X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting Vol. XXXIV: Go pick me out a winner, Strand

Originally posted by sweatpants View Post
    The Big Ten just started offering 4 year "super scholarships" a couple years ago. They are the only conference that does this. I have no idea if any player is on one of these or even if it applies to Big Ten hockey, but my guess is it does.
    Thanks for the clarification. I see the walk on deal only applies if you participated for 2 weeks or less, but I wasn't aware the hardship exemption was gone.

I believe there was a lawsuit regarding 1 year limit on scholarships that may have effected some change in the NCAA rules. I think there's also a lawsuit pending in Indiana federal court right now regarding the sitting out 1 year for transfers, so maybe it will all go away. Although the NCAA has been pretty successful over the years in defending most of it's rules.
    Originally posted by WiscTJK
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Originally posted by Timothy A
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
      Thanks for the clarification. I see the walk on deal only applies if you participated for 2 weeks or less, but I wasn't aware the hardship exemption was gone.

I believe there was a lawsuit regarding 1 year limit on scholarships that may have effected some change in the NCAA rules. I think there's also a lawsuit pending in Indiana federal court right now regarding the sitting out 1 year for transfers, so maybe it will all go away. Although the NCAA has been pretty successful over the years in defending most of it's rules.
      Getting rid of the hardship waiver was a good move. It was made with good intentions, but too many fb/bb players were abusing it. I'm really indifferent on the walk-on rule. I don't think kids should be penalized if they weren't getting any aid to begin with, but the NCAA usually does have a decent justification for every rule. Maybe they are worried about tampering. I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by sweatpants View Post
        Getting rid of the hardship waiver was a good move. It was made with good intentions, but too many fb/bb players were abusing it. I'm really indifferent on the walk-on rule. I don't think kids should be penalized if they weren't getting any aid to begin with, but the NCAA usually does have a decent justification for every rule. Maybe they are worried about tampering. I don't know.
        I don't know if I agree. It probably wasn't the fb/bb players themselves abusing it as much as the coaches and admins working to abuse it. Actually as a general thing I don't think I agree that players should be restricted and have to sit. While the NCAA has claimed sitting a year is so student athletes can get acclimatized to their new school environment, I think we all know that has nothing to do with it. (I believe a court has said as much.) Restricting the players because the NCAA can't stop coaches and other "adults" from tampering seems wrong. How about just enforcing the rules against tampering and let players go to where they can get the best deal and the most playing time?

As you say the hardship waiver was instituted with good intentions to help certain players in specific situations, but because the NCAA can't control the "adults", players that legitimately need the waiver are now just out of luck. The NCAA is a mess.
        I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
          If we're talking immediate splash, F Patrick Khodorenko and D J.D. Greenway are uncommitted off the NTDP. Khodorenko is 2017 draft eligible so he'd be in a similar situation as Kunin was last year.

I mentioned a possibility in that D Grant Gabriele decommitted from Western Michigan last week. He played for Donny at the NTDP the two previous years. I'd like to know what happened there. He was listed as a top 100 prospect by Central Scouting for 2015 (#73 at one point, way ahead of Caleb Jones for example), but went undrafted. Why, I don't know exactly.
          Khodorenko just committed to Michigan State. I don't think forward is the priority anyway if they can just keep Frederic, Zimmer and Baker committed and coming next year. Of course Kunin and/or Besse leaving early would hurt. The Badgers are in desperate need of quality defensemen. A high-end defenseman or two would really help going into next season.
          Last edited by DPlaya; 03-31-2016, 09:42 PM.

Comment

We are really missing Dougherty (who could have finally played for Oz!) right now.
            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by DPlaya View Post
              Khodorenko just committed to Michigan State. I don't think forward is the priority anyway if they can just keep Frederic, Zimmer and Baker committed and coming next year. Of course Kunin and/or Besse leaving early would hurt. The Badgers are in desperate need of quality defensemen. A high-end defenseman or two would really help going into next season.
              Agree 100%. However it shakes out, we should be in shape to roll four lines with the top two being especially good. I think there's zero chance Besse isn't back and little chance Kunin isn't, but of course that is heavily dependent on who drafts him. To my mind though, he's absolutely right in his saying he wants to stay until he is ready for the show. Why guys leave early to play in the AHL is beyond me.

