Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2015 Offseason - Future Planning ...or Just Rearranging the Deck Chairs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bomberhockey View Post
    The ship is Listing!
    Oh? Say it ain't so...don't know if I can handle another fun start to the season...that hasn't even started yet!!! Somebody cue the Jaws music...
    Last edited by HockeyRef; 08-21-2015, 06:08 PM.
    I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2015 Offseason - Future Planning ...or Just Rearranging the Deck Cha

Only 50 days before AIC opens the season at Lake Whitt; do not dismiss the pesky Yellow Jackets.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
        Only 50 days before AIC opens the season at Lake Whitt; do not dismiss the pesky Yellow Jackets.
        Yay!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
          I believe AIC is the alma mater of former coach Chris Serino. A good man gone too soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Russthom View Post
            I believe AIC is the alma mater of former coach Chris Serino. A good man gone too soon.
            Good point. Serino graduated AIC in 1971, year before Umile graduated UNH; I believe that they played against one another in high school. Then Serino was an assistant coach at UNH for six years in the early 90s, before becoming head coach at Merrimack for seven years. His all-HEA (second team?) goalie Joe Exter at Mac was later assistant at AIC for a couple of years.
            Last edited by Snively65; 08-21-2015, 11:27 PM.

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2015 Offseason - Future Planning ...or Just Rearranging the Deck Cha

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
              Good point. Serino graduated AIC in 1971, year before Umile graduated UNH; I believe that they played against one another in high school. Then Serino was an assistant coach at UNH for six years in the early 90s, before becoming head coach at Merrimack for seven years. His all-HEA (second team?) goalie Joe Exter at Mac was later assistant at AIC for a couple of years.
              What's our history with AIC? Do we have one?

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                What's our history with AIC? Do we have one?
                Apparently we have played the Yellow Jackets, but not recently. If you search the recent off-season thread, there were several posts concerning the schedule and I seem to recall that there were fewer than a half dozen current Div 1 teams that UNH has not played, one being Bentley.

Comment

Article in today's Foster's Daily Democrat - The Heir Apparent

Also a companion article about Umile's salary relative to other state employees (as if we didn't already know )

“(Souza) will have an opportunity to succeed me and take over the program,” Umile said. “That will be the transition going forward. (Athletic director) Marty (Scarano) makes the decisions. Mike knew that by coming back with us he’d have that opportunity when I retire and my career is over. Obviously, I have three years left before that. I’m excited about it. I’ll finish my career coaching at UNH.”
                  Last edited by Scott; 08-22-2015, 09:02 AM.
                  UNH

Comment

Today's word, boys and girls, is Opportunity.

I'm not sure I've read any actual guarantees in the various quotes, other than IF things go fairly well AND Coach Umile does eventually retire, Souza will get an opportunity to be the head coach (and yes, I know they have to couch the language at least in part so as not to bypass any written protocol for replacements/hirings). And maybe the successor issue is of the typical "wink and nod" variety.

The Wildcats eliminated UConn in the quarterfinals of the league tournament with a two-game sweep last March. A month later, Souza was promoted to associate head coach by the Huskies.

However, the chance to return to his alma mater as the heir apparent to Umile was too enticing.

That’s sort of how it was presented to me,” Souza said. “It had to be pretty persuasive for me to leave UConn. Hopefully, if things go well and we continue to win, I’ll get that opportunity when Coach does retire. Obviously, that weighed into my decision. I had a lot of responsibilities at Connecticut in terms of coaching, and if I came back I had to have the same opportunity.”

Serious question ... was Souza viewed as the "heir apparent" to Luce Canaan down at UConn?

Not that guys like Al Pike have anything better to do than do interviews that are teed up for them by the UNH SID's offices (or whatever that position is called these days), but I would love to get Coach Stewart's take on all of this. Sure, it makes for a nice read on how the three coaches are all UNH alums ... but one has to wonder what representations may have been made to Coach Stewart to get him to come back to Durham from Merrimack. Was it the "opportunity" to possibly succeed Coach Umile upon his retirement, or is he just one of those guys who prefers to be the guy in the background, without the pressures of having the top job in the program? Did Coach Umile and/or BS35+2 share with him any long range plans, and whether Coach Souza's return was even on the radar at that point?

