Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union College Dutchwomen 2015-16 thread

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
    I don't see him leaving his current post. Your last line is laughable at best. Do you have any idea what lead to his departure from Syracuse?! There are certain lines you can't cross with your players. Special is not the operative word in his case.
    No, I don't know why he left Syracuse. If you do...state it here...otherwise this kind of innuendo represents the worst of forums like this.

Comment

FYI. Local press;
      "Union College: Act like women's hockey matters By Mark McGuire February 23, 2016 www.dailygazette.com

Union College is bringing back arguably the worst coach in college hockey history — inarguably if you are going by the record.
      For a 10th season.
      A 10th season of not just losing, not just stunning losing, but historic losing.
      If you couldn’t care less about Union women’s hockey — and there is a good chance you don’t — you should care about this story. It’s about more than sports, and it casts Union College as a whole in an unfavorable light.
      The Dutchwomen finished 2015-16 with a record of 0-28-6, becoming the first Division I women’s hockey team ever to have a winless season. (The last time a men’s team went winless was Alaska-Fairbanks in 1980-81). Union also holds the Division I hockey record for most consecutive games without a win: 51 and counting, dating back to December 2014.
      Despite all this, Union athletic director Jim McLaughlin confirmed Saturday night that coach Claudia Asano Barcomb will return next season. Why? Part of it has to do with having one year left on her deal.
      “Claudia Asano Barcomb next [season] is going into the final year of a four-year contract,” McLaughlin told The Daily Gazette. “Claudia will be here. She is under contract until the summer of ’17.”
      McLaughlin would not reveal the terms of Asano Barcomb’s deal. He said the contract is part of the reason for her return, but added “that’s not the whole story.”
      Here is the rest of the story: After nine years in Schen¬ectady, she is 36-236-32 overall (.171 winning percentage). Her teams are 9-169-20 in ECAC Hockey. Her Dutchwomen have never won more than nine games in a season. Asano Barcomb’s winning percentage is by far the worst among active Division I coaches with her experience, and no coach all-time who has coached as many games as her has won anywhere near as few.
      “There is no doubt that I, as well as Claudia, are disappointed about this past season,” McLaughlin said.
      Well, that’s . . . something.
      The fact that this coach has not been replaced before, and is not being bought out and replaced now, is no longer just a hockey issue, no longer just a sports issue. It goes to something much deeper.
      Her school bio page is filled with the good works she and her teams have undertaken, which is great. That aspect should be part of the collegiate sports experience.
      So should winning, at least at the Division I level. And if Asano Barcomb is not fired after this historically bad season amid a historic winless streak, Union College leaves itself open to prima facie charges that it views women’s sports in a lesser light than men’s.
      You can’t create a two-tiered system that leaves the impression the administration cares about men’s sports and doesn’t about women’s. Intent or not, that is the result. Players are left to suffer through careers of losing because the administration won’t be bothered to make a coaching change. Apparently, the issue here is money. That is the impression left. Play your games, girls, while we concentrate on the boys.
      Wait: If they don’t fire a female coach, the school is being sexist, you ask? McLaughlin dismisses the notion. He shouldn’t.
      If they don’t fire the coach with the worst record in college hockey history (look it up), it sends a message that women’s sports don’t matter, that female athletes don’t matter, that their experience — and, yes, winning is part of that experience — is irrelevant.
      Protest all you want, Union College. But answer this question:
      Would a coach of a men’s hockey team keep his job with this record?
      McLaughlin said he couldn’t answer that question with certainty.
      “Possibly, possibly not,” he said Saturday. “We assess a number of things.”
      Granted, there is not much he could say given the circumstances, but that answer is laughable/absurd on its surface. Of course a coach of the men’s hockey team would have been axed — in fact, long before his record got this bad.
      The same question was posed to college President Stephen Ainlay, who, through a spokesman, stated support for McLaughlin rather than answer directly.
      “Coaching personnel and athletic policies are the primary responsibility of the athletic director,” Phil Wajda, director of media and public relations, said in a written response. “President Ainlay has confidence in the decisions being made and supports the goals of the department.”
      Through the athletic department, Asano Barcomb declined an interview request.
      There are excuses, which McLaughlin has trotted out for years in defense of the coach: There has been incremental progress; ECAC Hockey is one of the best conferences in the country; the talent pool for women’s hockey is shallower than the men’s game; the team has always been a proactive force for good in the community. All well and good.
      Then there’s losing. When is enough enough?
      Union just “retired” a long-time Division III football coach in John Audino, who had a history of winning before his program fell off a cliff in recent years, capped by a winless 2015. A defensible move, even if his departure could have been handled better than a press release/no comment.
      But this is Division I, where the resources allocated are more extensive — as should be the expectations. What are you saying here to the women on campus? To future recruits and their parents? To players on the team? Come here for four years. You won’t win, and we don’t care if you do, but at least you get to skate under the men’s national championship banner.
      The sad part is there is talent on this team that just can’t score. (The Dutchwomen did not put up more than two goals in any game this season.) Melissa Black, just a freshman, is one of the best goaltenders in college hockey. With another 50-save game Saturday in a loss to Princeton, she finished with 1,111 for the season, sixth on the all-time NCAA list. That’s one ahead of Shenae Lundberg, who made 1,110 saves for the Dutchwomen last year.
      That’s not even Union’s record: Lundy Day made 1,181 saves for Union during the 2008-09 season.
      All in this era of epic losing.
      Yes, this is a hockey story. But it is much, much more."

