X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting Vol. XXXIV: Go pick me out a winner, Strand

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    I'll just be happy if we still have a team when Alvarez leaves.
    Call me crazy, but UW could get an AD who even cares less about hockey. All the Regents will look at is how much money the AD candidates pulled in at their prior jobs in BB and FB. I'm afraid nothing will bring UW back to it's former glory (attendance and awareness-wise). Even the rodents are not drawing well, it may be a problem in general with college hockey.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
      Call me crazy, but UW could get an AD who even cares less about hockey. All the Regents will look at is how much money the AD candidates pulled in at their prior jobs in BB and FB. I'm afraid nothing will bring UW back to it's former glory (attendance and awareness-wise). Even the rodents are not drawing well, it may be a problem in general with college hockey.
      I certainly believe that college hockey in general is trending poorly...but I have no doubt that the death kiss of Wisconsin hockey was success in football and basketball. While I think all three sports can have success....the pinnacle of hockey has past.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
        You read into his statement(s) and applied your own personal bias to them and came back with comments that were based upon those biases, not what he said.

Of course, now you're the victim.

Again, it's not a "negative argument" to say this is a rather pedestrian signing compared to us losing Boesser etc...

It's not a bad signing. It's not a great get. It's a signing.

You're jumping at shadows lately.
        I'm the one who initially questioned it as negative.

I did notice someone labeled anyone who mentioned anything positive going on with the program as an Eaves Apologist or something to that effect before deleting it yesterday...I appreciate being labeled, thanks.

I haven't commented much lately because I find the negativity annoying and wasn't interested in being attacked. We get it, they won four games last year. That was last year. I'm looking at this year and beyond, and I think things are improving much more rapidly than I thought possible.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
          They are also charging $70 a ticket and some people here complain about our $24 tickets... That's atrocious pricing for them.
          Originally posted by DPlaya View Post
          I'm the one who initially questioned it as negative.

I did notice someone labeled anyone who mentioned anything positive going on with the program as an Eaves Apologist or something to that effect before deleting it yesterday...I appreciate being labeled, thanks.

I haven't commented much lately because I find the negativity annoying and wasn't interested in being attacked. We get it, they won four games last year. That was last year. I'm looking at this year and beyond, and I think things are improving much more rapidly than I thought possible.

Merry Christmas everyone!
          Same. I don't comment much either because I prefer not to have my head bitten off. I don't mind Eaves. I think he's a good coach but he needs to have a good recruiter alongside him. It's interesting to see him go to a more offensive style this year. Can't believe he didn't try it sooner being he's Wisconsin's all-time leading scorer. Oh well, I'm enjoying the firewagon hockey this year. As soon as the transition defense tightens up a bit (looking at you Wittchow) we'll start winning in bunches.

Comment

Originally posted by IndianaBadger1995 View Post
            They are also charging $70 a ticket and some people here complain about our $24 tickets... That's atrocious pricing for them.

Same. I don't comment much either because I prefer not to have my head bitten off. I don't mind Eaves. I think he's a good coach but he needs to have a good recruiter alongside him. It's interesting to see him go to a more offensive style this year. Can't believe he didn't try it sooner being he's Wisconsin's all-time leading scorer. Oh well, I'm enjoying the firewagon hockey this year. As soon as the transition defense tightens up a bit (looking at you Wittchow) we'll start winning in bunches.
            You like eaves, but your signature reads home of the four year cycle.

