo!
                      Brought over from the Minnesota Gophers Season Thread:

Originally posted by Happy
                      I assume USCHO is going downhill because everyone younger than 40 is on twitter, or facebook, or something on their phone, as opposed to here.
                      Originally posted by Koho
                      ...I always thought a lot of us on here were over 40 already so immune to sudden tech changes. I can't figure out how to download apps on my flip phone, so I haven't got there yet.
                      Originally posted by Brenthoven
                      Ditto! And it's mostly due to team-specific sites. I post on GPL much more than here nowadays. I know SCSU folks and tUMD folks stick to their pages. MTU is still somewhat around, UND/WI are about the same, but WI is dropping drastically due to their crappy team.
                      So for those still here, what do you think? Specific Questions:

1. Does the Minnesota experience apply here at Ohio State? Or is the above just a "State of Hockey" thing?

2. That echo Hockeybuckeye's been hearing -- is it because the younger posters are largely gone?

3. Have a significant number of Buckeye posters, regardless of age, migrated to a team specific site? If so, which site?

4. Do most fans really prefer tweets to more detailed opinions?

The more I think about this, the more I find it troubling. When I hooked up with USCHO years ago, I thought it was great to be on a national board. Conversely, my pre-conceived notion was that team specific sites are predominantly pep rally material. In other words, of little use.

As for Twitter > USCHO: Seriously? I suppose trading one-liners has its place. But as a primary way to spend your time online? I've always thought it was too shallow, too self-limiting to be worth my energy.

Or, maybe I'm hopelessly out-of-date and need to catch up with the times.

Thoughts? On any of the above?

BTW, I appreciate everyone who still posts here. Don't worry, I'm not going to sneak out of the Assisted Living facility when no one's looking...

Comment

1. Does the Minnesota experience apply here at Ohio State? Or is the above just a "State of Hockey" thing?

2. That echo Hockeybuckeye's been hearing -- is it because the younger posters are largely gone?

3. Have a significant number of Buckeye posters, regardless of age, migrated to a team specific site? If so, which site?

The more I think about this, the more I find it troubling. When I hooked up with USCHO years ago, I thought it was great to be on a national board. Conversely, my pre-conceived notion was that team specific sites are predominantly pep rally material. In other words, of little use.

As for Twitter > USCHO: Seriously? I suppose trading one-liners has its place. But as a primary way to spend your time online? I've always thought it was too shallow, too self-limiting to be worth my energy.

BTW, I appreciate everyone who still posts here. Don't worry, I'm not going to sneak out of the Assisted Living facility when no one's looking...
                        I mean I'm certainly not over 40, but reading most of the threads I kind of get that impression. As far as I know there's no OSU Hockey specific site out there. I'm also not a fan of Twitter. I don't use it except to occasionally check scores when USCHO or the schools are a little slow at posting them, but I don't have an account. That said, ya, Twitter is wicked popular for most people my age, and any age really. I'm with you that it's shallow and just not that useful, but the vast majority seem to disagree.
                        Last edited by Buckeye22; 03-03-2016, 02:00 AM.
                        Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
                        University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye22 View Post
                          I mean I'm certainly not over 40, but reading most of the threads I kind of get that impression.
                          Up front, let me say I greatly appreciate the reply. Your thoughts are interesting. Perhaps even more importantly, just by posting you prove it's still possible for USCHO to attract a younger fan.

As far as I know there's no OSU Hockey specific site out there.
                          Discouraging. Suggests that it's not that fans are going somewhere else, it's that they're dropping out.

I suppose another factor is that we're a relatively small fan base to begin with. If Minnesota loses 25 posters, it's noticeable, but the team thread goes on as usual. Their series threads continue on as well, though with a dent in activity levels. But if we lose 10 posters, it has a huge impact on our threads.

Looking for a silver lining, maybe the lack of a competing site is a small plus. If the Buckeyes were to go on nice winning streak, maybe the "lost" posters would come home. Winning does cure a lot of ills.

