Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2015 Offseason - Future Planning ...or Just Rearranging the Deck Chairs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2015 Offseason - Future Planning ...or Just Rearranging the Deck Cha

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
    Well I'm a Twitter watcher of sorts so I figured early that things were amuck when they went with a kid who most felt would go in later rounds AND they let Hamilton go / could've found the money by letting McQuaid walk etc. Knew Lucic was gone so I could deal with that. As long as my fav player Torey K stays I'm a happy camper! 😉.

After listening to some WEEI talk this morning (no not Felger and Mazz) things seemed in perspective but it wasn't a good day for the B's ....wow I mean Don Sweeny was practically booed off the stage! As was Bertanga but that's to be expected lol Even Peter C (with his "city of Florida")!comment fared better but you'd expect that when you have the number one draft pic...

Anyhoo back in the real world congrats to Marcus Vela and Mike Robinson!! I agree it looks good to see draft pics on the roster. Of course then you have to know they are gonna leave early so that has taken some adjustment on my part haha! Becoming a seasoned veteran Ya know 3 whole years in....☺️
    Not sure what I'm missing but why was Sweeney booed. I was taken aback when I heard the crowd boo him. I'm okay with the McQuaid deal especially since the B's are in need of some edge losing Thornton, Boychuk and now Lucic. Hamilton was apparently asking for too much leaving Sweeney in the lerch!

Anyhoot and anyhow, nice to see UNH get on the board with a couple.
    UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
      Not sure what I'm missing but why was Sweeney booed. I was taken aback when I heard the crowd boo him. I'm okay with the McQuaid deal especially since the B's are in need of some edge losing Thornton, Boychuk and now Lucic. Hamilton was apparently asking for too much leaving Sweeney in the lerch!

Hey e.cat it's nice to see you!! Well not see you...Anyway I was surprised too but am guessing there were B's fans in the crowd who weren't too happy with the Lucic and Hamilton deals done earlier in the day...Plus somehow I get the feeling that the B's aren't the most popular team in the NHL 😉. The team needed to shake it up and they have done that...guess we will see what's what soon enough. Hope you are having a great start to the summer!! Won't be long til we are at the 'Whitt marveling at the new video boards ....
      Last edited by HockeyRef; 06-27-2015, 05:08 PM.
      I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2015 Offseason - Future Planning ...or Just Rearranging the Deck Cha

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
        Goalie Mike Robinson, chosen by San Jose in the third round, will be a senior in high school next year ...Robinson's target date for enrollment at UNH is either the Fall of 2016 or 2017.
        San Jose would not retain the rights to Robinson unless he enrolls prior to 2017. They will make sure he is in college somewhere
        8.6 (c) (iv)

If a Player drafted at age 18 or 19, who had received a Bona Fide Offer in accordance with Section 8.6(a)(ii) above, becomes a bona fide college student prior to the second June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft and does not remain a bona fide college student through the graduation of his college class, his drafting Club shall retain exclusive rights for the negotiation of his services until the later of:

8.6 (c) (iv)

If a Player drafted at age 18 or 19, who had received a Bona Fide Offer in accordance with Section 8.6(a)(ii) above, becomes a bona fide college student prior to the second June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft and does not remain a bona fide college student through the graduation of his college class, his drafting Club shall retain exclusive rights for the negotiation of his services until the later of:

(a) the fourth June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft,

or (b) thirty (30) days after NHL Central Registry receives notice that the Player is no longer a bona fide college student;
        If he were to defer to 2017, San Jose would have no rights to him unless they sign him to a contract. That is why Robinson and all drafted kids will be in school either direct this year, or at most, next year.
        The Souza record:
        15-16 10th place
        16-17 10th place
        17-18 11th place
        18-19 8th place
        19-20 9th place
        20-21 10th place
        21-22 9th place
        22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post

Didn't think of that but you're probably right about B's fans mad about losing Lucic and Hamilton.

Summer off to a good start! Headed to Ireland tomorrow for two weeks. Can't wait to get some golf in over in the old country and catching up with my daughter and her Irish hubby in Dingle!

