First College Hockey Game Attended

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: First College Hockey Game Attended

2004 GLI, Michigan vs MTU. 4-2 loss, but shouldn't have been that close - Cam Ellsworth made almost 50 saves.

First at the MacInnes, 2006 Winter Carnival vs. Minnesota. IIRC, we were doing pretty well after one period, but it was Teslak's freshman year, and he was prone to following up a solid game with a 6-goal outing. It was one of those outings for him and we ended up losing something like 7-3.

06-07 was the first year I started attending games regularly. Lots of memories from that year. First from the original Pep Band deck, Oct. 2006 vs. UAA. My first win, a 9-0 shellacking of the Seawolves and a very frustrated Nathan Lawson. Feb. 2007, Wisconsin in town, watched Brian Elliott get pulled 1:47 into the game after giving up two goals on two shots (I have one of the two pucks). Upsetting CC in the playoffs again, etc.

Comment

Sean, you got me thinking. A little bit of memory, and a little bit of research helped me figure it out. I remember the first game I attended was a Providence College - Yale game at the old Rhode Island Auditorium, or the Arena, where Providence College played prior to Schneider Arena. It was a great old hockey barn and it also housed the Providence Reds of the American Hockey League. I remember Bobby Bellemore was in goal for PC. He is still affiliated with the Friars all these years later. The Providence College Hockey Media guide tells me the Friars only played Yale once at the Auditorium when Bellemore played - it was December 16, 1964. I was just a young lad. Oh, and I do remember those funny leather helmets and the game ended in a brawl. And for those who will ask, it was pre-Cooperall days for PC.

Comment

1992-93 East Regional in Worcester at the Centrum. I forgot who played first but Harvard, Northern Michigan, Clarkson and Minnesota played the first night with BU and Maine having byes. During the Maine / Minnesota game the lights went out.
        Rinks Visited
        DCU Center
        Tulley Forum
        TD Garden
        Tsongas Arena
        J. Thom Lawler Arena
        Conte Forum
        Whittemore Center
        Agganis Arena
        Verizon Center
        Gutterson Fieldhouse
        Matthews Arena
        Thompson Arena
        Mullins Center
        Alfond Arena
        Schneider Arena
        Magness Arena
        Ingallas Arena
        Hart Center
        Prudential Center
        TD Bank Sports Center
        John A Ryan
        Lynah Rink
        Appleton Arena
        Cheel Arena
        Germain Arena
        XL Center
        Class of 1965 Arena

Comment

Clarkson vs. Oswego State at Walker Arena, the opening game of the 1979-80 season.
          Clarkson won, 8-3.
          Bowling Green St. Univ. '88 • SUNY Potsdam '79

Comment

NMU hosting Michigan in Dec. 2003... NMU won 5-2... I was checking out campus before making my decision... I stand by my decision
            It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

I think it would have been a Harvard game sometime in the early 80's... A friends dad took a few of us.. 5th grade maybe?

I really was only a Bruins fan and not a college hockey fan at all though until I went to college.

Comment

October 23, 1992 at 8 years of age. LSSU against Bowling Green at the Norris Center. The arena wasn't called Taffy Abel Arena yet (wasn't until 1995). The Lakers won 3-1.
                LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

I guess my first game would be about 1965 or so. High school kids got in for $.50 and could stand down in the corner of the old Mariucci arena. Doug Woog was on that team. Long time ago.

Comment

BC vs. UNH at Walter Brown Arena on Halloween 1987—Conte Forum wasn't finished yet.
                    "No matter where you go, there you are"

Comment

Michigan vs Maine in Providence Frozen 4 Semi Final Triple OT with Turco in net and have been hooked ever since !!!!

Comment

11/29/1968 - New Brunswick vs. BU at the old Walpole Arena. It was the night after Thanksgiving. It may be hard to believe now, but that was the season opener. BU skated them out of the tub.

Now that I think about it, I think BU played Clarkson at the old Braintree Arena late in the 1969-70 season. Why they played at the that venue, I don't know. Perhaps, Sean can confirm or contradict my memory as to venue and date. I know Bruce Bullock was in goal for the Golden Knights.
                        Last edited by buoldtimer; 06-09-2015, 02:43 PM.
                        if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by satking View Post
                          Michigan vs Maine in Providence Frozen 4 Semi Final Triple OT with Turco in net and have been hooked ever since !!!!
                          Probably the best goaltending duo I've ever seen, certainly in person. Turco and Allison were making ridiculous saves in OT.
                          BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Yale-Harvard in the late '70's. The game was actually played at the New Haven Coliseum, not Ingalls rink. Yale won 6-5

Comment

Colgate-LSSU at Starr Arena in Hamilton, NY on March 24, 1990 - Game 2 of NCAA Quarterfinals

Followed by my first Frozen Four at the Joe one week later. Those two weekends were enough for me to catch the college hockey bug.

Comment

Sometime in 1974 or '75... BC at BU, Walter Brown Arena. An old friend and hockey coach in his very early years took me. Went to a number of BU games at WBA back in the '70's & 80's.

Grew up loving hockey. Would stay up late at night as a boy with my brother, the lights off in our bedroom, listening to the big bad Bruins on the radio, hoping mom and dad wouldn't hear it and make us shut it off. Orr, Sanderson, Espo, Hodge, The Chief, Cheesy, McKenzie, Ted Green, Westfall, Cashman & O'Reilly later on... and on and on and on.

Our dad was a basketball coach, so me and my bro's weren't hockey players... just played pond hockey and street hockey every chance we got. Always was my favorite sport to watch live, at any level. Attended a ton of high school hockey games, some college, some Bruins, and then when life allowed the time, got season tix to BC hockey in 1997. Still there... will be 'til I die probably.
                                'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Working...
                                X