I'm also not a fan of Twitter. I don't use it except to occasionally check scores when USCHO or the schools are a little slow at posting them, but I don't have an account. That said, ya, Twitter is wicked popular for most people my age, and any age really. I'm with you that it's shallow and just not that useful, but the vast majority seem to disagree.
                          Conceptually speaking, something like Twitter is useful for getting news flashes more quickly than anywhere else. But at least for me, with a news bulletin in hand, I'd want to go somewhere else for the rest of story, like USCHO.

Though once again, where else do you go? Not so long ago, OSU Hockey had 3 professional journalists following the team, game-in and game-out. Craig Merz is still at the Schott regularly, which is great. But Jeff Svoboda (Buckeye Sports Bulletin) has relocated to NW Ohio. As far as I know, Justin Boggs (USCHO Game Recaps) has moved on to other projects, and no longer covers Buckeye Hockey. Those departures might be more than a symptom, they might also be a cause of lessened interest.

Last but not least, the Lantern must be recognized and given credit for its efforts. But while important for those who are campus on a daily basis, its reach to larger sports community is limited.

Other thoughts?

Comment

I usually don't do this here on the forum, so I apologize, but we are up against a deadline on this event. This is a copy and paste of an email I received today. The Scarlet Liners is just a facebook group of OSU Men's and Women's Hockey fans and alums. We are planning on taking a bus trip to East Lansing on Saturday 3/12 to watch the men take on Michigan State. The price is $51, which really isn't bad for a ticket and transportation. If we don't get more people to sign up, the trip will need to be canceled.

Hello Scarlet Liners!

The deadline to sign-up for the MSU trip on Saturday, March 12, is tomorrow, Friday (3/4) at Noon. Tickets and info still available at www.thescarletliners.org/events.

So far there is a big discrepancy between actual tickets sold vs those that have said that they are going on the trip. We're hopeful that this is just waiting until the last minute sort of deal.

In the event that there isn't enough interest in the form of tickets sold, we have one week to cancel the trip with the OSU Transportation Department with no cancellation fee. At that point our game tickets behind the OSU bench will be released to the general public and everyone that has signed up so far will be issued an immediate refund through Paypal.

Hopefully we won't have to experience that but I am prepared to do so as financially we can't send a half-full bus out of state. So, please tell your hockey friends and fans...we've got 24 hours to get this done!

Thanks and GO BUCKS!

Alumni & Fans of The Ohio State University Men's & Women's Ice Hockey Programs

Web: www.thescarletliners.org
                            Email: thescarletliners@gmail.com
                            Facebook: thescarletliners
                            Twitter: @Scarlet_Liners
                            Instagram: Scarlet_Liners

Comment

Revisiting this; at least briefly:
                              Brought over from the Minnesota Gophers Season Thread:

Pgb-ohio, I have some thoughts on this, or at least some opinions. In regard to the hockey-specific sites, I am not aware that Ohio State has a hockey-specific site or I would certainly be there. I actually have a premium subscription to Ohio State's rivals site (Buckeye Grove), but it's all about football and men's basketball. I could never get anyone there to talk OSU hockey, at least not more than a poster or two. That is precisely why I came over here! Eureka, I finally found a forum where people are talking college hockey 24/7/365 (ok, 366 this year)! In regard to item 2, I certainly hope we still have some younger posters as they bring a different perspective than us over-40's (ok, I'll admit it, I am north of 50, and I got my AARP card to prove it). You're only as old as you feel and as far as I am concerned, I'm still 29 (haha, yeah, right). I think I already answered item 3. Item 4, I am actually on twitter and get on every night to catch up, but I actually prefer sites like this one where I can write more than 140 characters! As you might guess, keeping it to 140 characters is a challenge for yours truly! Twitter has its place, and I do like twitter for updates on games that I am unable to attend, as well as .gifs or other highlight videos. But for really discussing hockey with other fans, I definitely prefer this forum to twitter any day. In regard to your BTW comment at the end, I do not recall seeing anyone at the OSU Ice Rink recently who looks like they belong at an assisted living facility! Hey, have you done your tribute post to the seniors yet, or is it too early after the end of the season? Hope you aren't dealing with a case of writer's block!

Comment

I would love to be the game reporter for Ohio state on this site but i dont think they would allow me. I have taken Comp in college and know enough about this game to do the game report.

Comment

Working...
                                X