• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting Vol. XXXIV: Go pick me out a winner, Strand

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    How very true.
    D'oh! You got me there!

Comment

Just looked at the recruiting chart. Stillwell is signed for next year not the one after.
      WISCONSIN BADGERS
      NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
      WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
      WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
      B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
      Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

Originally posted by IndianaBadger1995 View Post
        Here's a quote from an article by Chuck:

Looks to me like Eaves and Alvarez met up to discuss things and mutually decided to fire Schuchuk and Walsh. Alvarez didn't force Eaves to fire anybody. Posters just see every situation how they like to fit their own agenda. Correct me if I'm wrong. Show me something.
        one week after the worst season in program history Eaves was out watching or scouting a game with Schuchuk, this is well documented. he WAS NOT going to change a thing until the meeting where Alvarez apparently made it clear changes needed to be made.

that is when cement-head finally got it and obviously had to agree.

I don't understand what's so difficult about this.
        Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by UWisco View Post
          Just looked at the recruiting chart. Stillwell is signed for next year not the one after.
          My bad. I was operating off of the old document and hadn't updated it.

Thanks for the update. I was distracted by arguments in here that remind me of every holiday at home.
          Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
            one week after the worst season in program history Eaves was out watching or scouting a game with Schuchuk, this is well documented. he WAS NOT going to change a thing until the meeting where Alvarez apparently made it clear changes needed to be made.

that is when cement-head finally got it and obviously had to agree.

I don't understand what's so difficult about this.
            I had something long typed up and I lost it because "the token has expired." The moral of the story was something like this: Schuchuk was still under contract and should have been working. Article said Eaves was unsure whether to fire him or not. You keep bringing up everything but coaching, except for roughly two sentences.

Recent success (20+ win seasons) in the last 7 seasons: Eaves and Berenson tied at 5/7. All the rest of the big ten coaches have fewer 20+ win seasons in the last 7 years. If you are expecting Eaves to be Jerry York then I guess I found out why you are so crabby to everyone around here.

You have a serious argument when it comes to recruiting; enough for him to be fired. But I think you are wrong when it comes to him actually coaching players.

Another problem that isn't discussed as much is having players leave for whatever reason. These players could have been on this year's roster:

Nic Kerdiles (1C)
            Morgan Zulinick (top 6 forward)
            Jack Dougherty (top 4 dman)
            Keegan Ford (bottom 6 forward)

Yes, I will include the recruiting aspect just for you. It's awful, I do know that as well so no need to point it out. We lost:

Brock Boeser (1RW)
            Luke Opilka (1G)
            Christian Dvorak (top 6 LW)

I'm sure I'm missing somebody else.

Comment

I had something long typed up and I lost it because "the token has expired." The moral of the story was something like this: Schuchuk was still under contract and should have been working. Article said Eaves was unsure whether to fire him or not. You keep bringing up everything but coaching, except for roughly two sentences.

Recent success (20+ win seasons) in the last 7 seasons: Eaves and Berenson tied at 5/7. All the rest of the big ten coaches have fewer 20+ win seasons in the last 7 years. If you are expecting Eaves to be Jerry York then I guess I found out why you are so crabby to everyone around here.

You have a serious argument when it comes to recruiting; enough for him to be fired. But I think you are wrong when it comes to him actually coaching players.

Another problem that isn't discussed as much is having players leave for whatever reason. These players could have been on this year's roster:

Nic Kerdiles (1C)
              Morgan Zulinick (top 6 forward)
              Jack Dougherty (top 4 dman)
              Keegan Ford (bottom 6 forward)

Yes, I will include the recruiting aspect just for you. It's awful, I do know that as well so no need to point it out. We lost:

Brock Boeser (1RW)
              Luke Opilka (1G)
              Christian Dvorak (top 6 LW)

I'm sure I'm missing somebody else.
              First, why are you comparing to b10 coaches solely? As it's turning out the B10 is chit compared to other conferences. MSU has been down for a while, tosu has virtually always sucked except for the one-two years they had the quebec line, psu is new.

Yes, Jerry York, that's exactly what I want. Someone like him but younger. Why would anyone want anything less than the best?

I bring everything up but coaching... what exactly about coaching do you want to discuss? the trap? the collapsing into a shell in the 3rd period? the fact that many players since 2003 seem to be playing in fear of making a mistake? the fact many players play like robots for Eaves? the fact that he has been there what, 12-13 years? and only 2-3 of those seasons have they shown real firepower?

look - I think he's a headcase. he knows hockey but I don't care about that. he's lost a ton of sway in recruiting circles and that's more than enough for me. I'll respond more later
              Last edited by solovsfett; 12-28-2015, 07:29 AM.
              Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Do we really need to have 2 (well 3 if you count the "Fire Eaves" thread) where the same arguments/discussions are going on?

