This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
    here's where we really need Chuck/Andy. I couldn't begin to guess what the scholly breakdown is right now.

The set of forwards on the roster look pretty **** good IF Frederic and Baker come in with Zimmer.

On defense, I have no doubt OZ can make some of the current guys much better than they have been in terms of positioning but they really do need to find 2 studs (possibly more) to come in and assist immediately. Who those kids could be I have no idea
    My understanding is that everyone on the team gets at least 10% (some NCAA level for being considered a scholarship athlete)

Any of the non-WI (and non-MN) start at about 50%. This covers the difference in cost between out-of-state and in-state cost of attendance.

The rest is given out based mostly on how highly touted a player was when recruited, but players can get an increase based on play (mostly the result of any early departures because scholarships are use it or lose it each year).

You can just about slot the rest based on where a player is drafted (or expected to be drafted) by the NHL.

First round picks get generally no more 90%, undrafted players will be near the 10% baseline for everyone.

If you want to understand part of why UW has struggled with WI born players, a 50% scholarship to UW will require about the same out of pocket cost from the family as 75% scholarship elsewhere. But a 75% offer makes it seem like the other school wants you more. From a financial perspective, a 20% at UW is better than a 65% elsewhere, but it feels that UW just doesn't value you as much. This is why Eaves got a reputation for "low balling" WI born recruits.

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting Vol. XXXIV: Go pick me out a winner, Strand

Originally posted by Almington View Post
      My understanding is that everyone on the team gets at least 10% (some NCAA level for being considered a scholarship athlete)

Any of the non-WI (and non-MN) start at about 50%. This covers the difference in cost between out-of-state and in-state cost of attendance.

The rest is given out based mostly on how highly touted a player was when recruited, but players can get an increase based on play (mostly the result of any early departures because scholarships are use it or lose it each year).

You can just about slot the rest based on where a player is drafted (or expected to be drafted) by the NHL.

First round picks get generally no more 90%, undrafted players will be near the 10% baseline for everyone.

If you want to understand part of why UW has struggled with WI born players, a 50% scholarship to UW will require about the same out of pocket cost from the family as 75% scholarship elsewhere. But a 75% offer makes it seem like the other school wants you more. From a financial perspective, a 20% at UW is better than a 65% elsewhere, but it feels that UW just doesn't value you as much. This is why Eaves got a reputation for "low balling" WI born recruits.
      thanks. that's very interesting re: "low balling Wisconsin-born recruits", hopefully the new staff can make amends quickly, especially with Wisconsin HS Coaches. It's not exactly fair (or maybe that's not the precise word to use here) for a HC to be in a position where he/she feels they must offer over 20% (where you say it's the equivalent of 65% elsewhere) based on the kid and parents perceptions, but then again that's the name of the game in recruiting: perception is reality. Eaves must not have understood that and he had plenty of years to grasp that lesson
      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

To be fair, this is where I would probably have a melt down as a recruiter. I mean with someone who would pay $5k to go to Ohio St. or $5k to go to Wisconsin and tell me it's not the same offer.

One of my great pet peeves in the world is when someone doesn't understand that how much the seller has paid for something has absolutely no bearing on it's value or what the buyer should pay.

And I know somebody will read that and think "Yeah... But...

NO! NO! NO! IT"S IRRELEVANT!!! ARRGH! JUST GO TO ****ING OSU THEN IF YOU'RE GOING TO BE SUCH A DUMB ***!

So, it's probably good I'm not recruiting.
        Originally posted by WiscTJK
        I'm with Wisko and Tim.
        Originally posted by Timothy A
        Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
          To be fair, this is where I would probably have a melt down as a recruiter. I mean with someone who would pay $5k to go to Ohio St. or $5k to go to Wisconsin and tell me it's not the same offer.
          One of my great pet peeves in the world is when someone doesn't understand that how much the seller has paid for something has absolutely no bearing on it's value or what the buyer should pay.
          NO! NO! NO! IT"S IRRELEVANT!!! ARRGH! JUST GO TO ****ING OSU THEN IF YOU'RE GOING TO BE SUCH A DUMB ***!

Makes you wonder if a potential student athlete who doesn't have the math comprehension to understand this concept would have even gotten into UW.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post

This is simple economics/math that some people allow to be affected by their personal/family pride.

As a parent that is saving for my kids college costs - the key is this, "what is my bottom line cost?"

If school A is $20,000 a year in tuition and room and board, if they give us a 25% scholarship, my cost is now 15k

If school B is $40,000 a year in tuition and room and board, if they give us a 40% scholarship, my cost is now 24k

My kid goes 9,000 a year less into debt x 4 years = $36,000 even though he gets "less" of a scholarship.

Pride and principles also have a price for some of these families apparently!

Comment

Depending on the school (private, public). For 80% of recruits the questions are all the same. In state or out of state? What does family do for a living? What is your ability to obtain financial aid? do you have savings to pay for cost of attendance? What is your ability to obtain academic aid? Really, scholarship $$$$ are the last part of the question. Recruiting is simply run as a business for the institution to get the biggest bang for the buck. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronnieb View Post
                Depending on the school (private, public). For 80% of recruits the questions are all the same. In state or out of state? What does family do for a living? What is your ability to obtain financial aid? do you have savings to pay for cost of attendance? What is your ability to obtain academic aid? Really, scholarship $$$$ are the last part of the question. Recruiting is simply run as a business for the institution to get the biggest bang for the buck. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not.
                Yeah, the problem to me and the argument here is on the Recruit/Family side, IMO. Too often their ego and pride get in the way of taking a "lesser" percentage scholarship even thought their bottom line would be less than the converse of that. It's dumb. I coach (not hockey) and have tried explaining this to some families and their kids when they colleges come talking.

Some get it, but some of the others are delusional about their kids talent and perceived "value" to their potential college team.
                Last edited by BuB; 04-04-2016, 07:25 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BuB View Post
                  Yeah, the problem to me and the argument here is on the Recruit/Family side, IMO. Too often their ego and pride get in the way of taking a "lesser" percentage scholarship even thought their bottom line would be less than the converse of that. It's dumb. I coach (not hockey) and have tried explaining this to some families and their kids when they colleges come talking.

Some get it, but some of the others are delusional about their kids talent
                  and perceived "value" to their potential college team.
                  Agreed. I was just hoping maybe the delusionals were reading

Comment

It has been pointed out to me that no one outside of the UW athletic department knows the exact numbers for each player. I simply posted some general "rules of thumb" that allow us to estimate what the scholarship situation is for UW. There have been some top flight players who had almost no scholarship money (leaving more to build a better team around them) and players with nearly a "full ride" who never lived up to the expectations when they were recruited.

Comment

Didn't you get a commit from MN yesterday? Forgot where I saw it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                        Didn't you get a commit from MN yesterday? Forgot where I saw it.
                        I haven't seen anything in the past few days. Might have missed it, but don't have anything via the sites/sources that I check.
                        Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Never mind. It was a bad tweet. He committed to a D3 school lol.
                          https://***********/SVStampeders/sta...28357377224704

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                            Never mind. It was a bad tweet. He committed to a D3 school lol.
                            https://***********/SVStampeders/sta...28357377224704
                            Looks like a great pickup for UW......Stout

Comment

Originally posted by markwojo View Post
                              Looks like a great pickup for UW......Stout
                              That's a bummer. We really need more players rocking the bow-tie.
                              Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

When in doubt...
                                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Working...
                                X