Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State 2015-2016 Season

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
    Not 100% sure why this team isn't inspiring more passion, but I do have some ideas:

1. All of the B1G campuses have been slow to embrace the new league. Possible exception: Penn State.

2. Painfully long break between the Fall games and the balance of the season. Loss of fan momentum results.

3. Best games of the year were played in Florida, utterly unnoticed by 95% of the fan base.

4. Coaches and players are genuinely good guys who don't create controversy.

Regardless of the exact explanation, it's a shame for this reason:

True on both counts. And the fact they don't quit means they deserve more support than they're getting.
    I would add to this that there is a lack of passion because for the past couple seasons, we haven't put a winning hockey team on the ice. Athletics are a results-based endeavor and if they aren't, let's quit keeping score and give out participation trophies. I am a hockey fan and was aware of what happened in Florida, but it's hard for me to get excited about an underachieving program that is now sitting in 5th place in the BIG Ten out of six teams. The success in Florida caused me to ramp the expectations up, and unfortunately, the team hasn't matched that performance yet, at least not for two games in a row as it did down there. It is also difficult when you see a program that was a club sport not that long ago pass your program up in a mere three or four seasons (Penn State is clearly ahead of us, that's not even a debate at this point). I am sure some will disagree with me and that is fine, we're all OSU Hockey fans here. For those who disagree, though, what should our expectations be for this program? At what point should we expect to have a winning hockey program or possibly make an appearance in the NCAA Tournament?

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
      I would add to this that there is a lack of passion because for the past couple seasons, we haven't put a winning hockey team on the ice. Athletics are a results-based endeavor and if they aren't, let's quit keeping score and give out participation trophies.
      Except that this comment clearly reflects a passion for the program! And you post regularly.

The question, if I understood Hockeybuckeye's post correctly, is where are all the other posters -- positive, negative, objective, whatever.

I am a hockey fan and was aware of what happened in Florida, but it's hard for me to get excited about an underachieving program that is now sitting in 5th place in the BIG Ten out of six teams. The success in Florida caused me to ramp the expectations up, and unfortunately, the team hasn't matched that performance yet, at least not for two games in a row as it did down there.
      If you're not in the top 5% of Buckeye Hockey fans, I have no idea who is. And again, you easily pass the "passion test."

It is also difficult when you see a program that was a club sport not that long ago pass your program up in a mere three or four seasons (Penn State is clearly ahead of us, that's not even a debate at this point). I am sure some will disagree with me and that is fine, we're all OSU Hockey fans here.
      Penn State has a better resume this year, no doubt about it. And of course Saturday's win doesn't change that. But last year, I felt we had bragging rights over PSU at the end of the season. And that was definitely the case in prior years. One year doesn't constitute a trend.

In sizing up Penn State's prospects in the years just ahead, I'd make a nervous comparison with how Northern Michigan started out. (I'm doing this 100% from memory, so I'll apologize in advance if some of the particulars are a little off.) Anyhow, when Rick Comley launched the D-1 Wildcats around 1976, he recruited a terrific core group of players up front. In 1980, they were part of a 5 team NCAA tournament. The program continued to contend throughout the 80's, ultimately winning a National Title in 1991. Since then they've kind of fallen back to the middle of the pack, but I think you'd say they've been a solid program throughout their history. If that's the track Penn State is on, maybe it will be challenging to keep up in the short term. By all accounts they do have a great building and a great coach. But I don't think such inequality is a foregone conclusion. I still foresee a nice rivalry between the two programs. The immediate question for PSU is how will they do once the "Original Nits" are graduated and gone?

For those who disagree, though, what should our expectations be for this program? At what point should we expect to have a winning hockey program or possibly make an appearance in the NCAA Tournament?
      This isn't Football; we aren't in position to simply reload and contend nationally every year. In hockey, other schools have that advantage. We're a bit of an underdog. At the same time, I don't accept that we're a have-not. Speaking only for myself:

1. Buckeye Hockey should always be respectable; and should contend for conference championships on a "regular" basis. At the same time, this program is going to have some rebuilding years. To suggest otherwise isn't realistic.

2. All six of B1G Hockey schools need to ramp it up and do much, much better in non-conference play. As a conference, we should be getting at least two at-large teams into the NCAA tournament every year. Meaning 2-3 teams should qualify annually. Getting only a single autobid team into the tournament is a major disappointment as far as I'm concerned.

3. Putting those thoughts together, I'd say that every OSU player should have the opportunity to play in the NCAA tournament at some point during their years as a Buckeye. I also like to think that in the long term scheme of things, special years like '98 will come along a bit more frequently. Meaning the team has a chance to do some real damage in the tournament, not just be happy to be there.

My two cents.

Comment

Passion is still there from me for sure I see almost 20 games a year and dont miss a Big Ten home game coming down from Toledo. This team has been close all year long they played a brutal non conference schedule which i think helped them prepare for the Big Ten. They played inspired hockey down in florida but they just havent been able to put back to back games together since. They have only won 1 game on Friday night all year long that reminds me of a few teams that Markell had in his last couple years. I want to see them gather some momentum in these last 3 weekends heading into Minneapolis. They are going to play Michigan State most likely on Thursday so that means 3 straight against the spartans. Get that first one and you never know what can happen they were so close 2 years ago just couldnt finish the deal. There isnt a dominate team in this league yes Michigan can score 5 on you but they will give you 5 as well. Lets start this weekend by beating a Wisconsin team that they should beat.

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
          Passion is still there from me for sure I see almost 20 games a year and dont miss a Big Ten home game coming down from Toledo.
          Your credentials as both a poster and a fan are beyond question. Like '86, you're in that top 5%. OK, top 1%.