Comment

Instead of quoting the below article (how about just a link to the article?), there are a couple of points that stand out.

1. The AD stating that Asano-Barcomb is back because she is under contract for one more season. Hmm. His explanation reeks of "this is it for her and we're not renewing her deal. We know it and she knows it".

2. When asked if the men's coach would survive with the same record, McLaughlin replied "Possibly, possibly not." Yeah right. Please. No men's coach would survive with this type of futility. Does he really think Union fans are simpletons? The level of disrespect for women's hockey just seems to keep going up at Union.

Comment

Sadly, next year could be an even bigger embarrassment for Union than this year was. The graduating class accounted for 18 of their 25 goals this year, meaning that the returning players accounted for a mere 7 goals ! Surprisingly, they do have one incoming recruit with goal scoring capability, but it still looks like the combination of complete lack of offence and a lame duck coach could result in an even tougher year than the one just witnessed.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
            Instead of quoting the below article (how about just a link to the article?), there are a couple of points that stand out.

1. The AD stating that Asano-Barcomb is back because she is under contract for one more season. Hmm. His explanation reeks of "this is it for her and we're not renewing her deal. We know it and she knows it".

2. When asked if the men's coach would survive with the same record, McLaughlin replied "Possibly, possibly not." Yeah right. Please. No men's coach would survive with this type of futility. Does he really think Union fans are simpletons? The level of disrespect for women's hockey just seems to keep going up at Union.
            Agree 100%. He is clearly afraid of letting her go early in case she pulls some sort of Shannon Miller move and files a lawsuit of some kind. He's taking the very safe road out by letting her fulfill her full contract term but rest assured that will be the end for her at Union and probably in the world of college coaching too. He is merely allowing her to go through the motions by letting her keep her job through next season.

Comment

• Originally posted by shelfit View Post
              Agree 100%. He is clearly afraid of letting her go early in case she pulls some sort of Shannon Miller move and files a lawsuit of some kind. He's taking the very safe road out by letting her fulfill her full contract term but rest assured that will be the end for her at Union and probably in the world of college coaching too. He is merely allowing her to go through the motions by letting her keep her job through next season.
              I don't think they are concerned about her pulling a Shannon Miller. They simply don't want to buy her out of the contract because they'll end paying two salaries this season and that isn't in the budget.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
                I don't think they are concerned about her pulling a Shannon Miller. They simply don't want to buy her out of the contract because they'll end paying two salaries this season and that isn't in the budget.
                I agree that this is a much more likely scenario.
                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                  I agree that this is a much more likely scenario.
                  Finances rule.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
                    Finances rule.
                    Except in men's hockey where winning is an important factor. It would be nice if it was the same in women's hockey. Lot of lame duck coaches out there in D1 and D3.

Comment

Except in men's hockey where winning is an important factor. It would be nice if it was the same in women's hockey. Lot of lame duck coaches out there in D1 and D3.
                      Care to name them?

Comment

Women's hockey doesn't generate enough revenue to justify buying out coach contracts. That's why lots of coaches are on year to year contracts.

Comment

Originally posted by hab View Post
                          Sadly, next year could be an even bigger embarrassment for Union than this year was. The graduating class accounted for 18 of their 25 goals this year, meaning that the returning players accounted for a mere 7 goals ! Surprisingly, they do have one incoming recruit with goal scoring capability, but it still looks like the combination of complete lack of offence and a lame duck coach could result in an even tougher year than the one just witnessed.
                          Ouch. One wonders how many potential recruits who were considering Union looked at Asano-Barcomb's record and wondered to themselves if she will survive their four years at the school. Getting a quality education is of course the priority but if playing D-1 hockey is also a priority for all four years, I can't help but think that some of the recruits looked for more stable coaching situations. There are no guarantees in this business but still...

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                            Ouch. One wonders how many potential recruits who were considering Union looked at Asano-Barcomb's record and wondered to themselves if she will survive their four years at the school. Getting a quality education is of course the priority but if playing D-1 hockey is also a priority for all four years, I can't help but think that some of the recruits looked for more stable coaching situations. There are no guarantees in this business but still...
                            Are you kidding me?! If any parents of potential recruits read that article they might be more inclined to tell their daughters to commit to Union knowing that she's only got one more year on her contract. She's definitely gone after next year. There's no question about that which means there will be a new coach the season after next so they'd have three years under a fresh new approach and attitude. That's something to get excited about. Plus the new coach would not be able to clear house in those three years so you'd be guaranteed to play for four years.
                            Last edited by shelfit; 03-17-2016, 09:35 PM.

Comment

I would certainly hope that the optimism she is going to be replaced is correct BUT this AD gave Asano-Barcomb a new 4 year contract after a six year record with a winning percentage of under .15. At this point I don't see why they have retained this AD unless Union truly doesn't care enough about having a sexist reputation. Maybe they are trying to justify keeping this coach because she is a woman? If so that is an even worse situation to me.
                              "It's a great day for hockey." Badger Bob Johnson

Comment

• Originally posted by ushockey View Post
                                I would certainly hope that the optimism she is going to be replaced is correct BUT this AD gave Asano-Barcomb a new 4 year contract after a six year record with a winning percentage of under .15. At this point I don't see why they have retained this AD unless Union truly doesn't care enough about having a sexist reputation. Maybe they are trying to justify keeping this coach because she is a woman? If so that is an even worse situation to me.
                                This seems a classic Title IX issue. Right from the days of its inception. Yale rowing team being treated like second class to the men.

Comment

Working...
                                X