Eaves hired the poor assistants after Oz left, hasn't fixed the four year cycle, and had the worst season ever in Wisconsin Hockey history, and he didn't pay any price for that, other than not getting an extension which he will get this year. That's hard for me understand and I put that at the feet of the good ole boys athletic dept. I just don't understand the positivity towards the guy, and honestly it has soured me on the athletic department as a whole.
            gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post

Eaves hired the poor assistants after Oz left, hasn't fixed the four year cycle, and had the worst season ever in Wisconsin Hockey history, and he didn't pay any price for that, other than not getting an extension which he will get this year. That's hard for me understand and I put that at the feet of the good ole boys athletic dept. I just don't understand the positivity towards the guy, and honestly it has soured me on the athletic department as a whole.
              exactly. why should we as fans, or the AD feel positive towards or about Eaves?

leave aside the recruiting mistakes (like not sending an assistant to watch and talk with Boeser when he was playing IN MADISON), leave aside the worst season in program history, leave aside the fact Wisconsin hockey's trajectory has been average at best with one good season thrown in since 2007 (but generally trending downward as each 4-year cycle gets worse than the previous one); just look at the perception of Eaves in recruiting circles and amongst alumni and even some of his former players.

perception is reality in recruiting, and that's well more than enough for me to say I cannot be positive about metaphor/tough guy Mikey.

Eaves may get 10-15 wins this year, I don't care. He's an albatross on this program and he needs to go.
              Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post

Thank you both for proving my point. I make a simple statement that I don't mind Eaves' COACHING, I DID NOT say OVERALL, and you go off on repeat about how awful his recruiting has been. No **** his recruiting has been questionable at best. This is like a radio stuck playing the same song. Sing a new song cause we all have that one memorized. Neither one of you made a comment about his COACHING.

Wisconsin Hockey Posters: I suppose it's old partner, so let me tell you a hundred more times

I'm sure you guys will find a way to flame this post too. Tear apart his coaching. Please do. It'd be rather refreshing to hear a new song.

Reference:
                Last edited by IndianaBadger1995; 12-25-2015, 05:10 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by IndianaBadger1995 View Post
                  Thank you both for proving my point. I make a simple statement that I don't mind Eaves' COACHING, I DID NOT say OVERALL, and you go off on repeat about how awful his recruiting has been. No **** his recruiting has been questionable at best. This is like a radio stuck playing the same song. Sing a new song cause we all have that one memorized. Neither one of you made a comment about his COACHING.

Wisconsin Hockey Posters: I suppose it's old partner, so let me tell you a hundred more times

I'm sure you guys will find a way to flame this post too. Tear apart his coaching. Please do. It'd be rather refreshing to hear a new song.

Reference:
                  I'll oblige: I don't like eaves coaching. I don't like to see kids afraid to make a mistake vs just playing the **** game. I don't like 3rd period shells. I don't like the fact it takes 12 years and the worst season in program history to get this cement-head Eaves to change the offense.

I don't like the fact that he had a great 4-year plan, won a title with it then chucked it. Mostly because he doesn't apparently enjoy working with big ego players. Must be like looking in a mirror.

I don't like any hire he's made post-OZ. I don't like the fact he wasn't going to make changes until "I'm not a hockey guy Alvarez" forced him into it.

None of the changes to the coaching staff or offense were Mikey's ideas.

What does that tell you???

Is that a good enough response for you?

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                    I'll oblige: I don't like eaves coaching. I don't like to see kids afraid to make a mistake vs just playing the **** game. I don't like 3rd period shells. I don't like the fact it takes 12 years and the worst season in program history to get this cement-head Eaves to change the offense.
                    Kids should be taught not to make a mistakes. It's how you dictate play for your team. It's how you drive possession. Strange you expect success, 20+ win seasons consistently, but yet you are okay with kids making mistakes. Mistakes end with the puck in the back of your net. I will give you the turtling as that drives me nuts as well. I also think the 1-1-3 is a good system to win with but it is terrible for young kids to learn and terrible to watch.
                    I don't like the fact that he had a great 4-year plan, won a title with it then chucked it. Mostly because he doesn't apparently enjoy working with big ego players. Must be like looking in a mirror.
                    Source for this?
                    I don't like any hire he's made post-OZ. I don't like the fact he wasn't going to make changes until "I'm not a hockey guy Alvarez" forced him into it.
                    Strand and Bittner were good hires IMO.
                    None of the changes to the coaching staff or offense were Mikey's ideas.
                    His hiring of Strand and Bittner were his idea.
                    Is that a good enough response for you?
                    It beats the hell out of the same-old same-old on here.

