This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting Vol. XXXIV: Go pick me out a winner, Strand

How can you fill a position with a player who has never truly dominated points wise at any level? I know points don't always reflect the true story, but come on those are weak numbers even at the WI HS level.
    We have a surplus on these type of players. Why not take a chance on at least a proven goal scorer at one of these lower junior levels and try to fix there weak spots.

Andy is probably right about the intramural hockey on campus there are some kids from the metro that play on those teams that have dominated in MNHS. They just didn't want to deal with junior hockey.

Once again, things are not adding up. They need to get some 4/5th line players that are going to push for spots. Going against players in practice who are two steps to slow shows up on Friday and Saturday night even if those said players don't dress with the team.

Head shaker.

Comment

no offense to the kid, but this is unbelievable. This is the best we can do?
      gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
        no offense to the kid, but this is unbelievable. This is the best we can do?
        I know I felt bad posting mine, for the kid's sake. It is like MM is stacking the bottom forward lines with what can be compared to having a 3rd and 4th goalie that are WI high school walk on.

Comment

Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
          How can you fill a position with a player who has never truly dominated points wise at any level? I know points don't always reflect the true story, but come on those are weak numbers even at the WI HS level.
          We have a surplus on these type of players. Why not take a chance on at least a proven goal scorer at one of these lower junior levels and try to fix there weak spots.
          I suspect that this player recruited himself more or less. While the staff did give a blessing. I'm sure that it was more: I'm a WI kid who is coming to UW, I'd love the opportunity to walk-on to the team. My guess is that he'll be with the team for one or two years tops, before he decides to "focus on academics"

Once again, things are not adding up. They need to get some 4/5th line players that are going to push for spots. Going against players in practice who are two steps to slow shows up on Friday and Saturday night even if those said players don't dress with the team.

Head shaker.
          This is my primary concern as well, this team just does not have the depth to push the pile of average to slightly above average players to get better. These players are not 6 anymore, practicing against cones and pylons is not going to help their decision making and build their instincts on how to react.

Comment

Originally posted by IndianaBadger1995 View Post
            Do you think I like where the program is or how Eaves' has been doing? Honest question since you seem to think I believe Eaves is great at his job. I wanted him to be fired because of his hires for assistants but I'm not gonna sit here and complain to people that have zero influence on the situation. There's better things to do in life.
            Yes, as you say you wanted him fired, then go on to defend his record. Defend bringing in another 4th line player.

Better things to do? But yet you still come here.

Recruiting is the life blood of a college hockey program and Eaves frankly sucks at it. The good assistants he picked early on carried him and he hasn't had a good assistant pick in over 10 years - Patrick in 2005. Based on last nights commitment, its not a good start for the next two assistants. But I will be fair, it is too early to judge them now.
            gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
              Yes, as you say you wanted him fired, then go on to defend his record. Defend bringing in another 4th line player.

Better things to do? But yet you still come here.

Recruiting is the life blood of a college hockey program and Eaves frankly sucks at it. The good assistants he picked early on carried him and he hasn't had a good assistant pick in over 10 years - Osiecki in 2004. Based on last nights commitment, its not looking good for the next two assistants. But I will be fair that it is too early to judge them now.
              I think that you are underappreciating the job that Patrick did as the2nd assistant. The Butters/Shichuk/Walsh fiasco was just mind bafflingly stupid. The new guys shouldn't be judged (yet) by the recruiting nightmare and derth of pre-existing talent on this team. I have some hope thatching scan improve, but I wonder if it will be enough to turn the ship around or just crash it on the beach so it doesn't go over Niagara Falls again.

Comment

Originally posted by UWisco View Post
                Keryluk has to be a walk-on type kid I assume. Numbers are kind of scary to look at based on the league he plays in. Originally from Verona.

Won't surprise me if he's a walk-on.

He's a legacy recruit and comes from serious money, so no scholarship dollars would be needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                  I think that you are underappreciating the job that Patrick did as the2nd assistant. The Butters/Shichuk/Walsh fiasco was just mind bafflingly stupid. The new guys shouldn't be judged (yet) by the recruiting nightmare and derth of pre-existing talent on this team. I have some hope thatching scan improve, but I wonder if it will be enough to turn the ship around or just crash it on the beach so it doesn't go over Niagara Falls again.
                  I looked back at the record books and missed Patrick. He was 2005 and I changed my post accordingly. you are right.

Comment

Originally posted by IndianaBadger1995 View Post
                    Comparisons to Don Lucia past 10 years..
                    Lucia has hung way more league banners over that time than Eaves has. It's not just win totals but what you win that fans care most about.

The other factor you can't ignore is Lucia was dealing with a rather serious health condition for roughly two years that had a significant impact on his ability to do things the way he normally would. Not coincidentally that was about the time the Gophers entered into a rough patch for 3+ seasons. (and he had the poison named John Hill there too... lol)
                    University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting Vol. XXXIV: Go pick me out a winner, Strand

So we probably have a 1st line, but I'm thinking 4th line cubed works for the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                        Wisconsin has the market cornered on D3 recruits. Maybe Alvarez is thinking about demoting the program?

I don't understand this addition at all. I say this with 100% seriousness... there are probably better players walking around the Wisconsin campus that are playing intramural.
                        At least based on his production in the leagues he played in...he's very mediocre by DIII recruiting standards.
                        I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

According to a tweet (that was retweeted by Chuck,) we look to have one of our new forwards for this season.

https://***********/T_Barnes7/status/614521396379521024

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=220019
                          Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

What in the world... Though I did think Shuchuk would leave when dad left.

Comment

Didn't I tell you guys? Wisconsin is doing a reality show now where they see how high they can get my blood pressure.

Comment

Has eaves finally gone colonel Kurtz?????? *** is happening?!?!
                                Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X