I'm very impressed with the progress Linhart made last year and if that continues he could be one of the most valuable D in the conference. What concerns me is that we're very short on physical, shut down, puck separating D that can really play in a conference that typically has a lot of big, strong forwards. Now Tischke has every physical skill you'd want in a top defensive D, very good skates and a beast in the weight room, and Sexton has a very good head for the game and a huge heart. If you could make one guy out of them you'd have a 1st rounder, no problem. But as it stands, we're hurting for D that can play D, get the puck back and protect a lead late in games. Not to mention take some pressure off our young goalies.

Unless Parsells is really ready to play in the top 4, we have Carson Vance and Matt Berkovitz who have reps as very good skaters and puck moving type D, but who have struggled a bit in generating the kinds of numbers expected of them. Both plus players though, as is Jere Astren, which is a positive. I'd be surprised if Stillwell (10 pts. -16) is coming in next year.

So there's plenty of room for NTDP's J.D. Greenway, who is just what is needed, but even for these coaches it's a huge uphill battle. Brother is at BU, and may be just as likely to go nowhere as the Plymouth Whalers own his OHL rights and are in the same arena.

I asked our former resident guru about WMU decommit Grant Gabriele and he indicated he's a pretty good player, possibly a later round pick this year. He also mentioned F Ross Colton (31g 30a 51gp for Cedar Rapids USHL) as being a much coveted player decommited from Vermont. Although I haven't seen where he's decommited, the Schwartz is seldom wrong about these things.

Oz is just going to have to work some real magic to get the D corp competitive by next fall
              Last edited by Wisko McBadgerton; 04-01-2016, 09:49 AM.
              I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

• Would any of you guys mind giving your thoughts on what the forward lines might look like for next year? I'm not too familiar with the incoming freshmen and I'm curious as to where everyone thinks the frosh forwards will fit in. Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by GBBadger14 View Post
                  Would any of you guys mind giving your thoughts on what the forward lines might look like for next year? I'm not too familiar with the incoming freshmen and I'm curious as to where everyone thinks the frosh forwards will fit in. Thanks.
                  Kunin-Hughes-Besse
                  Johnson-Wagner-Soleway/Zimmer
                  Frederic-Malone-Rockwood
                  Labosky-Sundberg/Zirbel/Baker-Freytag

Obviously players can be interchanged in other spots.
                  Last edited by UWisco; 04-01-2016, 12:08 PM.
                  WISCONSIN BADGERS
                  NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
                  WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
                  WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
                  B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
                  Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

Originally posted by UWisco View Post
                    Kunin-Hughes-Besse
                    Johnson-Wagner-Soleway
                    Frederic-Malone-Rockwood
                    Labosky-Sundberg/Zirbel-Freytag

Obviously players can be interchanged in other spots.
                    Is Zimmer coming next year? I know Tarek Baker is, he'll easily crack the line-up. I think Zirbel and Labosky won't crack it. McGuire will be ahead of those guys IMO.

I see the 4th line as Freytag/Baker/McGuire. If Zimmer is coming, he's on the 2nd line in place of Soleway.
                    Last edited by Timothy A; 04-01-2016, 12:07 PM.
                    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                      Is Zimmer coming next year?
                      I have to think he is. Baker too unless new staff changes things.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                        Is Zimmer coming next year? I know Tarek Baker is, he'll easily crack the line-up. I think Zirbel and Labosky won't crack it. McGuire will be ahead of those guys IMO.

I see the 4th line as Freytag/Baker/McGuire. If Zimmer is coming, he's on the 2nd line in place of Soleway.
                        Labosky had shown ability to score in the USHL. I edited the lines. McGuire has looked better on D than F.
                        WISCONSIN BADGERS
                        WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013

Comment

Soleway has shown no ability to score, wouldn't be surprised if he sat out games here and there.
                          WISCONSIN BADGERS

Comment

Originally posted by UWisco View Post
                            Soleway has shown no ability to score, wouldn't be surprised if he sat out games here and there.
                            but he is the best face off man on the team, so he won't be sitting IMO. Plus his physical presence is needed.
                            gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

• Originally posted by UWisco View Post
                              Kunin-Hughes-Besse
                              Wagner-Malone-Zimmer
                              Freytag-Rockwood-Frederic
                              Baker-Soleway-Johnson

Last line may include good penalty killers as well...

Wow...

Comment

I'd very surprised if Frederic wasn't a top-six forward next year.
                                Originally posted by dicaslover
                                Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                                Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X