Comment

• Originally posted by IndianaBadger1995 View Post
                      Kids should be taught not to make a mistakes. It's how you dictate play for your team. It's how you drive possession. Strange you expect success, 20+ win seasons consistently, but yet you are okay with kids making mistakes. Mistakes end with the puck in the back of your net. I will give you the turtling as that drives me nuts as well. I also think the 1-1-3 is a good system to win with but it is terrible for young kids to learn and terrible to watch.

Source for this?

Strand and Bittner were good hires IMO.

His hiring of Strand and Bittner were his idea.

It beats the hell out of the same-old same-old on here.
                      No. When a kid is playing like a robot for fear of making a mistake that his nutcase coach will explode on him for that is very different than going out and playing as hard as you can.Playing with reckless abandon of you will...not playing like you're looking at the bench for approval. Hiring strand and bittner was forced on eaves. He was set to make NO changes to this team, the staff or his style of coaching or style or systems until Barry forced the issue. once Barry forced a change, yes, obviously the coach would hire the assistants otherwise Barry would just coach hockey, Jesus dude.

Comment

• Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                        No. When a kid is playing like a robot for fear of making a mistake that his nutcase coach will explode on him for that is very different than going out and playing as hard as you can.Playing with reckless abandon of you will...not playing like you're looking at the bench for approval. Hiring strand and bittner was forced on eaves. He was set to make NO changes to this team, the staff or his style of coaching or style or systems until Barry forced the issue. once Barry forced a change, yes, obviously the coach would hire the assistants otherwise Barry would just coach hockey, Jesus dude.
                        Also...source for the change in coaching philosophy in 2007 immediately after the ncaa title. Baggot reported the change in recruiting philosophy so look up on the state journal archives.

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                          Is there any evidence of this or are you just guessing? The best players are always put in a position to succeed. If they don't do their job expect some yelling! God, these are hockey players... I'm sure they can take some yelling. You think Hakstol didn't yell at his players? You think Lucia doesn't yell at his players? These guys are not afraid to make mistakes, but they need to learn to minimize them when they do happen.

Is there a source that says Barry "forced" Eaves to fire his assistants? How about a link for something?

Comment

Is there a source that says Barry "forced" Eaves to fire his assistants? How about a link for something?

If it's not obvious, then consider that at least one of them believes it to be the case.

Link me if you'd like.

I know them both and have friends who are good friends with both although I am not.

Hockey is an incredibly small world and the Madison area is smaller/tighter still.

Word gets around fast. Really fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                              If it's not obvious, then consider that at least one of them believes it to be the case.

Link me if you'd like.
                              Here's a quote from an article by Chuck:

"We wanted to make sure that our fan base and people know that this was not the kind of year we want to be about," Eaves told the State Journal. "Again, it was felt that significant changes had to be made to let everybody know that we're going work to get this (fixed)."

When asked by the State Journal if he gave Eaves an ultimatum between firing his assistants or losing his job, Alvarez declined comment. Eaves, however, denied there was any ultimatum, although it doesn't sound like he had his mind made up until the meeting.
                              Looks to me like Eaves and Alvarez met up to discuss things and mutually decided to fire Schuchuk and Walsh. Alvarez didn't force Eaves to fire anybody. Posters just see every situation how they like to fit their own agenda. Correct me if I'm wrong. Show me something.

Comment

Here's a quote from an article by Chuck:

Looks to me like Eaves and Alvarez met up to discuss things and mutually decided to fire Schuchuk and Walsh. Alvarez didn't force Eaves to fire anybody. Posters just see every situation how they like to fit their own agenda. Correct me if I'm wrong. Show me something.

How very true.

Comment

Working...
                                X