If Coach Stewart is still in his current job at UNH by this time next year, I'll assume either (1) he has been given similar promises of an "opportunity", or (2) he is copacetic with being the long-term #2 guy in the UNH program.

If it's #1 then I bet he is at the very least quite bemused about the attention being given to Souza's hire, and the lack of similar attention paid to his hire a year ago. It should be interesting to see how this all plays out ...
                    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                      Today's word, boys and girls, is Opportunity.

I'm not sure I've read any actual guarantees in the various quotes, other than IF things go fairly well AND Coach Umile does eventually retire, Souza will get an opportunity to be the head coach (and yes, I know they have to couch the language at least in part so as not to bypass any written protocol for replacements/hirings). And maybe the successor issue is of the typical "wink and nod" variety.

The Wildcats eliminated UConn in the quarterfinals of the league tournament with a two-game sweep last March. A month later, Souza was promoted to associate head coach by the Huskies.

However, the chance to return to his alma mater as the heir apparent to Umile was too enticing.

That’s sort of how it was presented to me,” Souza said. “It had to be pretty persuasive for me to leave UConn. Hopefully, if things go well and we continue to win, I’ll get that opportunity when Coach does retire. Obviously, that weighed into my decision. I had a lot of responsibilities at Connecticut in terms of coaching, and if I came back I had to have the same opportunity.”

Serious question ... was Souza viewed as the "heir apparent" to Luce Canaan down at UConn?

Not that guys like Al Pike have anything better to do than do interviews that are teed up for them by the UNH SID's offices (or whatever that position is called these days), but I would love to get Coach Stewart's take on all of this. Sure, it makes for a nice read on how the three coaches are all UNH alums ... but one has to wonder what representations may have been made to Coach Stewart to get him to come back to Durham from Merrimack. Was it the "opportunity" to possibly succeed Coach Umile upon his retirement, or is he just one of those guys who prefers to be the guy in the background, without the pressures of having the top job in the program? Did Coach Umile and/or BS35+2 share with him any long range plans, and whether Coach Souza's return was even on the radar at that point?

If Coach Stewart is still in his current job at UNH by this time next year, I'll assume either (1) he has been given similar promises of an "opportunity", or (2) he is copacetic with being the long-term #2 guy in the UNH program.

If it's #1 then I bet he is at the very least quite bemused about the attention being given to Souza's hire, and the lack of similar attention paid to his hire a year ago. It should be interesting to see how this all plays out ...
                      Chuck who knows what was said to Coach Stewart when he was hired..but we do know what was said to Coach Souza. I mean, one can assume he was told something to the tune of "one day in the near future the HC job will be open"? He had to know going in that this of course was a possibility given Coach U's age; there's an end somewhere. I think it's safe to assume that the UNH job was a leg up for Stewart (nothing personal MC fans) being his alma mater and all, and he was happy to get closer to where his family is from (his words at a FOMH event). And one could assume Stewart has HC aspirations; I mean, don't most AC's? Or maybe he's quite happy to be here, in this position. So much could happen in the next 3 years, we could wildly speculate. Maybe Stewart picks up a HC job elsewhere? Heck maybe Mike Souza does. (hey it could happen..but I'm doubting that?) It's obvious that many AC's move laterally; look at Borek. But Stewart is a much younger man (isn't he?) than Borek so he could be eyeing the big job eventually, but not at UNH, not at least, in this "3 year" timeframe that you doubt will happen anyway. And that's a whole other thing, isn't it. Personally, I believe this is the timeframe for Coach U to end his career, although that remains to be seen I suppose. Seems Souza was told that...and I bet he's counting on it.