The question I was addressing: Where are the other 95%?

Beyond what I've already said, another part of the explanation is simply message board dynamics. Nothing attracts a crowd like a good mud fight. A lunatic rant demanding the coaching staff be fired will also generate lots of activity. For that matter, a lunatic rant on most any subject will generate responses.

Look at it that way, and maybe the occasional echo isn't such a bad situation. That said, all of us who care about Buckeye Hockey certainly wish there was more buzz around the program.

This team has been close all year long they played a brutal non conference schedule which i think helped them prepare for the Big Ten. They played inspired hockey down in florida but they just havent been able to put back to back games together since. They have only won 1 game on Friday night all year long that reminds me of a few teams that Markell had in his last couple years. I want to see them gather some momentum in these last 3 weekends heading into Minneapolis. They are going to play Michigan State most likely on Thursday so that means 3 straight against the spartans. Get that first one and you never know what can happen they were so close 2 years ago just couldnt finish the deal. There isnt a dominate team in this league yes Michigan can score 5 on you but they will give you 5 as well. Lets start this weekend by beating a Wisconsin team that they should beat.
          Spot on.

I'd only add that I expect the Buckeyes to go St. Paul as the #4 Seed, and will be mildly surprised and disappointed if they don't. Getting the full complement of points against WI would be an excellent start, of course.

Comment

Pgb-ohio & klbaum1077, great points. I think maybe I misunderstood the question. I thought maybe it was in regard to the small crowds at the games, not necessarily just the small crowds here in the forum!

Comment

I've been referring mostly to the forum, but the two are interrelated. Large, excited crowds at the Schott would inevitably lead to more activity here on the board.

Comment

• Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                I've been referring mostly to the forum, but the two are interrelated. Large, excited crowds at the Schott would inevitably lead to more activity here on the board.
                One way to get better crowds is to get rid of the 630 start on Friday night's. Throw out the Michigan game because they bring a good crowd most times in here. The 630 starts are a pain for me to get here on time.

Comment

One way to get better crowds is to get rid of the 630 start on Friday night's. Throw out the Michigan game because they bring a good crowd most times in here. The 630 starts are a pain for me to get here on time.
                  Truth.

For the players, coaches and media, the early starts are desirable in some respects. But it's tough on fans attending in person, no doubt about it. Heck, I've been around long enough that I remember when the standard start time was 7:30 PM, not 7:00. Even that change was kind of hard on the fans, and tended to cause late arriving crowds. We may not be NYC or Chicago, but we do have a Friday Evening rush hour here.

I'm sure you know this, but the idea is that a 6:30 Eastern start, paired with an 8:00 Central start, creates a doubleheader for BTN -- with 2.5 hours for the first game. Now to state the obvious, it would be a much better idea on Saturdays. But of course hoops has Saturday locked up...

When this kind of issue arises, I've long wondered if short tape delays wouldn't be a better answer. In this case, you could start the first game at 7PM Eastern, followed by a 8:30PM Central broadcast on a 30 minute delay. I know that the TV people are absolutely obsessed with the idea of live programming. For that reason my suggestion is probably a non-starter. But would it really be that difficult for TV viewers to avoid spoilers if the delay was only 30 minutes?

And it could even be less than that. Most of the time you could start the Game 2 broadcast by 8:20. Why not schedule it that way, and just roll the tape a little later if Game 1 goes to a shootout? Then shave 5 minutes off each intermission. By the end of most games, it could only be a 10 minute difference.

Just a thought.

Comment

Heard we are losing a player or 2 tomorrow

Comment

Yell at BTN for those...
                      Originally posted by alfablue
                      Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                      Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                      I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

klbaum1077,

Greco, Dalrymple and Lundey will be honored in a Senior Night Ceremony before Saturday night's game. But that doesn't mean we're "losing them tomorrow."

I'm guessing you've heard something less cheerful.

Comment

Heard we are losing a player or 2 tomorrow
                          Any details?

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                            Any details?
                            I was sworn to secrecy until its made official

Comment

The last minute heroics are exciting for the fans, but we really shouldn't be tying this team. I think If we come back tomorrow and win on senior night by a few goals most people will forget about tonight, but our inconsistent play this year has really been ridiculous.
                              Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
                              University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

It was a tough game to watch and once again, this team needs to remember that a hockey game is 60 minutes long, not 20 or 30. Yes, as you correctly stated, we made it exciting, tying the game in the closing minutes, but we shouldn't have been in that position in the first place. Listened to the postgame on the radio on the way home. They said Ohio State is 2-10-1 in Friday games this season. It's just like you said, Buckeye22, if we win tomorrow night and salvage four points out of this weekend (against the last place team in the league), I guess people will forget about tonight's debacle. I honestly cannot figure this team/program out. They can't seem to figure out that they consistently need to play a 60-minute hockey game, and when I listen to the postgame interviews with the coaches, they can't figure out why we are not playing on Friday nights. My thought on that is if our coaching staff is that clueless that they don't know how to fix things, that tells me all I need to know about this coaching staff. Seems to me a certain NHL coach in this town couldn't figure out how to fix things and was gone after an 0-7 start. I guess if you are a men's hockey coach at Ohio State you get an entire season (or three ... or more) to figure things out. I'll end my rant now, but I agree with you, Buckeye22, the inconsistent play this season has been ridiculous, and we had no business tying this team, then losing a shootout. At what point does this program hit rock bottom, where they don't have anywhere to go but up? I think they are close to hitting that now with a home loss to the last-place team in the BIG Ten.

Comment

Working...
                                X