X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting Vol. XXXIV: Go pick me out a winner, Strand

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    I was thinking he's better than McCabe, unless McCabe turns out to be an Olympic team member like Suter.
    McCabe isn't exactly chopped liver. U-17 World Champion; U-18 World Champion; Captain, World Junior Champions; 1st team All Big 10; 1st team NCAA All American; Member of Team USA at 2014 Men's World Championships; NHL debut at 21. He's been an ok player so far...
    Originally posted by WiscTJK
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Originally posted by Timothy A
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
      The kid is 16. Be patient, before making comparisons like that.
      He's an All American one and done drafted by the Rangers in the first round, playing with McD on a regular shift as a rookie. I won't project further than that.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
        On the other hand, it would also be fair to say that lesser schools may be less likely to be able to lure talented Europeans to NCAA hockey. When I think of Europeans in NCAA hockey, the only name that really sticks out in my mind is Carl Hagelin. That's not shabby. (I know it's just one player - I'm not dropping the hammer with some big, riveting point here. More potential talented recruits is probably better.)

I imagine he played a role in signing Martin Sundberg (Sweden) and Jere Astren (Finland).
        When I think of euros in NCAA hockey, I think of Bernd Bruckler and Thomas Vanek. But that's because I'm old.
        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Here's a list of recruits and points so far this year:

Trent Frederick (F) 14g 11a 31gp (41 PIM) USA U18

Jack Becker (F) 4g 7a 31gp Sioux Falls Stampede

Dan Lobosky (F) 4g 12a 24gp Tri City Storm

Martin Sundberg (F) 9g 7a 24gp (58 PIM) Janesville Jets

Max Zimmer (F) 4g 11a 29gp Chicago Steel

Tarek Baker (F) 12g 9a 30gp Bloomington Thunder

Adam Parsells (D) 3g 4a 29gp Chicago Steel

Jere Astren (D) 1g 2a 29gp Chicago Steel/ Fargo Force

Matt Berkowitz (D) 2g 7a 32gp Green Bay Gamblers

Tony Stillwell (D) 1g 4a 27gp Waterloo Blackhawks

Dominick Mersch (F) 3g 4a 35 gp (48 PIM) Lincoln Stars

Tyler Inamoto (D) 0g 2a 8gp USA U17 (injured)

Grant Cruikshank (F) 20g 20a 32gp Milwaukee Jr Admirals

Mick Messner (F) 9g 8a 15gp Madison Caps U18 / 0g 1a 15gp Caps USHL

Trenton Bliss (F) 27g 28a 23gp Appleton United WI HS

Joey Abate (F) 14g 7a 18gp Chicago Mission

Brady Smith (D) 4g 4a 18gp Chicago Mission

A couple things I note. 6'4" Swede, Martin Sundberg has 58 PIM in 24 games. Tyler Inamoto hasn't played since October 11th, out with a lower body injury. Cruikshank's numbers are nicely balanced. Is Trenton Bliss' 55pts in 23 games good? Trent Frederick is tied for 3rd in goals on team USA and 5th in points. (Clayton Keller is working on double lapping the team with 63 pts.) After a very long, very slow stretch, Matt Berkovitz has 4pts in his last 5 games.
          I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
            Is Trenton Bliss' 55pts in 23 games good?

We have played Appleton United twice this year. I did not see the games, but from what others have said he definitely stands out in games. Of course it is Wisconsin High School hockey, so take it for what it's worth

Comment

Originally posted by Innova View Post
              We have played Appleton United twice this year. I did not see the games, but from what others have said he definitely stands out in games. Of course it is Wisconsin High School hockey, so take it for what it's worth
              He's quite a bit off Brad Navin's pace of 52pts in 14 games, so maybe he's only 70% as good as Brad!? (who stunned me by scoring his first SHG since High School a couple weeks ago for the Atlanta Glads.) Bliss did have a goal and two assists in 5 games for USA select 17's earlier, so I think he's doing alright.
              I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

You got a goalie commit Jack Berry. First in NAHL save percentage and second in shutouts having only played 16 games.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                  You got a goalie commit Jack Berry. First in NAHL save percentage and second in shutouts having only played 16 games.
                  Decent sized kid at 6'2". Plays for New Jersey in the NAHL. This is his second NAHL season, you can see his numbers here.

He's from Michigan.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                    I'm not sure what to make of this, all this numbers are not as good as Jurusik's were. I think it has to say a lot about Grunwald.

Comment

I'm not sure what to make of this, all this numbers are not as good as Jurusik's were. I think it has to say a lot about Grunwald.
                      I think it's hard to compare GAA and SV% exactly because teams vary so much. Jurusik did play on a record setting team in Janesville last year and his Cleveland U-18 team was really good too. For example Jurusik had 23 saves/game last year and Berry has 28.5/game this year in his 16 games played. (Berry has been out since Nov. 22nd with a lower body injury and is scheduled to return within a couple of weeks.) Seems likely that Berry has faced more quality chances per game than Jurusik did last year, so there's that...

Regardless, Berry has played for top programs all the way up (Little Caesar's, Victory Honda, Compuware) which is encouraging. Not sure what the status is going to be with scholarships next year in the goaltending department, but obviously one had to come in at the least.

Welcome aboard, Jack.
                      I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

I've added Berry to the spreadsheet. Considering they normally wouldn't have 3 scholarship goalies, you do have to wonder what might be happening with Grunwald at this point.
                        Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                          I think it's hard to compare GAA and SV% exactly because teams vary so much. Jurusik did play on a record setting team in Janesville last year and his Cleveland U-18 team was really good too. For example Jurusik had 23 saves/game last year and Berry has 28.5/game this year in his 16 games played. (Berry has been out since Nov. 22nd with a lower body injury and is scheduled to return within a couple of weeks.) Seems likely that Berry has faced more quality chances per game than Jurusik did last year, so there's that...

Regardless, Berry has played for top programs all the way up (Little Caesar's, Victory Honda, Compuware) which is encouraging. Not sure what the status is going to be with scholarships next year in the goaltending department, but obviously one had to come in at the least.

Welcome aboard, Jack.
                          It would have been nice to get a 2 year gap between the goalies so you allowed the understudy 2 years to develop behind a jr/sr and then play his jr/sr. years. This plan assumes the talent level is high and comparative between the 2 players.

I certainly want to see Jurusik and Berry continue the fine tradition of goaltending @ UW, though Sauer was better at goalie evaluation than Eaves is. Maybe Howie had something to do with that, who knows.

Comment

Draft Buzz lists Kunin as #19 overall in it's latest rankings.

Red Line lists Max Zimmer's stock as Rising accompanied by this:

Max Zimmer (Chicago) — He flashes blazing, world-class speed and causes major problems for defenders nearly every time he hits the ice.
                            I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Berry vs Jurusik...it could just be they think that Berry will be better....

Comment

I hope so. He seems like a good kid and, as much as we want (need) him to be great, Jurusik has been at best average over the course of the season.
                                Berry vs Jurusik...it could just be they think that Berry will be better....

Comment

Working...
                                X