Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2015-16 Preseason Thread: To Dream the Impossible Dream

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    With half the junior class not in Troy during each semester of the academic year, RPI would need about 12.5% fewer teachers, dorm rooms, etc., for the same amount of students and thus could admit more students and get more money without an increase in resources. I think that is the real motive for this.
    Possible but they do push the idea of co-op or intern quite hard as it is. I would think it could really create a potential mess with housing.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
      Possible but they do push the idea of co-op or intern quite hard as it is. I would think it could really create a potential mess with housing.
      that could be a good thing for the economy of Troy, maybe the landlords near the school can upgrade their housing stock and rent to more students which helps the local storekeepers with more business, etc. if anything it will create a bigger demand for parking spaces on / near campus.

Kingston RI and the surrounding environs do very well because of URI, if I am not mistaken about 60% - 65% of all undergraduates live off campus after their first year. Academic rentals are quite reasonable because those houses would all remain vacant nine months of the year (the big money for them is the summer rental season). Parking is a problem under this arrangement since the school is much larger and the surrounding area much more spread out.
      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

In honor of Brady Wiffen and Katie Rooney, today is 12 September 2015. There are 21 days (3 weeks) until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 3 October 2015 for the start of next season.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
          From the article: "This will allow students to take advantage of the numerous co-curricular and experiential activities available off campus, including ..., internships, co-ops, research opportunities, and engagement in community service projects." I can easily see "research opportunities" and "engagement in community service projects" as a way to allow the juniors to keep playing hockey even if technically "off campus" but overall I agree, it will take some creative planning to allow that to happen. A business management major gets an internship with a prominent auto dealer in the area to study how they manage their day-to-day operations (surely just a coincidence that said auto dealer advertises at HFH!)
          I agree. The opportunities will be numerous. (Think private and public sector opportunities. Consider the competition for a solid Summer opportunity in your field; everyone's looking for one in the summer. Fall and Spring open opportunities. Be creative.) Ralph's point about the benefits to RPI (demand for dorms, faculty) should not be underestimated. And with fewer students creating demand for housing in Troy (some will find local opportunities and keep their housing), it should result in improvements for students. (More competition, less costly rents... or at least some of the poorest quality flats/apartments just won't be rented.)

Comment

In honor of Jimmy DeVito and Amanda Kimmerle, today is 13 September 2015. There are 20 days until RPI's next game.

Last edited by Ralph Baer; 09-14-2015, 12:54 AM.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
              This kind of co-op program is not unusual, and I'm kind of surprised RPI didn't already have it. Having actual work experience coming out of undergrad makes a huge difference when you're trying to get a job.

RIT requires two full semesters and a summer before students can begin their senior year and as far as I know, it doesn't affect their athletic programs. We're kind of behind on this one.
              When I did my co-op in Disneyworld my Junior year, Disney offered classes that were business oriented that could be transferred in. My advisor at the time said RPI would not accept the credits, even though the classes were taught by an accredited college. I wonder if RPI will do that for this program. Said advisor said I wouldn't be able to graduate in four years with my class, but, stupid advisor, I took classes at HVCC before I left and graduated in 3.5
              Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                I know that they don't introduce the kicking teams on tv, but it would be great to hear just one time, Andrew Franks, RPI.
                ....well, they didn’t say what school Franks is from only that he’s a rookie. Drives the opening KO through the end zone.
                Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                  ....well, they didn’t say what school Franks is from only that he’s a rookie. Drives the opening KO through the end zone.
                  It was mentioned it on an extra point. Then some dumb comments.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Franks with the PAT. Announcers correctly pronounced that he’s from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. Before kicking off after the PAT they said he’s from “tiny” RPI, a school of “brainiacs” aptly nicknamed Engineers.
                    Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Franks with the PAT. Announcers correctly pronounced that he’s from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. Before kicking off after the PAT they said he’s from “tiny” RPI, a school of “brainiacs” aptly nicknamed Engineers.
                      And becomes the first RPI football player to score in the NFL (as far as i can determine). Well done Andrew!!
                      Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Red Hawks.
                        And why did they do such a thing anyway?
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                          And becomes the first RPI football player to score in the NFL (as far as i can determine). Well done Andrew!!
                          And now has kicked his first NFL field goal. Congrats, Andrew!

Comment

Originally posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post
                            And now has kicked his first NFL field goal. Congrats, Andrew!
                            A 5 point day. Now if we can only have a few of our hockey players get a number of those this year!
                            Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

In honor of Mike Prapavessis and Marisa Raspa, today is 14 September 2015. There are 19 days until RPI's next game.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                Red Hawks.
                                And why did they do such a thing anyway?
                                Don't ask. After being in the Red Hawk costume for most of the two years they had him at football games, don't ask.
                                Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Working...
                                X