Hope your summer is off to a great start as well! And, oh ya, can't wait to see the Jumbotron too
          UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Didn't think of that but you're probably right about B's fans mad about losing Lucic and Hamilton.

Summer off to a good start! Headed to Ireland tomorrow for two weeks. Can't wait to get some golf in over in the old country and catching up with my daughter and her Irish hubby in Dingle!

Hope your summer is off to a great start as well! And, oh ya, can't wait to see the Jumbotron too
            Have a fantastic trip!!!!! Hit 'em straight and long...

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
              My gosh the Bs are screwed. Just atrocious cap/talent and trade management. When you have to trade your top future D because he wants an extra million, you can't then sign McQuaid for 4/2.75 mil. Giving fourth liners that money is what got you cap strapped. You might want to notice that Chicago allocates most of their money to the elite players.

Then, when you pass up consensus best players Matt Barzal and Kyle Connor for two hidden talents, ....
              Totally agree. It was stuff like this that just got Chiarelli fired. Maybe Sweeney just decided to finish the *rebuild* close enough to the start of his reign as GM so he can just blame it on the hole his predecessor had already dug for them? That's the only semi-rational explanation I can come up with. But then, how do you explain retaining Julien? Ready-made scapegoat??

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
              Now, for UNH, Mike Robinson got drafted in the third round. Congrats. However, that means he will have to go to college in 2016, when Tirone and Clark are juniors. How UNH sorts that out will be interesting.
              I still think Clark will end up transferring after this season. Going from playing virtually the entire first half of the season to sitting for virtually the entire second half of the season was just plain strange. I'm not questioning the decision to go with Tirone any longer - my main concern about that at the time was the possibility/probability of mentally "losing" Clark. But with Robinson in the pipeline for 2016, maybe Coach Umile really doesn't care whether he "loses" Clark anyway.

Ref, I wouldn't worry too much about Vela's 7th round draft status signaling a premature end to his UNH career. The 'Cats have had lots of late round choices who stuck around all 4 years. Even Robinson (3rd round), I'd say he's a 50-50 chance of playing all 4 years. Looks like he has a choice to make in the next 12 months, but if he does come to Durham, you gotta figure he's going to be the second guy for the first two years behind Tirone. He'll certainly have a battle on his hands to earn starts so long as Tirone is healthy and plays like he did last season. The 2018/2019 and 2019/2020 seasons would project out to be *his* seasons ... and unless he has some breakthrough or something happens to Tirone, it would be highly unusual for a back-up D-1 'keeper to be turning pro a year or two early. Quick ticket to the ECHL if he does, and a LONG path to the show from there, with no guarantees.

It all hinges on whether Robinson thinks it's in his best interests to come to Durham in 2016. If he does, then I don't see Clark staying ... and if Tirone continues to play well and projects to stick around, Robinson may pursue other options ... perhaps even providence???
              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Chuck rather than repost your post I'll just comment here...As per the GK situation I have no clue what the future holds but have my doubts about Clarky transferring (can he; have no clue how it works but I guess he can see UML) .

The way someone in the 'know' explained it to me he was slated as the back up for CDS (duh) but of course we know how that panned out. And in 2015-16 when DT arrived he was slated to be starting GK with Clarky..back up to DT. And we all know how that panned out with the early arrival of DT.

Personally I like his (Clarks) game and he really stepped up in a more than tough situation last year but I do acknowledge who our starting keeper is. I hope he stays with UNH but could understand if he didn't.

Now we have an interesting scenario with the possibility of having Mike Robinson show up next year. (Or 2016) So who knows how it will all pan out but it does lend itself to interesting discussion!! Has UNH been in this situation (which I consider enviable?) before?

Ps Mentioning defections to my other team that starts with P isn't very healthy Ya know! 😳
                Last edited by HockeyRef; 06-28-2015, 12:14 AM.

Comment

Adam Clark has been invited to the upcoming Calgary Flames Player Development Camp.
                  The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                    The way someone in the 'know' explained it to me he was slated as the back up for CDS (duh) but of course we know how that panned out. And in 2015-16 when DT arrived he was slated to be starting GK with Clarky..back up to DT. And we all know how that panned out with the early arrival of DT.