Let's try to keep the Eaves-bashing in the recruiting thread to recruiting items?

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
                  Do we really need to have 2 (well 3 if you count the "Fire Eaves" thread) where the same arguments/discussions are going on?

Let's try to keep the Eaves-bashing in the recruiting thread to recruiting items?

Maybe you could just make an Eaves appreciation thread?

Could keep all of the apologizing in one spot?

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                    Maybe you could just make an Eaves appreciation thread?

Could keep all of the apologizing in one spot?
                    Interesting idea, but I'm sure that any thread that is about UW or Eaves would pretty quickly be overrun by the doom and gloom crowd.

I'm not saying that people can't say what they want, this is an anonymous internet message board, there are no real rules here. But we have 3 separate threads; 1 for the movement to get Eaves fired, 1 for recruiting talk/updates, and 1 for the season and other general topics that relate to current events. It would be nice if we could keep the discussions in each thread to the topic identified by the title.

If people want to get into Eaves bashing in the recruiting thread, it would be nice if it would be kept to recruiting issues only. That's all that I was saying. However, I'm sure that people will find a way to justify anything..."But, his horrible trap system limits our ability to get high-end recruits"..."His inability to win games in overtime means that we end up with a team full of 3rd/4th line grinders"...blah blah blah

Comment

You forgot the alienating alumni and massively unbalanced classes creating a rollercoaster cycle of feast to famine that he hasn't managed to solve for 4 complete recruiting cycles not helping with recruiting either. Although in fairness to metaphor Mike, he seems to have figured out how to solve the unbalanced classes for next year....just line up 20+ forwards on the roster and have at it.

Kidding aside (well I was sort of kidding)....why did Fredrick not sign in the early signing period and why did that seem to not even create a ripple? I know the media coverage now that Baggott is a paid spokesman (and even the non traditional "media" in Chuck) aren't there to ask any questions...but why does Fredrick seem like the next Boesser? Am I maybe completely missing something in that he was to young or some other factor where he couldn't sign last month?

Comment

Originally posted by markwojo View Post
                        You forgot the alienating alumni and massively unbalanced classes creating a rollercoaster cycle of feast to famine that he hasn't managed to solve for 4 complete recruiting cycles not helping with recruiting either. Although in fairness to metaphor Mike, he seems to have figured out how to solve the unbalanced classes for next year....just line up 20+ forwards on the roster and have at it.

Kidding aside (well I was sort of kidding)....why did Fredrick not sign in the early signing period and why did that seem to not even create a ripple? I know the media coverage now that Baggott is a paid spokesman (and even the non traditional "media" in Chuck) aren't there to ask any questions...but why does Fredrick seem like the next Boesser? Am I maybe completely missing something in that he was to young or some other factor where he couldn't sign last month?
                        He has been very brick-headed when it comes to evening the classes. He seems to be doing an interesting job at evening it right now. With the incoming class we would have (roughly) this for "regular players" next year:

Freshmen: 5 (could be more, I'm not fully aware on some players)
                        Sophomores: 9
                        Juniors: 10
                        Seniors: 3

Is there a limit to how many players you can recruit?

Comment

• Originally posted by markwojo View Post

Age, amount of schooling, or simply not wanting to sign quite yet. Any could be the problem but I am not knowledgable enough to know exactly.
                          WISCONSIN BADGERS
                          WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013

Comment

He has been very brick-headed when it comes to evening the classes. He seems to be doing an interesting job at evening it right now. With the incoming class we would have (roughly) this for "regular players" next year:

Freshmen: 5 (could be more, I'm not fully aware on some players)
                            Sophomores: 9
                            Juniors: 10
                            Seniors: 3

Is there a limit to how many players you can recruit?
                            There is a limit of 18 scholarships to spread out amongst the entire roster. Out state high end guys like Kunin & Hughes likely are only here on almost full scholarships (I think the moral of the story that came from Montipetit backing out of his scholarship was that the best guys get around a 90% scholarship). Many other guys are getting partial money, but in the end unless kids want to pay their own way entirely, you are limited by spreading 18 full scholarships across all the players you can convince to come.

Comment

Just did a bunch of cleanup for the recruiting chart today by trying to firm up when some players will be enrolling.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...0oE/edit#gid=0
                              Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

• Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
                                Just did a bunch of cleanup for the recruiting chart today by trying to firm up when some players will be enrolling.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...0oE/edit#gid=0
                                Your previous version was more accurate.
                                WISCONSIN BADGERS

Comment

Working...
                                X