This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Hockey: Summer 2015 on the Stillwater

Who cares? Only thing that matters is standings and maybe later PWR and for that theyre 0-0-2. Which is better than 0-2-0 I suppose.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
    43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
    104-47-14 (.669) in that time
    3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

In the big picture what matters is Portland supported college hockey. If Maine was in a regional Portland would fill the Cross Arena, time to bid the 2018 regional.
      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

The tournament format:
        Regulation win - 4 points
        OT Win - 3 points
        SOW - 2 points
        SOL - 1 point

North Dakota and Michigan State both had 5 points. Maine had 4. North Dakota wins based on fewest goals allowed. It was as much a shock to them as it was to everyone. The players didn't even know until the organizers gave Brad Berry the trophy in the locker room. The usual on-ice festivities were abruptly canceled because if after seeing with their own eyes Maine defeat both Michigan State and North Dakota it would have gone over like a fart in church if they had presented North Dakota with the trophy at center ice. It's also unusual for the tournament MVP to come from the 3rd place team.

Comment

All the shootout accomplished was enabling fans and players of the winning team to feel good about themselves.

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
            The tournament format:
            Regulation win - 4 points
            OT Win - 3 points
            SOW - 2 points
            SOL - 1 point

North Dakota and Michigan State both had 5 points. Maine had 4. North Dakota wins based on fewest goals allowed. It was as much a shock to them as it was to everyone. The players didn't even know until the organizers gave Brad Berry the trophy in the locker room. The usual on-ice festivities were abruptly canceled because if after seeing with their own eyes Maine defeat both Michigan State and North Dakota it would have gone over like a fart in church if they had presented North Dakota with the trophy at center ice. It's also unusual for the tournament MVP to come from the 3rd place team.
            Maybe someone else can confirm this, but I'm pretty sure the announcer said after the game Friday Maine and North Dakota would play for the title Saturday night. After hearing that I just assumed Maine had won it after they won the shootout. I wonder if the players and coaches knew what was going on. The whole thing is very bizarre and also the fact that they would pick McGovern MVP.
            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
              Maybe someone else can confirm this, but I'm pretty sure the announcer said after the game Friday Maine and North Dakota would play for the title Saturday night. After hearing that I just assumed Maine had won it after they won the shootout. I wonder if the players and coaches knew what was going on. The whole thing is very bizarre and also the fact that they would pick McGovern MVP.
              Game pairings were determined throughout the tournament before it began. The coaches knew the format.

Comment

• Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                Game pairings were determined throughout the tournament before it began. The coaches knew the format.
                I wonder why they didn't announce before the shootout that North Dakota had won the tourney then. It seems it was handled in a very odd fashion.

The important thing is though that Maine played very well this weekend and it looks like things are finally headed in the right direction. It's nice to see an entire group of freshmen actually look like legitimate DI players.

Comment

I think a couple of important things came out of this weekend. First is three of the four teams came away pretty happy about the way they played... Not sure about LSSU. Second is that Portland just knocked this one out of the ball park as a host. An ideal setting among numerous restaurants, bars and shops. Having some beers at the block party listening to some bands on a beautiful day I thought it doesn't get much better than this.
                  sure why not

Comment

Originally posted by all bear View Post
                    I think a couple of important things came out of this weekend. First is three of the four teams came away pretty happy about the way they played... Not sure about LSSU. Second is that Portland just knocked this one out of the ball park as a host. An ideal setting among numerous restaurants, bars and shops. Having some beers at the block party listening to some bands on a beautiful day I thought it doesn't get much better than this.
                    Agree totally about P-town and hosting this tourney. The band Finding Newman was excellent, weather was great, beer at $5 was reasonable and the Cross Center gets 3 claps for allowing you to leave between games, Bingas must love it as well

Had zero expectations this yr and came real close to giving up season tix after 20yrs, feel pretty good that I didn't.
                    I know it's early but great weekend overall.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                      Red shortened bench, no Perez or tegeler as game went on.
                      Becker also.

Now I'm not thinking this team is NCAA tourney bound based on the results of these two games, but i will say, I'm not at all concerned about our goaltending. McGovern or Morris. Comments about McGovern giving up rebounds, and yeah, in the third there were a few, but all in all, I thought he was a sponge. Especially when you compare his play to that which we've seen over the past five or six seasons.

This team looked more like Red's first season team, and not last year's. They hustled, they scrapped for the puck, and if they gave it up, they went right after the other guy to try and get it back. Definitely looked more physical. Defense looked better, but they're still plagued by a lot of the things they've had issues with the past few years. Clearing the D zone, putting the puck into safe places, putting the puck right on the other guy's stick. It's frustrating, cause it''s a two-edged sword. Sometimes, they have time, and can be patient and make a better option, but they rush it and make a bad play. Other times, they overhandle the puck, giving the defenders time to get into position to block their pass, or steal the puck. I can't count the number of times they had opportunities to clear the puck and didn't, resulting in turnovers and good scoring opportunities for the other team. But they were outstanding at clearing the puck out of danger spots the later half of the ND game. Hopefully practice and experience will only make them better.

Liked what I saw of the freshmen. I think Robbins is gonna be a real good player, and I liked what I saw of Perez and Gibson also, Gib's penalties notwithstanding. I thought Becker was more solid than Michel, but I confess i didn't really watch Michel that closely.

Schurhammer's got a nice little snap shot on the PP unit though. And that play Brown made on Byron's goal might have been the niftiest little thing we've seen since Nyquist left. .
                      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

It's nice to finally have some optimism about a Maine team. It's been a long frustrating road. Based on what I saw if they continue to improve thru the 1st half....which they should.....then they'll be in the conversation come March. Good test coming up this weekend. Which leads me to a beef I have. I don't understand why the Hockey team is on the road for HC weekend. Makes no sense to me.

Comment

Originally posted by all bear View Post
                          Agree, we went up for Saturday's games. Great hockey in a nice location; we came up to see the Midwestern teams, especially ND, but Maine looks like an improved team, and came on strong in the third period after being outplayed the first two. Hate shootouts, and a three shot shootout is ridiculous. Had no idea that ND won the tournament, not that it matters.

Comment

• Now it's on to Union, going to be tough games on the road. They crushed maine at alfond last year. Morris on friday but who knows on saturday
                            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                              Now it's on to Union, going to be tough games on the road. They crushed maine at alfond last year. Morris on friday but who knows on saturday

The Dutchmen had an interesting weekend, tying Sacred Heart (where the worst manager in Red Sox history is an AD) before knocking off BU. Should be a tough but hard-fought serious and hopefully Maine can get out of upstate N.Y. with one W

Comment

• Originally posted by BBDiehard14 View Post
                                The Dutchmen had an interesting weekend, tying Sacred Heart (where the worst manager in Red Sox history is an AD) before knocking off BU. Should be a tough but hard-fought serious and hopefully Maine can get out of upstate N.Y. with one W
                                Unfortunately I don't think Bobby V is anywhere near the worst. Butch Hobson and Joe Kerrigan were much, much worse and I'm sure there have been others.

I would be absolutely thrilled with a split. It will be interesting to see if Romeo gets a start. Apparently he didn't dress last weekend because he was sick.

Comment

Working...
                                X