Personally I like his (Clarks) game and he really stepped up in a more than tough situation last year but I do acknowledge who our starting keeper is. I hope he stays with UNH but could understand if he didn't.

Now we have an interesting scenario with the possibility of having Mike Robinson show up next year. (Or 2016) So who knows how it will all pan out but it does lend itself to interesting discussion!! Has UNH been in this situation (which I consider enviable?) before?
                    Yup, a few times. For example, in 2001-2002 our FF team saw two goalies, one a senior and one a sophomore, get almost exactly the same playing time throughout the entire regular season and post-season, as both posted nearly identical stats. However, in several other seasons either the older or younger goalie got most of the playing time, usually because of better stats. However, I cannot recall UNH having two quality goalies in the same class, as we have now.

I am really happy for Clark getting the invite to the Flames' camp. Maybe eventually he will play behind Doug Hamilton. And, to continue the earlier thread drift, I will bet that we do not see the Blackhawks making stupid offseason moves with their D-men like the Bruins have done (i.e., TvR will stay put).
                    Last edited by Snively65; 06-28-2015, 07:16 AM.

Comment

Sweeney was booed because he was seen as mimicking the Chiarelli playbook. How you can spend $2.5 mil on a third pairing defenseman (at least that is what he should be) and not cough up $5.5 for Hamilton is beyond head shaking. Look at it this way, You take McQuaid's $2.5, subtract it from the $5.5 they would have given Hamilton. That's a net of $3.0, then add a defenseman with McQuaid's "skill set" for $800,000. Total cost, maybe $6.5 mil and you retain an emerging star who undoubtedly would have been the best defenseman on the team next year. So they are no longer in cap jail but the price is that the team is going to stink, and big time. No problem with the Lucic deal, got decent value back, but discarding Hamilton like they did is beyond the pale. First Seguin, now this. Just awful.

BTW, enjoy Ireland. My wife and I, plus two other couples did a trip in 2011. We were in Dingle for the horse races, played golf at La Hinch, Old Head, and Killarney among others. Wonderful trip, and not that much rain!

Comment

Originally posted by Greg A View Post
                        Sweeney was booed because he was seen as mimicking the Chiarelli playbook. How you can spend $2.5 mil on a third pairing defenseman (at least that is what he should be) and not cough up $5.5 for Hamilton is beyond head shaking. Look at it this way, You take McQuaid's $2.5, subtract it from the $5.5 they would have given Hamilton. That's a net of $3.0, then add a defenseman with McQuaid's "skill set" for $800,000. Total cost, maybe $6.5 mil and you retain an emerging star who undoubtedly would have been the best defenseman on the team next year. So they are no longer in cap jail but the price is that the team is going to stink, and big time. No problem with the Lucic deal, got decent value back, but discarding Hamilton like they did is beyond the pale. First Seguin, now this. Just awful.

BTW, enjoy Ireland. My wife and I, plus two other couples did a trip in 2011. We were in Dingle for the horse races, played golf at La Hinch, Old Head, and Killarney among others. Wonderful trip, and not that much rain!
                        Sorry to keep commenting on the B's on this site but of course true to Boston sports form here come all the stories about how Hamilton "wasn't a team player", they didn't "like him in the dressing room" ala Sequin etc. They lost a great dMan (at least an up and coming one) and got zilch to show for it. Of course these stories are entertaining. How entertaining is it going to be next season? Maybe they will lower their already high ticket prices (as if). Here's hoping they get something going in the next few weeks if rumors are correct...rant over. Here's to the 'avalanche' of UNH news that I keep on predicting that will come this week...

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/b...or_don_sweeney
                        Last edited by HockeyRef; 06-28-2015, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                          Sorry to keep commenting on the B's on this site but of course true to Boston sports form here come all the stories about how Hamilton "wasn't a team player", they didn't "like him in the dressing room" ala Sequin etc.
                          Then shame on the organization to begin with. It's called "doing your due diligence" on the kid BEFORE you draft him in the first place. If he was supposedly an adverse influence in the room, that stuff usually doesn't just happen overnight. Ditto with Seguin.

