X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting Vol. XXXIV: Go pick me out a winner, Strand

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
    Anybody you know have anything to say about Carson Vance?
    Not at this time.

Comment

Greenway had 12 PIM vs. the UND F-ing Hawks this year. What more do we need to know?

Actually, I love this kid. He's the 11th highest rated draft eligible D entering college hockey in the fall and his stock is rising after his performance on the USA U18 top pair at the Worlds. I'm going to say he won't make it past the 4th round. 6'4" 205 at 18 with just a ton of raw talent. Has some work to do under heavy pressure, but he's going to walk right into the top 4 and working under Oz here, the sky is the limit for him. Perfect fit for what we need. Just a fantastic get this late in the year.

My best guess is that the staff will try to add one more D if they can. I'm right on the same page with markwojo in that Harvard commit Adam Fox would be a dream get.

Somehow pull out another rabbit and add either Fox, or Dennis Cholowski and the Badgers will be back right now.
      ha ha ha, nice! Roughing up the siouxie's (err hawks) is GREAT to have on the resume heading into Madison.
      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Great news on JD Greenway.

Shame about the Nordic recruit(s), as I was thinking that they would t be the weakest links this year. Still, best of luck to him/them.
        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
          Great news on JD Greenway.

Shame about the Nordic recruit(s), as I was thinking that they would t be the weakest links this year. Still, best of luck to him/them.
          Sounds like these decisions were made on the academic, not the athletic, side.

Comment

Here's ghwinwi's recruit list link again for convenience https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...2&pli=1#gid=0:

The reason I ask about Vance is this: Returning D as far as we know are

1.Davison
            2.Linhart
            3.Sexton
            4.Tischke
            5.Bunz

And I suppose maybe Hurley but given that they switched McGuire rather than play Hurley I gotta believe at this point he's not ever getting in.

Astren is out, Greenway is in, so that's six. Berkovitz has now had two below average years, Stillwell and Parsells had mediocre years at best. Parsells maybe the best of the three as a stay at home defender, but I question whether any of them will be here in the fall. Even if one of them comes in and Vance is out as Dplaya suggests, that means they are definitely adding another D off a short list.

Now maybe Vance and/or at least one of those guys is in and/or they like Mcguire there enough to give him a shot, but that seems the least likely. So therefore I conclude there will be another D announced in the near future. How's that?

A puck mover is what is needed. A top one would allow them to play Davison on the third pair where he could actually excel this year in giving it some punch while not having to face top lines too often. We'd look pretty good going in to the season.
            Last edited by Wisko McBadgerton; 05-10-2016, 08:55 AM.
            Originally posted by WiscTJK
            I'm with Wisko and Tim.
            Originally posted by Timothy A
            Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Somehow pull out another rabbit and add either Fox, or Dennis Cholowski and the Badgers will be back right now.
              Any reason to believe Cholowski has not already singed his LOI with St Cloud?

Comment

Originally posted by markwojo View Post
                Any reason to believe Cholowski has not already singed his LOI with St Cloud?

Shoot. Another one bites the dust.

There was until the last day or two as far as I could tell. Heisenberg has changed him to signed sometime within the last couple of days, although I still don't see it anywhere else. But I now assume they have worked it out. Was a long shot but still a tiny bit disappointing as Cholowski was originally slated for 2017 with the Cloudies. With all their D back except one, on paper at least, it seemed like a good fit for him to switch to UW with the new staff and a guaranteed top playing spot. On the other hand, good for him for sticking to his commitment.
                Last edited by Wisko McBadgerton; 05-10-2016, 10:46 AM.
                I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

A dman name that has several dots that connect....Grant Gabriele. He had been committed to Western Michigan until March and is now open in his recruitment. He played a year for Don Granato in the USDT and crossed paths there with Kunin, Fredrick, Greenway, & Ryan Wagner. He played part of season with Max Zimmer and Parsells in Chicago (USHL). He is right handed of which the only options I see on the roster or possibly incoming are Sexton and McGuire (all of Davison, Linhart, Greenway, Tischke, Bunz, Hurley, Berkovitz, Stillwell, & Vance are left handed!!!) How the hell do you have a roster constructed that consists of Sexton and McGuire (a frickin' forward) as your only RH defenseman options?
                  Last edited by markwojo; 05-10-2016, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Can't help but feel like we're all going to be one big happy family, all on the same page again in no time.

I mentioned a possibility in that D Grant Gabriele decommitted from Western Michigan last week. He played for Donny at the NTDP the two previous years
                    I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                      Can't help but feel like we're all going to be one big happy family, all on the same page again in no time.
                      Do you know if Grant is being recruited by Wisco? Looks like he had a solid year in the USHL-9-17-26 between 3 teams.Heres a little blurb about Grant from a draft site.

Long term prospect on defense who is very offensively gifted and instinctive in the attack some but is still working to improve his defensive coverage, positioning, pivots, and gap control. Needs improvement on reading the opposition attacks and make better decisions with the puck in his end. On the attack he activates very well, and is a good passer there. Forces the play from the blueline, walks it well and also is good at timing his jumps into the slot to receive pucks and take shots. Has little physicality of edge to his game at this juncture.

—Bill Placzek
                      Last edited by BadgerHockey9; 05-10-2016, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerHockey9 View Post
                        Do you know if Grant is being recruited by Wisco? Looks like he had a solid year in the USHL-9-17-26 between 3 teams.Heres a little blurb about Grant from a draft site.

Long term prospect on defense who is very offensively gifted and instinctive in the attack some but is still working to improve his defensive coverage, positioning, pivots, and gap control. Needs improvement on reading the opposition attacks and make better decisions with the puck in his end. On the attack he activates very well, and is a good passer there. Forces the play from the blueline, walks it well and also is good at timing his jumps into the slot to receive pucks and take shots. Has little physicality of edge to his game at this juncture.

—Bill Placzek

I don't know. What I think is most interesting about it is that it's hard to imagine another coach having as good of relationship with him as Donny does, so on the surface you'd think if the Badgers asked, they'd definitely get him. He's a good player, Chuck thought he could possibly even be a late round pick somewhere this year and the Badgers do really seem to need another puck mover. So why haven't they pulled the trigger?

The reason that I'd like to go with is that they feel they have a bead on someone better, but I don't know that for sure. It seems a plausible explanation though.
                        I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Logic tells you Fox is the best RHD available for next season that is not legally tied to anyone (Ivy's not doing LOI's) and Gabriele is the best uncommitted RHD. Both played for Donny Granato in the USDP and he should have them/their parent's numbers in his phone's contact list...this staff has reached out to both weeks ago to gage interest or they should be fired for incompetence. Likewise, Greenway was probably an instant contact....but my guess is there is a little lag from initial contact/expression of interest and doing a visit, sorting through choices, and making a commitment....and it may take some longer then others to go through that process.

Comment

I guess if we're going only RHD that leaves out Keegan Ford. I wonder if he'd have to sit another year to transfer back to Wisconsin?
                            I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                              I guess if we're going only RHD that leaves out Keegan Ford. I wonder if he'd have to sit another year to transfer back to Wisconsin?
                              Nothing preventing him from returning to the Badgers and playing immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronnieb View Post
                                Nothing preventing him from returning to the Badgers and playing immediately.
                                So if he transfers to another school, sits out a year, he could go back and play for his old team since he never played for the new one? One would think by definition he transfered and signed with another school, therefore he'd have to transfer and sit out another year. I can't believe the ncaa would be that logical and let him play for UW.

He and Doughtery just should have stuck it out. Of course, then UW may have won more games and MM would still be there.
                                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Working...
                                X