X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ruggiero heading into the HOF.

Surprised this has not been posted yet. From TSN:

http://www.tsn.ca/fedorov-lidstrom-p...class-1.321225

"Ruggiero is one of the most decorated players in women’s hockey history. Representing the United States from 1997 to 2011, Ruggiero won four Olympic medals including gold at the 1998 Nagano Games. She was twice named the Olympic tournament’s top defender, taking the honour at the 2002 and 2006 Games. Over her 14-year career, Ruggiero won 14 medals at the Olympic Games and World Championships including four gold and six silver at the Worlds. She becomes the fourth woman elected to the Hall of Fame as a player, joining former teammate Cammi Granato and Canadians Angela James and Geraldine Heaney."

[QUOTE=OnMAA;6175372]Surprised this has not been posted yet. From TSN:

http://www.tsn.ca/fedorov-lidstrom-p...class-1.321225

"Ruggiero is one of the most decorated players in women’s hockey history. Representing the United States from 1997 to 2011, Ruggiero won four Olympic medals including gold at the 1998 Nagano Games. She was twice named the Olympic tournament’s top defender, taking the honour at the 2002 and 2006 Games. Over her 14-year career, Ruggiero won 14 medals at the Olympic Games and World Championships including four gold and six silver at the Worlds. She becomes the fourth woman elected to the Hall of Fame as a player, joining former teammate Cammi Granato and Canadians Angela James and Geraldine Heaney."[/QUOTE
    Congratulations to Angela. Quite impressive company! The 2002 Red Wings were loaded.

Comment

Re: Ruggiero heading into the HOF.

Some local radio reports had Goyette in the running.

My guess is that the next one in is Goyette. Presuming that there is a similar wait time of 3-5 years as for the Men, Wickenheiser if she ever decides to retire, would be a shoo in down the road, but I could see the likes of Campbell, Hefford and Botterill getting consideration prior to that.

I presume there is a similar list on the US side with the likes of Potter, Wendell, Darwitz and Chu.
      Last edited by OnMAA; 06-30-2015, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Couldn't have happened to a better candidate! Congratulations! This was a no-brainer.

Comment

Fun fact....she was one of my goddaughter's freshman roommates, donkey's years ago.

Comment

What does she do for work these days?

Comment

Originally posted by Call It View Post
              What does she do for work these days?
              Wikipedia says she's a student at Harvard Business School and a member of the IIHF Athletes Committee.

Powers &8^]

Comment

I hope Harvard honors her during one of their regular season games next year. Possibly even retiring her number. She deserves it.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                  I hope Harvard honors her during one of their regular season games next year. Possibly even retiring her number. She deserves it.
                  Begs the question...Do college hockey teams retire numbers ?
                  (I think some do but not sure, if memory serves me correctly Kazmaier's number was retired at Princeton, but did not think this was a common thing in any/many places).

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
                    (I think some do but not sure, if memory serves me correctly Kazmaier's number was retired at Princeton, but did not think this was a common thing in any/many places).
                    So far, Harvard has retired only one number -- Billy Cleary's -- and his CV included not just undergraduate glory and an Olympic gold medal but also decades of coaching at Harvard (including winning a national championship and mentoring three Hobey Baker winners). So that particular bar has been set well in the stratosphere.

I keenly remember the emotion on the night his number was hoisted into the rafters.

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maria_Rooth
                      Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                        Rooth was a good one!

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
                          Dick Kazmaier's #42 (together with Bill Bradley's) was retired several years ago "for all Princeton sports," but I believe Patty K was #12, and that's still current.
                          Last edited by driventoit; 07-10-2015, 02:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Watson Rink View Post
                            So far, Harvard has retired only one number -- Billy Cleary's -- and his CV included not just undergraduate glory and an Olympic gold medal but also decades of coaching at Harvard (including winning a national championship and mentoring three Hobey Baker winners). So that particular bar has been set well in the stratosphere.

I keenly remember the emotion on the night his number was hoisted into the rafters.
                            Absolutely the best stickhandler in his college/D1 era. Standing still he could maintain possession with 3-5 young kids trying to get the puck away from him!
                            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Did they retire Mandi Schwartz' number at Yale? They've done a lot to honor her memory. Just wondering.

Comment

Working...
                              X