Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should UND fans wearing Fighting Sioux gear be denied admission to NCAA arenas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Should UND fans wearing Fighting Sioux gear be denied admission to NCAA arenas?

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    The Irish were not on the same level, and if that what was taken from my post, I apologize for not wording it better. However, the Irish were greatly prejudiced against, which led me to question if there are degrees to this. How much prejudice is enough to get rid of a nickname?
    The question presupposes the only people against the nickname are white people, while also ignores there isn't a movement of Irish descendants demanding ND make a change. Sometimes there is logic behind a cause and it's not always about pc run amok.

And for the record I think UND probably should have been left alone on this because I don't think the tribal members were unanimous in their position.

Comment

Re: Should UND fans wearing Fighting Sioux gear be denied admission to NCAA arenas?

This thread sucks. Not flaming on the creator, the whole topic is just very upsetting. IDK *** has happened in this world/country that this is even mentioned...
      I wanna go fast!

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
        The question presupposes the only people against the nickname are white people, while also ignores there isn't a movement of Irish descendants demanding ND make a change. Sometimes there is logic behind a cause and it's not always about pc run amok.

And for the record I think UND probably should have been left alone on this because I don't think the tribal members were unanimous in their position.
        The tribal members weren't, from all that I had read. Chief His Horse Farts Thunder didn't hold a vote, because while the elders were against the nickname, the tribal members were supporting it, and if a vote were held, the name would have stayed.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by UMD21 View Post
          This thread sucks. Not flaming on the creator, the whole topic is just very upsetting. IDK *** has happened in this world/country that this is even mentioned...
          Well said! I'm tiring of the few who seem to regard themselves as holier than thou pontificating at the rest of us. All in favor of this thread being put out of its misery, raise your hands.
          "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
            I think UND probably should have been left alone on this because I don't think the tribal members were unanimous in their position.
            perhaps adopting the nickname " Sisseton Wahpeton Fighting Sioux" or something similar, would be OK, they are the ones that approved the use of the name

for those interested in learning more:
            http://www.ndstudies.org/resources/I...cal_intro.html
            Last edited by pokechecker; 08-10-2015, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
              perhaps adopting the nickname " Sisseton Wahpeton Fighting Sioux" or something similar, would be OK, they are the ones that approved the use of the name

for those interested in learning more:
              http://www.ndstudies.org/resources/I...cal_intro.html
              I believe there is a clause where that would not be an option (I have suggested the "Spirit Lakers" or something similar, due to THEIR support for the nickname).
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I'm completely oblivious to everything you've said over the years about racism against aboriginal Americans. I fully have no clue that you've been commenting here regularly on this issue since it first arose. If I had known that then I'd already know that you're like one of two or three people in the USCHO community that take that side in this discussion. But I don't know any of that and so I'll just trot out the same questions and anemic arguments that were asked and answered dozens of times over the years.
                Yeah um welcome to 2008/09 and 2009/10 and 10/11 and ... I'm real effing familiar with the history and culture of the area. I've written more than a couple of times about virtually every single factor involved in this issue.

Here's the deal sparky ... NDSU got the good nickname ... rich white boys at UND were butthurt that Bison stomped on Squirrels. So they got the name changed to something that they thought killed lots of Bison. Of course, native americans never decimated Bison populations ... that was left up to the white man. The appropriate name would have been University of North Dakota Great White Hunters but doubtless those Original ********* rich college boys probably were ignorant of those facts. I would support that name. It's accurate.

Brenthoven:
                Yes. The degree of the acts in the name of racism matter. One could easily argue that there are no degrees of racism ... only degrees of harm caused by the racism. From that perspective then one might argue as you have. But what you're saying would still be moot. The anti-social, illegal and despicable acts perpetrated against Irish immigrants had nothing to do with race or ethnicity but instead were out of cultural prejudice. Wrong and unpleasant for sure ... but not on the same level. Want to actually honor the Lakota and Dakota people? Then politely borrow a symbol/name that they use(d) and revere(d). Here's three ... anyone of which would be appropriate and I'd fully support.

Thunderer (Wakinyan): Known in English as the Thunderer or the Thunderbird, Wakinyan is a powerful sky spirit of Sioux Indian legends. Wakinyan has the form of a giant bird, with wings that make the sound of thunder and eyes that shoot lightning. The Sioux Thunderbird is the mortal enemy of the horned serpent Unktehi.

Unktehi: The great horned serpent of Sioux mythology, mortal enemy of the Thunderbird.

Inyan: Primordial stone spirit of Sioux mythology.
                This board isn't the most racist place on the Internet. It's only the most racist place that I visit.

Comment

No. Do you really want to see Sioux logo body cavity searches as you enter a hockey game? In Duluth they smuggle brooms.
                  <Another Preachy and Annoying Signature>

Comment

In St. Cloud they smuggle crabs
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                      There needs to be a PC crowd to come out against a name. without a bunch of liberals ranting and raving about it, it doesn't matter how prejudicial something is.
                      Winner.
                      Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Where the hell did Donald get the idea that rich kids ever went to UND?

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                          everybody is rich compared to trailer trash

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                          blah blah ... blah blah blah
                          I see you are avoiding the fact that one of the Sioux tribes approved the name, and the members of the other tribe were kept from voting because an informal poll showed they approved it

and the NCAA, no doubt to stack the deck, let a tribe that isn't even Sioux vote as well, a tribe that is the historical enemy of the Sioux
                          Last edited by pokechecker; 08-11-2015, 02:07 PM. Reason: to the victor the spoils

Comment

Board, kill this dumb ****ing thread.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                              Relative to the 1920s populace? LOL ..

Comment

everybody is rich compared to trailer trash

I see you are avoiding the fact that one of the Sioux tribes approved the name, and the members of the other tribe were kept from voting because an informal poll showed they approved it
                                Sorry junior ... your history needs learnin. Nobody was kept from voting. There was no need for any vote. The dude made the call for the tribe as was his right. So, UND didn't get approval. End of story.

and the NCAA, no doubt to stack the deck, let a tribe that isn't even Sioux vote as well, a tribe that is the historical enemy of the Sioux
                                LOL ... you're funny. This has nothing to do with anything.

Comment

Working...
                                X