Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UND new nickname

The UND nickname committee has been busy. http://und.edu/nickname/

If you want to suggest a nickname, you're probably too late.

My quick perusal of the combined 63 nickname suggestions with rationale suggests that the top two picks are: (1) no nickname at all is the preferred option (for petty, whiny excuse that "if we can't be the Fighting Sioux, we don't want any nickname"), then (2) a return to their nickname that preceded the Sioux: The Flickertails.

Being a traditionalist, I'd like to see them return to their Flickertails roots. Not as hip as the U.C. Santa Cruz Banana Slugs, but this isn't about hipness its about tradition!

Re: UND new nickname

Originally posted by AggiesHockey View Post

My quick perusal of the combined 63 nickname suggestions with rationale suggests that the top two picks are: (1) no nickname at all is the preferred option (for petty, whiny excuse that "if we can't be the Fighting Sioux, we don't want any nickname"), then (2) a return to their nickname that preceded the Sioux: The Flickertails.

Being a traditionalist, I'd like to see them return to their Flickertails roots. Not as hip as the U.C. Santa Cruz Banana Slugs, but this isn't about hipness its about tradition!
    Abdominal Snowmen
    That's a typo, right?
    Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by AggiesHockey View Post

How about the Fighting American's! Where is this country going? bullied by people that have no nuts and were probably bullied in high school themselves. Leave our country alone...better than that, LEAVE OUR COUNTRY!!!

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
        That's a typo, right?
        Believe it or not, but no, it's not a typo.
        FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Knight View Post
          How about the Fighting American's! Where is this country going? bullied by people that have no nuts and were probably bullied in high school themselves. Leave our country alone...better than that, LEAVE OUR COUNTRY!!!
          Who has the Ted to English dictionary?

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
            That's a typo, right?
            It was one of many. Obviously didn't make top 15 which is now down to top 7. Rough riders is the early favorite as far as names go. North Dakota is what most folks want.
            Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Originally posted by icehawk View Post
              It was one of many. Obviously didn't make top 15 which is now down to top 7. Rough riders is the early favorite as far as names go. North Dakota is what most folks want.
              I like Fighting Frackers
              Last edited by brookyone; 06-17-2015, 09:16 AM. Reason: pokey's not well. Posted without calling anyone a stupid bonehead d u m b a s s like adults typically do
              Minnesota Hockey

Comment

It’s interesting to look at their process and it is obvious some committee members are using the scoring system to sway the results to their benefit. http://und.edu/university-public-aff...me/6-15-15.cfm

One member gives 16 points difference between his/her favored and unflavored when there are only 18 points possible. Look at the score sheet http://und.edu/university-public-aff...ng-filters.pdf and you can see this would be an unlikely score, in fact there shouldn't be much difference between the top and bottom. There is another with a 12 point difference.
                Here are the differences:
                5-1 person
                6-2
                7-2
                8-2
                9-2
                12-1
                16-1
                This makes the average difference 9.3, while the mean is 8
                If you throw out the 2 out liers (intended) Roughriders drops to mid pack while North Stars becomes the clear favorite and North Dakota climbs to one of the top contenders rather than being the least favorite
                It is clear these 2 people do not want North Dakota to become the name and are using the voting system to try to do their best to see that it doesn’t.
                Last edited by pokechecker; 06-17-2015, 09:02 AM. Reason: how's Brooky feeling today?

Comment

Holy crap, I see Flickertails isn't even being ranked by the committee, despite a very strong showing in the public comments.

Ted's onto somethin'. Some bully nuked Flickertails, and nobody had the nuts to stand up & honor North Dakota's heritage. Travesty.

Comment

How about follow what some MIAC schools do and call them the Dakoties, like the Auggies, Johnnies, etc. Dartmouth already has Big Green or else that would be a good option. Green Goblins? Ninja Turtles? Prairie Dogs? Fighting Frogs? Bumps on Logs? Sorry, just rhyming now.

Comment

Fighting Dakota. They could tell the NCAA that it is paying homage to the state, while really it would be little different than Fighting Sioux, because the Dakota are a subculture of the Sioux. I don't think the NCAA has jurisdiction to make No. Dak. change the name of its state.
                      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Knight View Post
                        SERIOUSLY! These Native Americans need to leave our country alone and GIT OUT
                        Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                        Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                        Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Working...
                        X