Sidebar to Snively65 ... I think Ref was referring to the apparent upcoming glut of three (3) arguably front line goalies concurrently, were Robinson to arrive next Fall - before SJ loses his draft rights - and assuming Tirone AND Clark are still both with the program. Obviously, it's not unusual for UNH (or any D-1 program) to carry three goalies ... but it may be the first time UNH will have carried 3 guys who may have a legitimate shot at significant PT. Usually goalie #3 is well-defined and is the "emergency" guy - and in this case, UNH already had that guy ... he is Jamie Regan, and he is a senior this coming season, so it's likely he was always going to be the emergency guy.

*Maybe* Clark was meant to be the back-up guy to you-know-who last season initially, and then who knows what he was told about his chances at the top job after CDS left and when Tirone arrived (obviously that happened sooner than planned). But Clark didn't exactly throw up on himself in the first half of last season, and he's obviously gotten the attention of an NHL team in the process. A team that no doubt will want to see him playing to further his continued development. And with Robinson possibly just over a year away ... it *could* project to this glut lasting two full seasons IF Tirone and Clark meet their 4 yr. eligibility commitments.

So interestingly enough ... the guy who projects out to be the top goalie next season (and probably beyond) is the guy who hasn't been drafted OR gotten an invite to a pro camp, while his projected back-up this season at least has had a low-level nibble (PDC invite), and the guy figuring to come onto the scene when the first two guys are juniors will be a legitimate fairly high round draft pick.

It's a weird succession plan, and unique at least to my time following the program.

Like 'Watcher speculated initially ... it will be interesting to see how this plays out. I still think either Robinson changes his mind and goes elsewhere, or Clark leaves the program in the next 12 months.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg A View Post
                            Sweeney could have waited until Hamilton had signed an offer sheet and most likely could have gotten two first round picks after they passed. That's what they did when the let Kessel go, getting two draft picks that turned out to be Seguin and Hamilton. Notice both were gone by the time they were 22. Just disgusting. B's are going nowhere, and fast.
                            If Hamilton was offered an offer sheet and the Bruins passed the Bs would have been compensated with a first, second and third round pick. Not two first round picks. Granted Hamilton's salary next year is between $5,478,986 to $7,305,316. They would get two first round picks if he signed for more than 7.3 mil. The Bruins got better compensation by trading him than if they let him go via offer sheet with a first round pick and two second round picks.

Comment

Originally posted by hawksLL View Post
                              If Hamilton was offered an offer sheet and the Bruins passed the Bs would have been compensated with a first, second and third round pick. Not two first round picks. Granted Hamilton's salary next year is between $5,478,986 to $7,305,316. They would get two first round picks if he signed for more than 7.3 mil. The Bruins got better compensation by trading him than if they let him go via offer sheet with a first round pick and two second round picks.
                              Maybe they got better compensation than they otherwise might have ... but they just took a huge loss on a guy that they had projected to be their long-term blue-chip stud defenseman. And then signed McQuaid to another Chris Kelly/Reilly Smith deal. I understood the decisions to overpay the depth guys back when they were contending for Cups and valued continuity, but now Smith and McQuaid are two unnecessary steps for guys who simply aren't that good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                                Maybe they got better compensation than they otherwise might have ... but they just took a huge loss on a guy that they had projected to be their long-term blue-chip stud defenseman. And then signed McQuaid to another Chris Kelly/Reilly Smith deal. I understood the decisions to overpay the depth guys back when they were contending for Cups and valued continuity, but now Smith and McQuaid are two unnecessary steps for guys who simply aren't that good.
                                Who own the Bruins?
                                The Souza record:
                                15-16 10th place
                                16-17 10th place
                                17-18 11th place
                                18-19 8th place
                                19-20 9th place
                                20-21 10th place
                                21-22 9th place
                                22-23 10th place

Comment

Working...