Interesting indeed!

Comment

BS35+2 and Al Pike are just teasing us to get this thread fired up for the upcoming season. But, did they not read the thread title?

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                          Chuck who knows what was said to Coach Stewart when he was hired..but we do know what was said to Coach Souza. I mean, one can assume he was told something to the tune of "one day in the near future the HC job will be open"? He had to know going in that this of course was a possibility given Coach U's age; there's an end somewhere.
                          Do we really know what Souza was told? In reading through the quoted passage in my last post, even Souza's description of what he was "sort of" told really never goes beyond having the aforementioned "opportunity". But having said that ... with the various hedges and contingencies apparently given to Souza, would it be shocking to you if we found out Stewart was told the same thing last year? I'm 100% positive the idea that Coach Umile's time at UNH was coming to a close would have been a HUGE factor for both coaches to decide to come back to Durham.

I know Al Pike's article was headlined "Heir Apparent", but if I was his editor - with that story on my desk - I would have added a question mark to the end of the headline. But that's just me. Anyway ...

I think it's safe to assume that the UNH job was a leg up for Stewart (nothing personal MC fans) being his alma mater and all, and he was happy to get closer to where his family is from (his words at a FOMH event). And one could assume Stewart has HC aspirations; I mean, don't most AC's? Or maybe he's quite happy to be here, in this position.
                          I think the highlighted part is the crucial question - is he here and happy as an assistant OR does he still harbor hopes of a HC job at this level? Let's look at the profiles of the three guys who would have been the logical "heir apparents" over the last year or so ...

* Borek - in his mid 50's, basically has been coaching D-1 hockey for most of the last 30 years. First 10 years as an assistant, then a six year stint as HC at Lake State in the post-Jeff Jackson *dynasty* era, and then the last dozen or so years at UNH where he probably had some opportunities at other D-1 HC jobs at some point and bypassed them. So now he's pretty much locked in as a D-1 assistant "lifer" with a last bold move to Providence. At some point, it's hard not to think there was some discussion between Umile and Borek (with OR without Scarano, or with Umile as a go-between) about Umile's long-range retirement plans, and whether Borek would be considered for the "opportunity" (that word again!) if/when the time arrived. Maybe that discussion took place years ago ... or maybe it took place a couple of months ago? The idea that he popped up in PC, and Souza arrived at UNH within days/weeks seems more than coincidence.

* Stewart - in his mid 40's, and has been a D-1 assistant for 12 years now - 6 of those years in Hockey East. I believe he is 8 years older than Souza, and had five (5) years into Merrimack - during a time when Merrimack was enjoying its best years in the program's history - when he returned to UNH. As a player, he put most of a decade into the low minors as an undrafted player, whereas Souza was drafted and spent most of his North American pro career at the AHL level before heading off for Europe. But to say UNH was a "step up" from Merrimack - while arguably true due to his alum status, then that would go double for Souza, who only had two years (1 HE) into UConn, no?

Souza - in his late 30's, and has been a D-1 assistant coach for four (4) years - and say what you will about UConn, but they have not yet experienced the success of Merrimack's teams during Stewart's time with that program. One clear advantage he can claim is that as a player, he experienced hockey at a higher level that Stewart, no question about it. I'm sure that makes a difference in Souza's favor ... but just how much, when guys like Umile, Parker, York, Bazin, Walshy and Leaman seemed to manage without the NHL/AHL pedigree? Maybe Souza is the young guy who is making his chops in the recruiting game, and if so, then I'm the last person on the board to comment on how good he is at that job compared to Stewart or anyone else.

