RPI 2015-16 Preseason Thread: To Dream the Impossible Dream

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RPI 2015-16 Preseason Thread: To Dream the Impossible Dream

Sorry Fishy, but coordinating bets over the internet and across state lines is illegal as per the Federal Wire Act of 1961, especially considering the volunteered mediator.

The poster hawthr actually has a good idea, perhaps it's the best way to go, and I will actually do this: If RPI actually makes the tournament (and I mean the NCAA one, not the EZAC one), I will make a donation to Rensselaer Union groups (including sports teams) of my choosing for a comparable amount, within comfortable limits. If there's going to be any butthurt about the name placed behind the donation, give a name, and I'll ensure it goes to the men's hockey pot.

Whine all you want, but everything said here, whether from you or me, is all talk. What matters most, in this case, is how the team performs in the upcoming year.
    Last edited by FlagDUDE08; 08-10-2015, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      I will give any betting poster 30:1 odds we don't even make the tournament.
      Hah, the real bet was how long it would take for you to weasel out of this offer. Blustery coward with no integrity is your reputation, did you live up to it?

I will actually do this: If RPI actually makes the tournament (and I mean the NCAA one, not the EZAC one), I will make a donation to Rensselaer Union groups (including sports teams) of my choosing for a comparable amount, within comfortable limits.

Ah, once someone actually takes you at your word, you back away. No more bets with anyone; suddenly?

gee, that didn't take long....

You have been called out for $600, $600, and $900 and suddenly your big man bluster turns to water. Not a surprise. If you even donate the $70 in bets offered to you, ....

[singsong voice]coward and a weasel, coward and a weasel [/singsong voice]
      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Sorry Fishy, but coordinating bets over the internet and across state lines is illegal as per the Federal Wire Act of 1961, especially considering the volunteered mediator.

The poster hawthr actually has a good idea, perhaps it's the best way to go, and I will actually do this: If RPI actually makes the tournament (and I mean the NCAA one, not the EZAC one), I will make a donation to Rensselaer Union groups (including sports teams) of my choosing for a comparable amount, within comfortable limits. If there's going to be any butthurt about the name placed behind the donation, give a name, and I'll ensure it goes to the men's hockey pot.

Whine all you want, but everything said here, whether from you or me, is all talk. What matters most, in this case, is how the team performs in the upcoming year.
        Oh, you'll be donating to the RPI Starcraft team? How sweet.
        Originally posted by moe24
        Thread over... REDRocket wins!!!

Comment

Originally posted by REDRocket View Post
          Oh, you'll be donating to the RPI Starcraft team? How sweet.
          Read the last sentence of the second paragraph again. That is all.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasma View Post
            Good idea. I will donate half my $600 winnings to the program.
            Before or after taxes?
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
              No more bets with anyone; suddenly?
              At no point did I say that. All I said was that the manner in which it was coordinated is unacceptable for purposes of legality. If you're so insistent upon this, you can come talk to me in person. You know where to find me.

And if you really want to play games on the amount, two can play that. I said 30:1. I did not say in what direction.

Comment

Trying to change the topic.

It looks like the weather in the CD (a.k.a. upstate NY ) for the golf outing with the team is much better than here in DC.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                  Trying to change the topic.

It looks like the weather in the CD (a.k.a. upstate NY ) for the golf outing with the team is much better than here in DC.
                  I'm tempted to state another can of worms has been opened, although it's not yet a USCHO tradition yet...

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUD View Post
                    ...[weasel welching underway]...
                    a liar and a coward, just as we've come to expect. stay classy!
                    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Met several of the newcomers today @ the golf outing. Tironese was the last one I talked to when I remembered () to ask about #’s. Sorry Ralph. Numbers have been assigned & ET will wear #11.
                      Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Couple items from the Golf Outing:

-Weather was beautiful. Nice to see the freshmen out there. Spoke briefly with Brady (is excited for the season, commented on how he had a good year when I brought up his gaudy junior stats) and Cam (welcomed him to the team and thanks for coming on such short notice, he chuckled).

-Two players were not in attendance this year - and we know how things have worked in the past with this (no weddings mentioned this time). Milos Bubela and Craig Bokenfohr were not there. From what I'm told, Milos is gone. Bokenfohr's absence may explain why there was a defenseman missing off the press releases this summer. They will be missed!
                        Proud founder of the First Church of RPI Hockey

Comment

I didn’t see Milos there but just thought I overlooked him. Hope he’s still with the Team. Shame if he’s not. 1 year away from that sheepskin. Edit; I say 1 year but I have no idea how well he’s done academically.
                          Last edited by turk181; 08-10-2015, 08:54 PM.
                          Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Today is 11 August 2015. There are 53 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 3 October 2015 for the start of next season.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by hawthr View Post
                              Couple items from the Golf Outing:

-Weather was beautiful. Nice to see the freshmen out there. Spoke briefly with Brady (is excited for the season, commented on how he had a good year when I brought up his gaudy junior stats) and Cam (welcomed him to the team and thanks for coming on such short notice, he chuckled).

-Two players were not in attendance this year - and we know how things have worked in the past with this (no weddings mentioned this time). Milos Bubela and Craig Bokenfohr were not there. From what I'm told, Milos is gone. Bokenfohr's absence may explain why there was a defenseman missing off the press releases this summer. They will be missed!
                              IMHO Bubela would be a big loss. B4, not so much.

Edit: I wonder if Cam's chuckle indicated that SA had long known that Dillon wasn't going to college and he (Hackett) had already committed unofficially to RPI.
                              Last edited by Ralph Baer; 08-11-2015, 02:44 AM.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Bubela is still in the RPI directory if that means anything. Dillon, for example, disappeared a couple of weeks after he decommitted. He is listed as a senior, so if he is having academic problems I wouldn't think they are severe.
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X