So much could happen in the next 3 years, we could wildly speculate. Maybe Stewart picks up a HC job elsewhere? Heck maybe Mike Souza does. (hey it could happen..but I'm doubting that?) It's obvious that many AC's move laterally; look at Borek. But Stewart is a much younger man (isn't he?) than Borek so he could be eyeing the big job eventually, but not at UNH, not at least, in this "3 year" timeframe that you doubt will happen anyway. And that's a whole other thing, isn't it.
                          And therein lies the rub. Did Stewart come back to UNH to get himself in line to be Coach Umile's successor, and if he did - was he given any assurances of an "opportunity"? Hard to believe he would have left Merrimack after 5 relatively successful seasons without at least some suggestions he would be in the mix for consideration if/when Umile retires. The idea that he came back for travel reasons sounds pretty lame to me - the distance between North Andover and Durham is not exactly staggering - and it's certainly a closer commute than Melrose to Durham, for pertinent comparison. I think the question will answer itself ... but putting myself in Coach Stewart's shoes, and hearing all of the chatter about a younger, less experienced assistant in recent weeks, I'd be asking some pretty direct pointed questions about my future to my boss(es) already. Unless of course I'd already sorted that out long ago. Time will tell.

Personally, I believe this is the timeframe for Coach U to end his career, although that remains to be seen I suppose. Seems Souza was told that...and I bet he's counting on it.
                          I've said before, and I'll say it again at the risk of sounding foolish (a fear I've long ago gotten over ) ... IF UNH gets things turned back around and is competing on a national level over these next three seasons, I don't think Coach Umile is going to walk away so long as he has a legitimate shot at the D-1 title. He's put too much time into the program, and come too close to walk away if he thinks glory is just around the corner. And I have no issue with that whatsoever.

But again, I ask ... IF Souza was offered insights into Coach Umile's future as part of his decision to come back to his alma mater, is it logical to assume Stewart did not have the same questions (and would have been given similar insights) when he was hired last year?

Unless Stewart was incredibly naïve and/or Souza was much more savvy, it's hard to imagine both guys not receiving the same kinds of feedback to their likely questions about their prospects at UNH that led to them changing jobs.

If Stewart simply doesn't have the driving desire to be the UNH Head Coach, and is happy as an assistant, then this may be a non-issue. IF Stewart does have those ambitions, and feels slighted by the apparent "heir apparent" publicity that was given to Souza recently that was not given to him last year ... it's hard to see him sticking around much longer than this season before moving on. JMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                            BS35+2 and Al Pike are just teasing us to get this thread fired up for the upcoming season. But, did they not read the thread title?
                            No kidding. What I'd give for Al Pike to seek out Coach Stewart to discuss his thoughts on the future of UNH Hockey. Or maybe that hard-hitting ESPN Henniker guy can take Al off the hook (I'm sure BS35+2 would kneecap Pike if he stirred up any crap).

Given that I don't have any press credentials to put at risk, I'd be happy to step in for those guys if need be.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                              No kidding. What I'd give for Al Pike to seek out Coach Stewart to discuss his thoughts on the future of UNH Hockey. Or maybe that hard-hitting ESPN Henniker guy can take Al off the hook (I'm sure BS35+2 would kneecap Pike if he stirred up any crap).

Given that I don't have any press credentials to put at risk, I'd be happy to step in for those guys if need be.
                              What? I thought that your radio show with Felger was a done deal, Chuck!?

My brother and I stayed in the same motel as Al Pike about five miles out of town at the St Paul Frozen Four, and we both found him very guarded about his opinions and reporting.
                              Last edited by Snively65; 08-22-2015, 07:34 PM.

Comment

OK Chuck so I finally read the article. Rather than post your response I'll just say that I think Souza is saying that he'd ONLY go back to UConn if he had the same "deal" in place. I think it's pretty obvious...that he's next in line. I mean, why would they even go that far in the article? And, btw, and no, this isn't your fault Chuck, that is a terrible pic of coach! If all works out and nothing happens to any of our present guys (players) we have a chance to do some good things in the next couple at least. And we'll see what Souza and Stewart bring in with the recruiting...Think / hope these 3 guys stay together and we get back to winning some big ones...maybe even...THE big one! hey it could happen...
                                Last edited by HockeyRef; 08-22-2015, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X